IGNORED

Total Carnage: Pro-Controller compatibility?

NeoGeoNinja

I've had a trawl through ALL the other Total Carnage topics this morning, right back to 2005 when Nuclear Pacman (formerly GunstarHero) created a thread entitled 'First Impressions of Total Carnage'...

However, not once have I managed to pull up any definitive details concerning the use of the Pro-Controller with Total Carnage.

So, for those who are in the know, could you possibly just detail for me:

1. If Total Carnage is compatible with the Pro Controller?
  2. To what extent is it compatible? (i.e. can you use 4x face buttons for multi-directional fire?)
  3. What are the control options available?

Thanks to all or any with the kind inclination to respond. I appreciate it :)

Edited by NeoGeoNinja

The Pro Controller makes TC easier indeed, at least for me it does.

I find it a shame thought that the directional fire isn't supported with the extra buttons that the Pro has :|

For that reason I must say that the Snes controlscheme is excellent and superior.

I know nothing about programming, but I would think that it shouldn't be difficult to add Pro Controller support in the game?

The ProController is supported already in Total Carnage. The extra shoulder buttons on the Pro work great (and are essential IMO) for firing left and right. The three extra fire buttons also work, but admittedly are a bit counter-intuitive since they are mapped to the three down directions. That's unavoidable, though, since you need to be able to fire in all directions and Atari chose to map the extra fire buttons to 7, 8, and 9 on the keypad.

Yes, the shoulder buttons are essential for l/r firing but as down firing is essential too, a player should be able to fire in all directions, and with the Snes control you can :)

I know that the X,Y,Z buttons are mapped to 7,8 and 9, but there are several Jaguar games with Pro support that assign these buttons to different functions no matter how or to where they are mapped.

Since the three new fire buttons are mapped to 7, 8, and 9, there is no way to detect them as "new fire buttons"; in every game (not just TC), they are always mapped to 7, 8, and 9. Since when using the keypad, it's most intuitive to map 7, 8, and 9 to the down fire directions, these buttons must do the same on the Pro.

Yes, you can use the ProController, and I absolutely recommend it. It's much easier to fire in 3 directions by pointing the gun up, holding the B button down, then tapping the shoulder buttons to quickly fire left or right.

Man... see, I wish I bothered to read the instructions. I keep all my boxes pressed and vacuum sealed in another box, along with the manuals. And then I have all the carts loose in a Tupperware bin so that I can play them any time I want. I've been playing the game where I shoot, lift up on the trigger, then turn, and then start shooting again... this would make it much easier if I had just read the instructions.

@ Songbird, ok I understand.

I have absolutely no doubts that you know better than me :)

Tried TC again this evening, and it is possible to press the Y (shoot down) button together with the B (fire) button use the thumb.

This feels a bit awkward at first, but after a while I was used to it.

So yes, TC can be played with the Pro Controller and make use of the extra buttons for shooting in four directions.

• 7 months later...

Got this in the mail yesterday and played it for the better part of an hour. Love it! Enjoyed it much more after knowing what to expect (brutal difficulty) from the GC MAT version.

My only gripe with the pro controller controls is that there is no way to fire Up Right, or Up Left and avoid the keypad (or is there?)....

So with the Pro Controller your action buttons are:

Fire Up: B

Fire Down: Y

Fire Right: R

Fire Left: L

Fire Down Right: X

Fire Down Left: Z

Fire Up Right: 3

Fire Up Left: 1

Isn't it a little awkward to still have to integrate the keypad when using the pro controller? It also puts the Fire Up buttons below the Fire Down ones! Anyone use this setup or is it better to just get proficient with the keypad?

Still an excellent one man army romp, can't wait to try with a second player..

Edited by travistouchdown
  • Like 1

Got this in the mail yesterday and played it for the better part of an hour. Love it! Enjoyed it much more after knowing what to expect (brutal difficulty) from the GC MAT version.

My only gripe with the pro controller controls is that there is no way to fire Up Right, or Up Left and avoid the keypad (or is there?)....

So with the Pro Controller your action buttons are:

Fire Up: B

Fire Down: Y

Fire Right: R

Fire Left: L

Fire Down Right: X

Fire Down Left: Z

Fire Up Right: 3

Fire Up Left: 1

Isn't it a little awkward to still have to integrate the keypad when using the pro controller? It also puts the Fire Up buttons below the Fire Down ones! Anyone use this setup or is it better to just get proficient with the keypad?

Still an excellent one man army romp, can't wait to try with a second player..

Thanks Travis.

This is exactly what I was looking for all those months ago. So, based on what you've stated re: controls... can you:

Hold B to fire in conjunction with R to fire UP & Right

Hold B to fire in conjunction with L to fire UP & Left

Hold Y to fire in conjunction with R to fire Down & Right

Hold Y to fire in conjunction with L to fire Down & Left

Etc?

Thanks Travis.

This is exactly what I was looking for all those months ago. So, based on what you've stated re: controls... can you:

Hold B to fire in conjunction with R to fire UP & Right

Hold B to fire in conjunction with L to fire UP & Left

Hold Y to fire in conjunction with R to fire Down & Right

Hold Y to fire in conjunction with L to fire Down & Left

Etc?

I don't think this works..I tried the L and R (with B) thing last night and no dice.

I will try again tonight but thats why I posted, found it a bit odd that the pro controller only partially works for this game. Doesn't make for such a great feature if you have to go to the 1 and 3 buttons for Up Right and Up Left.. Seems like it'd take some getting used to (because fire up is down (on the controller (1&3)) and fire down is up (on the controller (X&Z)) Maybe its not as hard as it seems to get used to..

This is one of those ROBOTRON type games that would really benefit from a second stick...or in this case dpad

Edited by travistouchdown

I don't think this works..I tried the L and R (with B) thing last night and no dice.

I will try again tonight but thats why I posted, found it a bit odd that the pro controller only partially works for this game. Doesn't make for such a great feature if you have to go to the 1 and 3 buttons for Up Right and Up Left.. Seems like it'd take some getting used to (because fire up is down (on the controller (1&3)) and fire down is up (on the controller (X&Z)) Maybe its not as hard as it seems to get used to..

This is one of those ROBOTRON type games that would really benefit from a second stick...or in this case dpad

What as shame. Especially as the SNES version used a 2-button depression method for diagonals which worked wonderfully.

Great game though...

• 4 weeks later...

With the numeric keys of the Jaguar controller you can also shoot diagonal with 2 buttons depressed.

So 1 + 4 is diagonal up/left, 4 + 8 is diagonal down/left etc.

If you should use the numeric keys only, then the B button won't be used, only the C button for mines.

I find the keypad very intuitive and prefer it over using the procontroller buttons. But you do need an overlay so that your fingers can slide easily from one button to the other, without an overlay it sucks though. I just use an original overlay from any other game that has one, with the smooth plastic surface to easily slide fingers between the buttons, I don't care what the overlay is for as I'm only using it for easy sliding, and not looking at it.

With the numeric keys of the Jaguar controller you can also shoot diagonal with 2 buttons depressed.

So 1 + 4 is diagonal up/left, 4 + 8 is diagonal down/left etc.

If you should use the numeric keys only, then the B button won't be used, only the C button for mines.

I don't think you even have to combine buttons. There is a unique UR, UL and DR, DL button on the keypad.

Sort of defeats the purpose of the "compatibility" with the pro controller if it's actually more convoluted to use it....

I really wish someone would figure out the plastic overlays so we could print some up for all these games that need it. With all apologies to Carl the cardstock simply doesn't cut it as a long term solution.

I have quite a bit of experience with card stock overlays I make myself for not only games that never had overlays, but people made custom one and posted them, but also copies of the original overlays so I can tuck the originals safely away. I do miss the molded buttons of the originals, but otherwise if you just laminate them, including the card-stock ones from Carl, with some decently thick clear sheeting, they will last as long as the originals and have a smooth surface to slide across.

I do agree about the convoluted controls with the procontroller and TC. But most games that weren't designed for the pro, still have advantages using the pro, like in AvP you can strafe with the X and Z buttons which makes strafing and circle strafing much more possible than using the keypad to strafe. But TC isn't one of them.

Edited by Gunstar

TC is definitely a game that could use a custom controller, or a rewiring of a pro-controller so that the A,B&C are rewired to 7,8,9 and the X,Y,Z rewired to the A,B,C's. Then I could see that modded procontroller to be very intuitive after a short learning curve with the shoulder buttons for left and right.

Keep in mind that L and R refer to the shoulder buttons on the Pro, and not left and right on the D-pad. If you lock B into upwards fire, then while holding B you press L or R, it will fire in those directions until you release L or R, then it returns to upward fire. And in a pinch, use the X Y Z buttons to fire below you. And FYI, I never use 1 or 3 for the diagonals. It's not as good as having all-direction fire and having the buttons properly oriented, but this scheme absolutely does work, and is the only way I play Total Carnage myself. :)

I don't care what the overlay is for as I'm only using it for easy sliding, and not looking at it.

That's the way I've always thought of overlays. Unless the game is so slow-paced that looking away from the screen is an option, there should be no need or desire to.

• 7 years later...

Sorry to gravedig, but I think this is relevant:

I recently picked up a JagBT BlueRetro adapter from Stone Age Gamer:

https://stoneagegamer.com/jag-bt-bluetooth-controller-adapter-for-the-atari-jaguar-humble-bazooka.html

This device allows you to use one of several newer Bluetooth console controllers (PS4, PS5, XB1, Switch Pro, etc) on the Jaguar.  I'm using it with a DualShock4 controller.

When I map the left analog to DPad left/right/down/up, and the right analog to Keypad 4/6/8/2, I get true, seamless, 8-way twin-stick controls (with working diagonals).  Your character looks a little weird while moving and shooting as you're constantly changing the direction you're facing between shots, but it works flawlessly.

So if you are still looking for a good option to play Total Carnage on Jaguar with twin-stick controls, you now have it.

• Like 4

I am probably in the minority here, but if you use an "overhand" technique with your right hand on a numberpad, I find this is the best way- I have beat this and made it to the pleasure dome.   But, I may be crazy for playing like this, but it works pretty damn good once you get used to it, and makes use of that numberpad.  

On 2/3/2023 at 12:50 AM, Spider-Dan said:

Sorry to gravedig, but I think this is relevant:

I recently picked up a JagBT BlueRetro adapter from Stone Age Gamer:

https://stoneagegamer.com/jag-bt-bluetooth-controller-adapter-for-the-atari-jaguar-humble-bazooka.html

This device allows you to use one of several newer Bluetooth console controllers (PS4, PS5, XB1, Switch Pro, etc) on the Jaguar.  I'm using it with a DualShock4 controller.

When I map the left analog to DPad left/right/down/up, and the right analog to Keypad 4/6/8/2, I get true, seamless, 8-way twin-stick controls (with working diagonals).  Your character looks a little weird while moving and shooting as you're constantly changing the direction you're facing between shots, but it works flawlessly.

So if you are still looking for a good option to play Total Carnage on Jaguar with twin-stick controls, you now have it.

Can you share a screenshot of the JagBT settings you used for dual stick Total Carnage? This was one of the things I wanted to do with my JagBT but couldn’t ever get it to work.