IGNORED

Shifting focus

I've decided to de-emphasize my quest for the 125 and/or every current or upcoming home-brew. My wallet can't handle it, especially at the current pace of releases, and I just don't see myself playing and/or enjoying all that is forthcoming.

Going forward, I intend to focus my efforts on finally getting my game space to a point where all can enjoy it and and picking up only the games I feel that I or my guests would enjoy playing.

This doesn't mean that should a mult-cart appear, that I won't pick up one to see what I've been missing.

I congratulate those who have made the conscious effort to complete the 125 but I just can't afford to do so.

I'm not leaving AtariAge or selling off everything, I'm just being smarter with my purchases.

Edited by bikeguychicago
  • Like 4

I understand where you're at but, funny ... I'm at the other end of the spectrum currently ...

My free time is extremely minimal right now so my time to play games has been set aside. I still, however, really enjoy collecting the new releases.

I'd like to get back to playing here at some point, but real life has kicked my butt!

Enjoy playing!

• Like 1

I find it is fun to collect games as they become available.

If there is any real money that has to be put down, such as with homebrews or the rarer games, I tend to choose my battles and buy the games that look genuinely interesting to me.

But really, Tron Deadly Discs, B-17 Bomber, DK, and well... I need Space Patrol and I think I would be set honestly. I'm starting to get game tunnel video I'm afraid (where I am zeroing in on key games.) :P

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My advice is to just keep a patient eye out for the rest, but don't get stressed. I put in way too much energy and time (and money) chasing these games. I kinda burned myself out. I'm close number-wise, but still very far off financially. I'm missing Spiker and LF2 and I only have the cart for Stadium Mud Buggies. I'd also love to pick up Robot Rubble and League of Light, but those are crazy. To pick up all of these, I'm looking at $3,000+. It's just not going to happen. My back-up plan is to put my energy into a loose LF2, which shouldn't be too rough. I'm fine with Repro boxes for LF2, Spiker, and SMB. As far as a Spiker cart goes, I'm just hoping I'll find one at a garage sale or get lucky with a BIN on eBay. I'm not going to pay $500+ for one. Same for Robot Rubble and League of Light...apparently I can't even afford the boxes :D

My biggest challenge right now is to just relax and take my time. Stop worrying about what I'm missing on eBay and stop picking up duplicates for trades. It's not a race. I'm definitely keeping up with homebrews, but 2014 is an expensive year. If this keeps up I might have to get more choosy in the future, however, they tend to at least hold their value. Actually, at $50-60 they should hold value, but with the recent $75 games we'll have to see. I know they are all new materials and high quality and include licensing, but it's still a $75 game. I'll still buy them, but from a collector point of view there's not much room to grow. From a gamer point of view, I can't buy 15 games per year at $75 each.

All in all, I'm still happy with collecting and glad to see all of these new games coming out. Can't wait to get my play on :grin:

I've also started on a MAME machine so, for now at least, I'd like to put the money that I'd spend on games that I'd never play into the controls and cabinet for the machine itself. I think for the same amount I'd spend on Tut, I think I can get at least the machine up and running. I already have the guts of it.

I hear you. I collect with my son so it's been fun. We have bought and sold a lot of stuff to get to 125. Now we are working on Sealed or NIB. We are at 94 and hope to hit 100 by the end of the year. We are almost self sustaining in the hobby right now. It's work but it's also fun for us. I have to say I may never get the big 3 home-brews. 4-Tris, League of Light and Robot Rubble. I can't see $3k right now for them. We would have to have a lot of money in the Paypal account from sales for that….and at 10 bucks here and 6 bucks there, that's a lot of buying and selling. It is tough missing only 3 games of all the cart releases so far…but I'll live to fight another day.

We've been patient, over paid for a few and got some great deals too. All in all I don't play that much right now. But hope to play more of my favs soon. I'm big on Happy Trails.

Remember this is supposed to be fun. Good luck.

Edited by BBWW

Sorry Jason! I hate it when that happens! I like the repro boxes because of few of my CIB box were not that good…some I have upgraded but it's nice to display in the Repro Box.

Very sensible! The OCD in me screams to pursue a complete boxed set as well as every variation and all new releases. Fortunately, I can tune him out just enough to be satisfied with my complete non boxed set. I still pick up boxes where I can (just got a sweet looking Diner for a great BIN on ebay), but I recognize I'll never have a Spiker box. I've learned to accept that. Once you accept the revelation you have, things get much brighter!

Sorry Jason! I hate it when that happens! I like the repro boxes because of few of my CIB box were not that good…some I have upgraded but it's nice to display in the Repro Box.

The only game in my collection that's currently displayed in a Repro box is my Body Slam. I have it CIB, but the box is rough. Everything else is original. I have found that crappy boxes in my collection motivate me to upgrade.....it's a good thing and a curse :) :_(

I've slowed down a bit too. I switched over to sealed collecting a while ago and currently stand at 74 unique sealed titles (no INTV counted) and 71 sealed variants. I've lost a little interest in the variants and have let a few go in the last month or two. Not that interested in paying $20-$30 for a Sears or Mattel Hong Kong variant. I'd probably still fork over the cash for the rares but not with the same enthusiasm as before.

I'll have to spend some time going through my sealed games. Might take me a while, but the three of us may be able to work out a big duplicate swap. I should probably find my sealed focus too. I like the idea of sealed USA gatefolds. I also have a decent bunch of Intellivision Inc games, but I keep those separate (with the other Intellivision Inc games. I have little interest in crushed and bent sealed games....defeats the purpose :) I'll always prefer my mint opened games over sealed games. Only exceptions might be my Jetsons, my USA Checkers, and my Intellivision Inc Sea Battle :) Also my Stampede, Happy Trails, Dreadnaught Factor, and River Raid although I can't tell if those are re-seals. Pretty sure my Dreadnaught Factor and River Raid are original, but pretty sure the others are re-sealed :(

Yea, i can understand that too. I collect The Intv, and coleco, and Atari 2600, 5200, 7800. It get expensive. Just selling off and also getting the games i want and i will play. My wallet is on a budget. So i just go for the ones i want and can afford. I am trying to cut down of being a hoarder.lol

Edited by atari5200dude82