IGNORED

Star Ship

walter_J64bit

I've just found a copy of Star Ship so I popped it in the 2600 adapter what do I see some biggest blocky graphics Ive seen on the 2600 game. The was game made in the 70's so Ive over looked that but what through me off was I had to use the player two joystick to play at first I thought my joystick stop working just after I'd fixed it. It's odd game but fun.

Edited by walter_J64bit

For the 70s it's not bad, but it really doesn't show what the 2600 can really do and it pales in comparison to later games like Starmaster and Star Raiders.

No launch title on any system ever displayed the full capability of the console. ;)

It would be a pretty damning indictment of Starmaster and Star Raiders if Star Ship *didn't* pale in comparison. Those games came, what, five years later? Five years is a drastic enough difference in the 2010s, let alone the 1970s and 1980s.

I think Star Ship is a good game, mainly in the context of the late '70s. It's a different kind of game than those that followed; it's simpler and much more "arcadey," almost like an electronic carnival shooting game. The "fast" variations are the best (like Game 4), and the two-player games are even better. The Warp Drive and Lunar Lander games are a little "meh" but can still be pretty fun in small doses. I actually like that it uses the right control jack (as do a few other early 2600 games), since I can leave paddles connected to the left. I wish Atari had stuck with that.

I also love the blockiness and the sound effects. :-D

Edited by BassGuitari

recently bought a heavy sixer & Star Ship was bundled with it .... was the 2'nd game I ever owned so that was the game I used to test the system

remembered the right controller port to be used & had a great time playing ...

later on found trouble with left controller port fire button .... think it needs a new hex buffer chip just gatta make the time to install it

the sound effects are terrific !!!

• 4 weeks later...

I've been hunting for a copy of Star Ship, after trying it out on the Atari Greatest Hits App for tablets. In a way it seems amusingly bad, like THE prototypical archaic video game. .. I like the Lunar Lander game, with the wrap around screen, when you slowly move your ship to the edge until one half appears on the opposite edge while the other half is still at the first edge. Just funny and kind of charming. .. It's a little trippy in this game how all the objects sort of look like symbols or icons of some kind.

I just today discovered the existence of the arcade game Starship 1, that Star Ship is based on, which apparently had a mirrored display and some superimposed blacklight diorama, and also some pretty strange explosion graphics.

Edited by gliptitude
  • Like 1

I owned over 100 Atari games back in the day and never owned this game. The only reason I can think of is because it had such an early release and I bought the majority of my games in the early eighties. Did starship have re releases like many of the other early atari games did, or was it just 78 and that was that? Just find it strange I didnt own it for how common it is.

It was originally sold from 1977-1980, and was rereleased in '82 or '83 in a bizarre one-of-a-kind label variation:star_ship_text_cart_4.jpg

Yes. That is the bizarro one I had to have.

According to that end label pictured, it was made the 45th week of 1982, right alongside that other holiday release blockbuster cart E.T.!!!

Edit: My original E.T. Cart is the 46th week of 1982.

Man, those echo-y reverb crash sounds, haahaha. I miss that vibe. I remember when the 2600 was new and there were only like a couple dozen games and Activision didn't exist yet, we would buy a game or two once in a while. Those early games were so damn primitive! No more than blocks. Surround is another game I can't believe was so basic yet so much fun as a kid, along with Air-Sea Battle And Indy 500.

I agree about Stellar Track, that was a great "secret" game (Sears Tele-Games only). We would keep hitting Select (I think) in order to come up with a scenario with loads of enemies and a minimal amount of bases. Same with 5200 Star Raiders. We wanted more of a challenge.

• Like 1

Pick up a copy of "Stellar Track" and you have the ULTIMATE early 70's space experience. Space Invaders does not count. :)

I made a point of getting a boxed copy of that too along the way. While I'm not a huge fan of the Trek-style game genre, from a historical standpoint, I find it endlessly fascinating. It seems nearly every computer platform got multiple versions (and in fact, variations are still being made today, even for touch-based devices), but few consoles. The fact that the Atari 2600 got a version so early on is definitely interesting.

The only game I can think of to challenge "ever" top of my head was Soul Calibur for the Dreamcast. It was even VGA compatible right out of the gate.

I remember being damn wowed by the three launch games for the SNES also (Super Mario World, F-Zero, and Pilotwings).

But you're right, most systems take a few years to get the 'great' games out for them due to developers needing time and experience with a system.

I owned over 100 Atari games back in the day and never owned this game. The only reason I can think of is because it had such an early release and I bought the majority of my games in the early eighties. Did starship have re releases like many of the other early atari games did, or was it just 78 and that was that? Just find it strange I didnt own it for how common it is.

Near as I can tell, the game was practically non-existent in Canada. I have never, EVER come across one in the wild here. Given how common it supposedly is overall, I'd rank it as a 5 or even 6 up here.

I'm sitting on a pile of 500+ carts downstairs, and have probably had a couple thousand go through my hands over the past few years. The only place I've seen it is in Ebay auctions. Not even retro stores in the US ever seem to have it, or if they do it's only at the stores that charge $10 for common carts. It's been one of my more elusive hunts.

• Like 1

Near as I can tell, the game was practically non-existent in Canada. I have never, EVER come across one in the wild here. Given how common it supposedly is overall, I'd rank it as a 5 or even 6 up here.

I'm sitting on a pile of 500+ carts downstairs, and have probably had a couple thousand go through my hands over the past few years. The only place I've seen it is in Ebay auctions. Not even retro stores in the US ever seem to have it, or if they do it's only at the stores that charge $10 for common carts. It's been one of my more elusive hunts.

Hmmm...I live in MN, so basically share a border with Canada, maybe it had a greater release in other areas? Interesting...

Oddly enough.. I was a child of the 70's. Loved Star Wars in 1977. Always oggled this game in the Atari catalogs. Got my VCS to play space games. . Bought any space game I could starting with Space Combat (aka Space Wars).

And yet, have never ever popped in a Star Ship cartridge, nor have even tried it in emulation. :lol:

I think by the time I really got cooking on the VCS, this game was just too old and I kind of realized it in the back of my mind in light of the blocky graphics especially in relation to stuff like Star Voyager & Missile Command, etc... Guess I should give it a shot. :P

Edited by NE146