IGNORED

Atari 8-bit s/w for sale

bob1200xl

I'm going to try something different, here. I have a number of Atari 8-bit items for sale - way too many to list individually. And, I have no idea what they are worth.

So, I am going to post a picture of some of my things and ask buyers to respond in the topic if they are interested. If we can agree on a price, it is sold. If we can't agree on a price, I will list it on eBay where you can bid on it. I am going to use eBay sales history as a guide for pricing, which varies all over the place, so don't give up on me.

If you don't see it on the shelf, ask. I also do Atari 8-bit hardware.

Bob

post-14708-0-37275000-1403819208_thumb.jpg

post-14708-0-21709600-1403819307_thumb.jpg

post-14708-0-75500700-1403819388_thumb.jpg

No... these are about 1/10th of the s/w I have in boxes. (there are a lot of duplicates) I just picked out some decent-looking ones. No rhyme or reason. Obviously, I don't know what I am doing.

I have many loose carts and many in boxes.

Bob

Are these the only titles? Looking for carts.

OK - this isn't working very well...

I have 50-60 cases of software, all mixed up. All boxes, some empty, some new.

All 8-bit.

I want to sell any duplicates or items that have little interest to me.

So, I'm looking at maybe a thousand items that take hours to go through.

I pulled some nice-looking examples and posted a picture of them here so I could gauge the interest level for them. I got a number of responses, but now I have to 'toss' my inventory to see if I have another copy.

This takes a while, so please be patient. Pricing is all over the place so I am just going to post things on eBay. If anyone has a suggestion, I'm listening.

How would we hold an auction here on AA?

Bob

Just go through them one at a time and put on eBay. It sounds like this is where this is headed anyways, since you mention auctions and are looking at only the highest bid. And that then elevates the guessing.

Then just post the auction on this thread. :)

I typically keep my duplicates separate from the items I collect.

Originally you said "So, I am going to post a picture of some of my things and ask buyers to respond in the topic if they are interested". And the pictures had many titles, non-duplicates.

Now you're saying "I pulled some nice-looking examples and posted a picture of them here so I could gauge the interest level for them. I got a number of responses, but now I have to 'toss' my inventory to see if I have another copy.".

I'm confused, so that was just a test.

Yea, just eBay them. :)

Edited by chrislynn5

I think the difference is that I am not a collector. I am an accumulator. Take something like Shamus. I would like to sit around some day and play it. I don't need 6 cartridges to do that. I need one cart and one manual, but I have boxes with manuals (mixed with whatever), boxes with carts (mixed with whatever), and boxes for the s/w itself in crates. Just to find a box takes hours of searching. Finding a cart and manual takes even longer. That's why you see mostly CIB s/w - it is the easiest to find all at once. If I only find one, then I have to search countless other containers for the pieces. Maybe I have a second box, maybe not. Doesn't matter if I have the box, really. I just want to use the program.

This is what happens when you accumulate Atari stuff over a 30-year period. It doesn't come sorted. If I lived in a warehouse, I could have kept everything organized. That isn't happening, I'm afraid.

Can anyone point me to an auction on this forum?

Bob

I think the difference is that I am not a collector. I am an accumulator. Take something like Shamus. I would like to sit around some day and play it. I don't need 6 cartridges to do that. I need one cart and one manual, but I have boxes with manuals (mixed with whatever), boxes with carts (mixed with whatever), and boxes for the s/w itself in crates. Just to find a box takes hours of searching. Finding a cart and manual takes even longer. That's why you see mostly CIB s/w - it is the easiest to find all at once. If I only find one, then I have to search countless other containers for the pieces. Maybe I have a second box, maybe not. Doesn't matter if I have the box, really. I just want to use the program.

This is what happens when you accumulate Atari stuff over a 30-year period. It doesn't come sorted. If I lived in a warehouse, I could have kept everything organized. That isn't happening, I'm afraid.

Can anyone point me to an auction on this forum?

Bob

I'm sorry, maybe I assumed incorrectly. Your handle has 1200xl in it (not a common Atari computer), and by the pictures you posted, you have many non-standard "collector" only pieces. I assumed you were a collector.

Most wouldn't have anything close to those titles.

And by selling off only the duplicates, I also assumed you were a collector. My bad.

Something must be sparking this post? It sounds like you need to grab a box and start posting. This site doesn't have an auction portion, only a market place. Try eBay.

Yes, I'm really a hardware guy. I hate to see this stuff just sit in my Attic (and storage locker) when it has no chance of ever being used by anyone.

Even worse, my kids would dumpster the stuff if something happened to me.

Off to eBay. I'll put up a Monkey Wrench II and some other s/w.

Bob

Yes, I'm really a hardware guy. I hate to see this stuff just sit in my Attic (and storage locker) when it has no chance of ever being used by anyone.

Bob

Are you just looking for cash or is there something you're looking for in addition?

• Like 1

Bob

Not a lot of people value this stuff but a small group does. That's why I spend a lot of time trying to archive a lot of this software before it disappears. The games get a lot of attention but the other software gets much less. The manuals are the hardest things to get. A lot of the software can be found in collections of ATRs that were made years ago but the manuals were never scanned because they would have been to large for storing online. Things are different now but now they are getting hard to find. Plus it's not cheap buying them and cutting them up to scan them.

Allan

Something must be sparking this post? It sounds like you need to grab a box and start posting. This site doesn't have an auction portion, only a market place. Try eBay.

Why this? Some of us are happy to work stuff out off eBay. Should we rename this the "where we send people to eBay forum?" Geez.

Not all of us agree with this. I've sent you my offers, Bob, and I'd love to work something out.

Edited by ianoid

Why this? Some of us are happy to work stuff out off eBay. Should we rename this the "where we send people to eBay forum?" Geez.

Not all of us agree with this. I've sent you my offers, Bob, and I'd love to work something out.

If you read, it's going there regardless. So it's not that I want it to go there. But this site is not an auction site, and using it like one is just painful for all parties involved.

We've all sent him PM's regarding interest. But if there is no list, no idea of what is out there (minus a few pictures of items that are all not for sell since they are not duplicates), then there is no way to effectively buy anything. It's clear, highest bid is the goal. And that's alright, calling a spade and spade. :(

And we all get PM's low-balling, not knowing what people will pay. To find that out requires an auction.

Regardless, pictures will be required/needed, and something organized and posted. :)

If you read, it's going there regardless. So it's not that I want it to go there. But this site is not an auction site, and using it like one is just painful for all parties involved.

We've all sent him PM's regarding interest. But if there is no list, no idea of what is out there (minus a few pictures of items that are all not for sell since they are not duplicates), then there is no way to effectively buy anything. It's clear, highest bid is the goal. And that's alright, calling a spade and spade. :(

And we all get PM's low-balling, not knowing what people will pay. To find that out requires an auction.

Regardless, pictures will be required/needed, and something organized and posted. :)

Members here and on other classic gaming forums used to run forum auctions all the time. While there are advantages to Ebay like wider reach and potentially higher prices bid, there are also downsides like the 10% they take on top of Paypal fees. I just don't agree that we should be encouraging people to always sell on Ebay, especially if they are willing to do auctions here for the benefit of forum members.

Edited by bojay1997

Members here and on other classic gaming forums used to run forum auctions all the time. While there are advantages to Ebay like wider reach and potentially higher prices bid, there are also downsides like the 10% they take on top of Paypal fees. I just don't agree that we should be encouraging people to always sell on Ebay, especially if they are willing to do auctions here for the benefit of forum members.

Again, I don't disagree. But this isn't an auction site and doesn't have that functionality. You can't call posting in the Marketplace forum an auction. It just isn't.

Again, I don't disagree. But this isn't an auction site and doesn't have that functionality. You can't call posting in the Marketplace forum an auction. It just isn't.

Ebay is only one form of auction. As others have suggested, you can post items and say that you will accept the highest offer until a set date and time. The seller then can either keep the bid amount secret or actually post the highest bid. The seller can also go back to bidders who have been outbid and see if they want to increase their bids. Auctions were run that way for many years here and elsewhere. Just because it's not in real time doesn't make it any less of an auction.

Ebay is only one form of auction. As others have suggested, you can post items and say that you will accept the highest offer until a set date and time. The seller then can either keep the bid amount secret or actually post the highest bid. The seller can also go back to bidders who have been outbid and see if they want to increase their bids. Auctions were run that way for many years here and elsewhere. Just because it's not in real time doesn't make it any less of an auction.

Again, that would be painful (I just went through one of those just recently) and this site was not created with any auction functionality. And yes, it does make it less than an auction website, because it ain't an auction website.

Time is critical.

You really think someone wants to go back and forth to the sellers for 10-100-1000 items.

What you are referring to isn't any better than emailing or PM'ing back and forth.

That is why they have things like auction websites. I'd love to see Atariage turn on that functionality. :)

Game gavel is out there but the UI is pretty bad and it doesn't have the audience. eBay will yield the highest dollar.

But this forum and it's users typically would like to offer to the poulation first, knowing that they won't get top dollar. But that is the choice of the seller.

Hey, I'd love to get some carts I need cheap :)

Edited by chrislynn5

I can see a lot of problems on eBay, particularly the sniping. I have a few hardware things up there just to see how the process works. I know a lot more about the hardware and I have a lot better 'inventory control' over it than I do for the software. Not that the pricing is easy on h/w, either.

I put up Monkey Wrench II, CIB. How much is it worth? How would I know? How does anyone know, actually? I see a naked cart up on eBay for $95. That's nuts... or, is it? Will the bidding go that high? Is it worth that much to someone out there? I have more of these MWII carts, by the way. No box or instructions for the plain MW or the XL version. At least I haven't found a box or instructions. Should I spend the time to find them? I dunno... If you want a dirty MWII with no box or instructions, ask. Otherwise, take a look on eBay.

I wish I could give AA members a discount on eBay...

Bob