IGNORED

Atari 800 - Best Game Pack : Releases

starwindz

FEATURES
- All-In-One! No other installations needed.
- Atari 800 emulators(Altirra, Atari800Win Plus) included
- No setup needed. Just extract a .7z file and run main executable

I was seriously interested in this and then I saw the note about the .7z file... ...oh why 7-Zip? Why, Why? Yeah, I get it that it's better compression but hard-drives are big, and broadband is everywhere. The last time I installed 7-zip on another computer, I had to dodge add-ons and browser bars and such in the install package; then, when I wanted to unzip regular zip files, 7-Zip was the default to do it, with a slightly more complicated UI than I want to deal with. I finally uninstalled it, but then noticed that my context-menu "create new compressed folder here" option was gone. Did some research and saw that there are registry tweaks to bring it back... ...but I'd rather spend my time at the computer surfing the Atari Age site and playing retro games than being "amateur systems admin guy" digging around in my registry. I have a new computer now with the original zip features that come with Windows 7... ...and I think I want to keep it that way.

...But other than that, this looks like a really cool app!

I was seriously interested in this and then I saw the note about the .7z file... ...oh why 7-Zip?

I know what you mean. What I really want is for the Windows compressed folder to support other compression methods. Give me an add-on where I can create and open all archives as folders without some obnoxious new interface.

The best thing to do is keep a copy of IZArc2Go around. It can open just about anything and it's portable so you don't have to install it (it extracts to a folder you can put anywhere).

I was seriously interested in this and then I saw the note about the .7z file... ...oh why 7-Zip? Why, Why? Yeah, I get it that it's better compression but hard-drives are big, and broadband is everywhere. The last time I installed 7-zip on another computer, I had to dodge add-ons and browser bars and such in the install package; then, when I wanted to unzip regular zip files, 7-Zip was the default to do it, with a slightly more complicated UI than I want to deal with. I finally uninstalled it, but then noticed that my context-menu "create new compressed folder here" option was gone. Did some research and saw that there are registry tweaks to bring it back... ...but I'd rather spend my time at the computer surfing the Atari Age site and playing retro games than being "amateur systems admin guy" digging around in my registry. I have a new computer now with the original zip features that come with Windows 7... ...and I think I want to keep it that way.

...But other than that, this looks like a really cool app!

I will also upload .zip version of 1.1.0 download soon. Thank you. :)

Edited by starwindz

Simply amazing work :) and so fast to implement it into the front end, kudo to you, and just another small suggestion to give the user the ability to switch the music option on or off if they choose too.

One other thing I think that should possible be in the front end would be some images of the 8-bit range (which I can supply, fully remastered etc) with a small history on them , possible extracts from Wikipedia page on the Atari 8-bit, it won't be allot, just a couple of pictures and maybe one or 2 Atari adverts etc..

Maybe somebody here could do the write up for it?, just idea.

A great idea! Changing buttons and labels to 8-bit style icons would be good. Please see the red rectangles in the attached screenshots. :) Thank you.

post-39035-0-31826900-1405194777_thumb.png

post-39035-0-10409300-1405194780_thumb.png

post-39035-0-76083600-1405194783_thumb.png

post-39035-0-20280300-1405194786_thumb.png

post-39035-0-28252700-1405194789_thumb.png

post-39035-0-57235300-1405194791_thumb.png

post-39035-0-70018000-1405194793_thumb.png

post-39035-0-82227700-1405194795_thumb.png

Portable 7-Zip. http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/7-zip_portable

No installation required. Can be run from a CD-ROM, USB key, network drive, etc. I use it on network servers, good compression with no registry nonsense.

If you don't use portable apps you should check out PortableApps.com and my favorite place, PortableFreeware.com. Excellent places, none of that "custom downloader", addins or toolbars bullship. :)

When I try to use the Game Browser button, I'll get the error code shown on the screenshot. (Windows 7)

The decimal separator of your Windows must be comma. Please test the attached 'a8_best_gamepack.exe' which uses comma separator. If it works fine, I will add the auto detection feature of decimal separator in the next update. :)

a8_best_gamepack-decimal_separator_change.zip

Edited by starwindz

A great idea! Changing buttons and labels to 8-bit style icons would be good. Please see the red rectangles in the attached screenshots. :) Thank you.

heheh.. you seem to have misunderstand me here Starwindz :), although that is a great idea with changing the buttons of the interface to be 8-bit in appearance, I was actually talking about a section you could click on in the front-end giving a brief History of the Atari 8-bit computer for people to read if they wished too, from either Wikipedia (information and text) along with remastered images I have of the Atari 8-bit computer range to go in there, sorta like a History of the Atari 8-bit and suggested if the Wikipedia stuff isn't 100% correct that a expert member here if they wanted to, could write it up for inclusion on the front-end About the Atari Home Computers, make sense?

if you have the buttons for the front-end are separate images, pop them over to me and I'll have a look for you, but it may be awhile to do them , as I'm very busy at the moment, if you have them in PNG format I should be able to change them to 8-bit in appearance for a future release how's that?

Edited by Greyfox

I was actually talking about a section you could click on in the front-end giving a brief History of the Atari 8-bit computer for people to read if they wished too, from either Wikipedia (information and text) along with remastered images I have of the Atari 8-bit computer range to go in there, sorta like a History of the Atari 8-bit and suggested if the Wikipedia stuff isn't 100% correct that a expert member here if they wanted to, could write it up for inclusion on the front-end About the Atari Home Computers, make sense?

I am sorry. You are right. I totally misunderstood. :woozy: You just mean that adding 'a brief history of the Atari 8-bit computer with remastered images like that' to the front-end. That's a good idea and I will check it out. :)

if you have the buttons for the front-end are separate images, pop them over to me and I'll have a look for you, but it may be awhile to do them , as I'm very busy at the moment, if you have them in PNG format I should be able to change them to 8-bit in appearance for a future release how's that?

Yes. I also totally agree with you. I should think about this plan again. Anyway thank you for your advice. :)

Edited by starwindz

I finally downloaded this about a week ago and I have to say great job starwindz.

I'm trying to figure out is there a way to filter by publisher or Home-brew? I would really like to filter by Home-brew games, if possible.

Thanks

Edited by NML32

I finally downloaded this about a week ago and I have to say great job starwindz.

I'm trying to figure out is there a way to filter by publisher or Home-brew? I would really like to filter by Home-brew games, if possible.

Thanks

Please see the attached screenshot. The game pack already has the filter by publisher feature.

post-39035-0-05786700-1405256647_thumb.png