IGNORED

Controllers. Good, bad, ugly?

danny_galaga

I normally post on the Jaguar and occasionally Lynx forums, but I just got me a 2600- about 33 years after I first wanted one! Didn't come with a controller. I tested it with a dodgy SMS controller, and I have Indy 500 with the rotary controllers for it. But I am sure to get a couple of classics for it eventually, like Pitfall! and River Raid. What sort of controllers are you guys happiest with? I should probably get an original type one, even though they are horrible, but just because my friends would be disappointed not to cramp their hands up again for old times sake :-D Last I tried an original one was in Berlin last year, in the Computer Spiele Museum. Seemed bulkier than I remembered :-o

But to actually enjoy the games, what's out there?

post-10479-0-04615700-1403932271_thumb.jpg

Edited by danny_galaga
  • Like 1

genesis pads seem to be a popular plug n play choice, any pad can be modded, course the stock 2600 hand crampers, the much less hand cramper 7800, especially if you saw its stick short and add a ball to it

Is that the CX 78?

Or that other one?

Bodyshots, what if I have a pretty small pencil, AND I write all squiggly?

I really like the Suncom TAC-2 and Slik Stik. The TAC-2 is nice for games that require a lot of rapid firing, because when my thumb cramps up on the one fire button, I can reach over to the other one and stretch out while still firing.

The Slik Stick has a really short throw and is able to change direction quickly, so I like that on Pac Man style games.

• Like 1

I really like the Suncom TAC-2 and Slik Stik. The TAC-2 is nice for games that require a lot of rapid firing, because when my thumb cramps up on the one fire button, I can reach over to the other one and stretch out while still firing.

The Slik Stick has a really short throw and is able to change direction quickly, so I like that on Pac Man style games.

Hey, the tac 2 looks quite nice. I've heard of slik stik before. I guess a lot of controllers from that era have the same pin format. If nothing comes along at the right price, a mega drive controller will do, but something that looks the part is always nice (",)

i probably have more joystick variety than anybody and i hate just about all of them

the wico red bottom ones feel sturdy

i like this one that has a kind of finger grip called hot shot i like the rapid fire switch

not a big fan of the suncoms i kind of like the tac-3 on my commodore since it is the same color

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

How many people's hands cramp up with the 2600's joystick? I hear that a lot, but I don't have problems with it. Maybe it's related to how it's being held?

I use joysticks and paddles for the Flashback unit. They're styled like the originals, but with modern insides. The paddles are nice and jitter-free.

I also use a Sega Genesis 3-button gamepad for the games that support 2 fire buttons.

• Like 2

Personally I love the original Atari joystick, it is ergonomically perfect in my opinion. Having said that, the original 70's hardware tended to break for me quite often so I was very happy when the FlashBack 2 came out with its improved models. I bought two machines just to have so many joystick backups.

But I must say the video Satoshi Matrix posted of the Tri Fire Pro Stick III really intrigues me that I might want to get one of those as well. They're just hard to find.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiehwBKX_9I

Don't know why people have prolems with the original 2600sticks as far as hand cramps. I never did. MY problem was always the fragile guts of the things, I'd have a direction go out.

I do really like SMS pads or, genesis pads. If you're at all familiar with the later 8 early 16 bit era, then they will be familiar to you.

Wait....Flashback had paddle controllers? which one? I've got the first three and none of them came with paddles that I saw.

• Like 2

man hands lol

really back in the day it never bothered me, now that I have to do hand stretches constantly to not just crumple up and keep my finger dexterity, tiny square + stiff joystick + fire button shoved a mm away from the stick = ugh

I have quite a few joysticks from the era and have no problems with them outside of the colecovision and I would imagine the intellevision

Edited by Osgeld

Don't know why people have prolems with the original 2600sticks as far as hand cramps. I never did. MY problem was always the fragile guts of the things, I'd have a direction go out.

I do really like SMS pads or, genesis pads. If you're at all familiar with the later 8 early 16 bit era, then they will be familiar to you.

Wait....Flashback had paddle controllers? which one? I've got the first three and none of them came with paddles that I saw.

Paddles were made with the FB4

http://www.atgames.us/ATARI-Paddle-Controllers-for-Atari-Flashback-4-ARC200.htm

I haven't purchased anything from that site, but I am tempted just to have new paddles.

(I ordered those paddles shortly after posting this)

The Atari joysticks never made my hand cramp, but they did break. I have a vintage slikstik that is still going after all these years. The Wico Bat has nice fire button action, but the wide throw turns some people off. Wico stuff will usually work if you find it in the wild or can be fixed relatively easily.

The original joystick is still my first choice. I thought so in the 80s, and I think so now. I remember using a Slik-Stik 30+ years ago and enjoying it as a decent substitute. I always found the bigger joysticks by Wico and the like to be too sloppy.

When I re-acquired a 2600 as an adult, it came with a pair of Coleco Gemini controllers, which are actually half decent. My litmus test is Frostbite—if I’m able to play that game without feeling like I’m fighting against the controller, then the joystick passes.

I can see why the younger 2600 fans would enjoy using a Genesis pad (or similar) because it more closely resembles the type of controller they’re used to, but personally, I’d rather not play Atari 2600 at all than do so with a d-pad. Using my right hand for moving and left hand for firing is the burned-in-my-brain way of playing 2600 games, so it’s the only way I can truly enjoy it.

As for hand cramping, unfortunately, the only hand-held controllers I can use for any length of time without experiencing considerable discomfort are those from modern consoles. Which sucks, because I don’t enjoy modern games very much. That’s why most of my retro gaming time is spent on my MAME cabinet or my X-Arcade where I can use arcade-style controls.

Edited by Cynicaster

Paddles were made with the FB4

http://www.atgames.us/ATARI-Paddle-Controllers-for-Atari-Flashback-4-ARC200.htm

I haven't purchased anything from that site, but I am tempted just to have new paddles.

(I ordered those paddles shortly after posting this)

I also ordered the posters after which they immediately dropped $20 in price :\

• 3 weeks later...

cx 40. pads are for later consoles..but the tac 2 is great for directionals but not so much for rapid firing I perfer those old tall 3 or four button sticks with the auto fire switch ya know the ones with suction cups on the bottom??

Edited by Jinks