IGNORED

Protector: RESURGENCE coming to the Atari Jaguar!

Songbird

Songbird is excited to announce Protector: RESURGENCE coming for the Jaguar CD in September 2014! RESURGENCE is an expansion CD for your Protector SE cartridge, and features 24 new waves, new galaxy and ground graphics, new ship graphic, new enemies, and more. A limited 50-disc run was published at CGE 2014 in Las Vegas, including some graphics unique to that disc, and now the general release of the expansion CD is available on the Songbird website.

post-535-0-00135600-1405656278_thumb.png

Invaders have jammed our newly deployed missile silos, meteor storms strike at will, and scouting reports indicate the deadly Vorton obliterates everything in its path. Will you be the next PROTECTOR?

post-535-0-70578100-1405656291_thumb.png

post-535-0-12572100-1406156908_thumb.png

post-535-0-52523500-1406691388_thumb.png

YouTube preview:

Special bonus: every general release CD includes four full color overlays printed on thin glossy cardstock. Just a simple way to say THANK YOU to all the Jaguar fans who have supported Songbird over the years!

post-535-0-20083200-1418781284_thumb.jpg

Edited by Songbird
  • Like 12

I kind of like the idea it's an expansion to Protector S.E. That means the expansion CD should be really affordable, right? :)

Is it really not just a standalone game though that merely require a bypass cartridge? Interesting if it truly is dependent on the older game and shares code or something.

Great graphics and use of color btw!

This is actually a really innovative idea/technology. Think of expansion CD's for other games you like on Jaguar. Wolf 3D expansion CD?! :)

That would be nice, but it's not that simple for most games. The cartridge needs to have at least minimal hooks in it to support RAM-based content, whether loaded from CD or BJL or whatever. So, realize that I put the hooks in Protector SE 12 years (!) ago. I did a couple of quick tests to convince myself it was possible to load new waves via RAM, then released Protector SE on cartridge.

The reason I'm releasing this as a CD and requiring Protector SE is because it does not contain the Protector game engine or any of the original enemies, music, etc. This CD is a true expansion which provides new audio/video assets and a limited amount of new code, but basically the Protector SE engine is still running on the cartridge and has no idea the expansion is there. So, I get to leverage all of Prot SE then add more goodies on top of it. :)

• Like 3

thats what figured about the cd expansion

thanks for clearing this up.

That would be nice, but it's not that simple for most games. The cartridge needs to have at least minimal hooks in it to support RAM-based content, whether loaded from CD or BJL or whatever. So, realize that I put the hooks in Protector SE 12 years (!) ago. I did a couple of quick tests to convince myself it was possible to load new waves via RAM, then released Protector SE on cartridge.

The reason I'm releasing this as a CD and requiring Protector SE is because it does not contain the Protector game engine or any of the original enemies, music, etc. This CD is a true expansion which provides new audio/video assets and a limited amount of new code, but basically the Protector SE engine is still running on the cartridge and has no idea the expansion is there. So, I get to leverage all of Prot SE then add more goodies on top of it. :)

Not a JagCD owner myself anyway, but although it is cool to see a new release I am not a friend of limited runs. I don't think it's good to have some graphics exclusive to a limited run. What's the benefit in leaving Jag fans who can't attend CGE or are too late to order whatever is left after the event with a version missing a few graphics? Just a loss for fans.

I had hoped others would follow the idea Jagware/Reboot started with their Jagtopus games, getting rid of unnecessary limitations that only benefit eBay scalpers later. So this is kind of disappointing for a CD release.

• Like 6