IGNORED

1400XL 1450XL What is the difference?

KLund1

Hi all,

I was watching the video on YouTube that shows the guy building a 1400XL. But he says 1450xl and 1400xl by mistake a couple times. I'm not sure why he says that, nerves probably.

But just to clarify, what would have been the difference between to two computers. We know an XLD would include 1 or 2 floppy drives. Just to mess things up a bit, there are the Tang boards too, so:

1400XL =

1400XL-Tang?=

1450XL=

1450XL-Tang=

1450XLD-Tang=?

1450XLD=Best of all. Top of the line. Holy Grail, Rarely seen (none on youtube), This user has even touched a real one many years ago.

Another thought.

This video, or there abouts, start a run on 1400, & 1450 mother board sales from Best Electronics. He is now sold out. But I have not seen anyone showing a working unit from all those sales. What are you all doing with them? Framed on a wall? They are useless there! Pull up your male sack, and do something with them, and show us what you have built!!!

I know summer is not the best time for a rant, but this title will see some interest at any Google search.

Edited by KLund1

Ohhh... I would like one of those so much!!! However, I am a pathological colector.

I did once ask Phaeron about adding 1400xl/1450xld support to Altirra as there is firmware available, but he told me the only real difference to a 800xl was the speech synthesizer which we today would find rather underwhelming.

It is one of those heartbreaking 'if only' moments when you think the direction the XL-themed Warner-Atari machines would have taken, I have read the later Amiga was taken from the future plans for the XL machines.

I did once ask Phaeron about adding 1400xl/1450xld support to Altirra as there is firmware available, but he told me the only real difference to a 800xl was the speech synthesizer which we today would find rather underwhelming.

I don't find it underwhelming. In fact I find early speech synthesis quite interesting.

It is strange isn't it?

When you think what a big deal it was to get speech from a computer and now we not so much take it for granted as don't even think about it! I always found it odd that it should be considered such a 'hot button' feature Atari would go out of its way to build the hardware in directly. Have you any idea why they felt that way?

I think the 1450 had its coms built in also, so perhaps it was supposed to enable some kind of telephone-answering functionality or some such for the home office?

I think the 1450 had its coms built in also, so perhaps it was supposed to enable some kind of telephone-answering functionality or some such for the home office?

The Speech and Modem handlers do allow you to direct the speech to the modem, a telephone-answering function is one thing I have on my ToDo list to try :)

• Like 1

Again, at one point speech really seemed to be all the rage. I seem to recall there was at least one speech synthesizer even for the unlikely ZX Spectrum. I think the 'uspeech'?

As I understand it the system worked by storing pieces of broken down speech 'sounds' in ROM and then playing them back strung together to approximate whole words. What I have heard of these early systems really struggle when it comes to inflection. I suppose some of the technology and the ways to approach speech were used in a similar way for midi sampling?

Maybe , when the Software Automated Mouth (S.A.M.) came on the Atari 8bit, Atari inc deleted the modem/voice features.... I liked playing with the SAM software. Phoenetics are awesome. Even when you make SAM speak Dutch. hehe.

We used to call it "Swedish Automated Mouth", due to the default resemblence to a certain muppet chef.....