IGNORED

Super Mario 3D Land-Late to the party but impressed nonetheless

Okay, so once again I'm late to the party with the 3DS and the games that have been out for awhile now. However, I have to say Super Mario 3D Land is a pleasant romp with Mario once again, but so far seems rather easy. I'm already up to the 5 Worlds...and this usually never happens for me (case in point, Super Mario Bros on the Nintendo way back when..brutal for me, anyway). Anyone else find this game easy, beat it in a few days, never to play it again? Since we're on the subject, would the New Super Mario be another good title to get? I love the idea of coin collecting...any thoughts on this would be great to hear, as always.

Steve

Edited by wolfpaw1966

this is one of those games. If all you want to do is beat it, it is indeed quiet easy. It's if you want to do all the side stuff that it starts racking up in difficulty.

It's actually what I liked about mario games, just beating them was never that hard (except the original, for some reason) but getting all the special coins and such is much harder. getting all the side levels and finding all the exits, etc.

I haven't played it in a while, but only pokemon x displace3d it from my 3Ds's top slot tracker thing.

• Like 1

Nevermind, thought we were talking about 3D World, haha.

EDIT:

Oh, whoops. No, I don't have a Wii U, just a 3DS. :) But yeah, I'm now going back to the previous worlds and trying to get ALL the stuff in each one. I'm missing some coins, too...

I wasn't sure if I should get that title or not. I've owned the NSMB series since the first inception of the game, so I was thinking I should own one for my 3DS. Mario said so...he owns my soul for gaming these days. :woozy: But seriously, it does seem a cookie cutter game from the previous ones. Maybe the fact of "just to have it for the collection" would be my only reason. The 3DS Land is most fun to play, and since I don't own a Wii U, this is as close to Super Mario World as I'm going to get. I was pleasantly surprised after dying a half a dozen times that the special Tanooki suit showed up to get me through the level. Cheating? Pure folly? Well, I'm not the best Mario player out there, and I really appreciated the help. Doesn't save you from falling to your death, however. :D

3D world is awesome. My only real criticism of 3D Land/World, is that the gameplay is very linear and everything is made up of blocks. The older 3D titles like 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy had organic worlds, some of which were explore anywhere star/shine bonanzas. While both games are very good, 3D Land/World often feel like giant floating obstacle courses rather than places that could actually exist. If you get a Wii-U, you'll definitely want to try 3D World. It is much tougher in places than 3D Land, and there's tons of replay value to collect coins, gold flagpoles, and speed-run levels to get the fastest times. You can also race other players speedruns through Miiverse.

Controls in 3D World are just like Super Mario 2. Mario is balanced. Overall Peach is slow but easiest to control midair. Her float-jump mechanic will save you from a lot of dumb deaths. Luigi is a good jumper but tends to slide around. Toad is the fastest but has weaker jumps. You'll use Toad a lot for speed-running. Cat suit lets you scale walls opening up the levels vertically. Oh, and finally,

Rosalina's an unlockable character! :lust: You get her in the Star World after defeating Bowser. She handles much like Peach sans the float-jumps, but her signature move is the Spin Jump from the Mario Galaxy series.

Edited by stardust4ever

I much preferred 3D Land to 3D World. Not saying that 3D World is a bad game, but I'm personally willing to call 3D Land the best 3D platformer ... period.

Same here, someone mentioned "soul-less", and that's what World feels like to me. That and Mario feels like he's going slower than he should (and yes, I'm running). Land felt much better in my opinion. Although I wouldn't say it's the best 3d platformer, lol. There's no way 3D Land beat out Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie, Galaxy 1 and 2, Kirby or Phychonauts.

Edited by DaytonaUSA

I've seen some game play (from various sites) from 3D World, but since I don't have a Wii U (and aren't planning on getting one), it's a moot point. I've tightened my gaming focus on the 3DS now, since there's tons of games for it both current and past generation (how many titles are available on the DS, anyway?). It seems it's a requirement to own a Mario game if you're a Nintendo person.

I agree about Galaxy, for example, when I had a Wii. That was a great game, and it certainly makes me want to get a Wii again, just to own that game! It was fun, and I sold off the system way too fast and didn't give it enough of a chance. However, back on topic, 3D Land is awesome. I'm going back to the coins I missed (which were many) to get them all and search every nook and cranny. Very colorful game play, and fast-paced as well. I love that they "retro'd" some of the levels and the some of the music is the "old school" Mario music. Simply classic.

That's true about the lack of co-op play on 3D Land. It would have really pushed it over the top. Too bad you can't play it like Mario Kart 7 and hook up with friends looking to work together through a level or so, or compete as the case may be.

Haven't had the opportunity to yry coop yet. If it's half as good as NSMB-Wii, then it will be awesome.Funny story, if you beat the final Bowser of NSMB-Wii as Luigi in coop (as my friend did),

Mario and Peach still exit the castle together as in thd default cutscene, and Toad/Luigi descend in a balloon...

• Like 1

I dunno, but the DS version of New Super Mario Brothers has an awesome versus mode. Mario and Luigi duke it out in battle stages attempting to KO each other. There is also a Blue Koopa in one of those stages foind nowhere else in the game. I used to love slamming into my buddy using the shell powerup.

Mario 3D Land is a pleasant surprise, especially the retro levels and the old music from the game series. Of course when I bought it at Gamestop, I fully expected it to be $30.00, when it was actually $32.00. Curse you, Gamestop.