IGNORED

Project -L

voltron

Those of you who listened to the podcast heard me mention that there are some things on the Mac UI I'm unhappy with. The menu browser behavior is what I mean. It will function correctly, but I'm unhappy with the layout. I hope to improve that in a patch - necessary features and functionality are the primary goal at this point.

Also, the goal is for the Mac to work on OS 10.6 and later, and Windows to work in xp and later - though the setup for xp will be slightly different.

I run Win2k...I hope it will work for me, too!

• Like 1

Thanks for the clarification. The way this cart is set up seems like a good plan for those of us who may not seek out to 'physically own' all new Intv releases but would love the option to purchase a rom to use on this cart.

Being able to tie a ROM to LTO Flash! is a feature that is worth having because if you pay someone thousands of dollars to write a game.....why would you sell it for $10 or $20 and have people put it on a ROM site?

You might not know it, but all Elektronite games are copy protected. Just ask Rev. He tried to have D2K Arcade dumped.

I just want to restate my position on 'DRM' or Copy protection on LTO Flash! and then I will have said everything I want to say about the issue.

Frankly, I don't know why this is an issue at all, as I feel it was addressed very plainly in the Podcast. As Joe has already stated, it isn't modern style DRM, it is simply copy protection. Without it, you won't be seeing Elektronite ROMS being released. Period.

But you say "D2K Arcade and DK Arcade are sold as ROMS and they are 'Elektronite' games, right?" Kind of.

When Carl left Classic Game Publishers, Inc. he took the rights to sell his games in ROM format. He protects those ROMs just in case you didn't know. The name that you supply to him not only goes in the ROM but it is part of the protection. Remove it, or mess with it and the game won't work.

All of our cartridge games have copy protection. Want to dump Kroz? Good luck. It isn't just the copy protection. More and more of our games are using features unique to JLP. LTO Flash! supports those features.

Being able to sell a ROM version of a game cheaply and being confident that it will only work on one specific cartridge and not mess with your cartridge sales is attractive to developers.

Boulder Dash® probably will NOT ever be sold in ROM format because First Star Software, Inc. doesn't WANT the ROM out there. This might change things and allow the game to sell for less than half the retail of a CIB version.

I think that this feature is great and will allow people to own our games for the absolute lowest cost. Without it, we will only be selling cartridge copies.

• Like 5

I think that this feature is great and will allow people to own our games for the absolute lowest cost. Without it, we will only be selling cartridge copies.

Thank you for bringing this feature to LTO Flash!

I am looking forward to this feature, both as a consumer to buy a new class of games and as a potential developer.

Frankly, I don't know why this is an issue at all, as I feel it was addressed very plainly in the Podcast. As Joe has already stated, it isn't modern style DRM, it is simply copy protection. Without it, you won't be seeing Elektronite ROMS being released. Period.

I don't have a problem with this idea at all; in fact, I've been waiting for somebody to do this for some time. A few years ago, I tried to float a somewhat similar idea in more of an exploratory way, and everyone went freaky nuts over it then, too, thinking that I was proposing some sort of onerous DRM. As you say, this is simple copy protection, and in fact, it's better than it was in the old days because legitimate users will never notice it: there are no looking up and typing in words from a manual, no code wheels, none of the other cumbersome gimmicks that have been tried in the past.

My thinking in the earlier thread was along the lines of an entirely software-based solution using some sort of encryption, which in retrospect isn't feasible or desirable on all platforms. The LTO cartridge is a much better idea, and I think it will open up lots of other exciting possibilities for the Intellivision also. I'm looking forward to seeing it!

• Like 3

I do not have a problem with DRM.

I get that I would have to buy a ROM for each LTO Flash I buy.

As many have said previously that no one has heard of a CC3 going bad or a JLP board going bad.

But, if hardware does go bad and you have 20 or so ROMs programmed for your LTO Flash, do you make them available for another piece of hardware?

Do you have to buy them all over again? $10 X 20 = $200.

What if the supplier is no longer around?

Can there be a patch to make new hardware have the old hardware serial #?

And if yes to the last question, would we have to send in both units to have that done?

I do not have a problem with any of the answers that come from these questions as I plan on buying at least 2 regardless, but this is something to think about when writing the manual for release.

Edited by SoulBuster

Awesome. I am really pumped about this, count me in please! I'm definitely interested in a cart. :D

I've been wanting a multi for the Inty a long time, since i missed out on all the previous ones.. Thanks to all involved,the chance of owning one is now a reality at long last. :thumbsup: ;-) :thumbsup:

I do not have a problem with DRM.

I get that I would have to buy a ROM for each LTO Flash I buy.

As many have said previously that no one has heard of a CC3 going bad or a JLP board going bad.

But, if hardware does go bad and you have 20 or so ROMs programmed for your LTO Flash, do you make them available for another piece of hardware?

Do you have to buy them all over again? $10 X 20 = $200.

What if the supplier is no longer around?

Can there be a patch to make new hardware have the old hardware serial #?

And if yes to the last question, would we have to send in both units to have that done?

I do not have a problem with any of the answers that come from these questions as I plan on buying at least 2 regardless, but this is something to think about when writing the manual for release.

LTO Flash's copy protection is based on keys built into the device. In the unlikely event a given unit goes kaput, I should be able to handle that one of two ways:

• Migrate the ROMs for the failed unit to support a different unit, or
  • Migrate the keys from the failed unit to a different unit.

Either way, I'd need the failed unit in my possession in order to make the transfer. The failed unit would then be "out of circulation" once the other unit has taken over its identity. I haven't really worked out the details beyond that, honestly.

Either way, I'd need the failed unit in my possession in order to make the transfer. The failed unit would then be "out of circulation" once the other unit has taken over its identity. I haven't really worked out the details beyond that, honestly.

That was what I thought would be the case. Keeps the copy protection in place and the consumer is not out of money for their digital purchase. Nicely answered.

LTO Flash! Unleash the Intelligence in your Intellivision™

LTO Flash! unlocks the power of your Intellivision™ video game system. It places your entire game catalog at your fingertips in a single, powerful cartridge. It also opens the door to exciting possibilities for new games to come.

Easy To Use

LTO Flash! connects to your Windows or Macintosh computer via a high speed USB 2.0 link. An intuitive graphical interface organizes your game library however you like. Simply drag and drop games into folders, sync it up, and voila! You're ready to go!

Have a large game collection? No problem! Group games into as many folders as you like, in whatever order you like. Want to highlight your favorites? Color code your games to make them easy to spot. Long game titles got you down? LTO Flash! keeps track of the game's full name as well as a shorter nick name to keep the clutter down. Want to keep your games' manuals at your finger tips? Download them along side your games and you'll have them handy wherever you go.

Got a game you're just itching to try? Or maybe you're writing a new game and you just want to test it? Download & Play lets you try it out with a single click, without even unplugging LTO Flash! from your Intellivision™ system.

Set it and Forget it!

Some games aren't compatible with every system or peripheral. LTO Flash! won't let that get in your way. It detects and works around common incompatibilities, to let play on the Intellivision II and ECS that couldn't before.

LTO Flash! can also bypass the ECS title screen for games that don't need it. Now you don't need to unplug or fiddle with anything to play your favorite 3rd party game. Just point, click and play, all in a flash!

Power for the Future

LTO Flash! provides ONE MEGABYTE of RAM and a high speed USB serial link for new game development. New games can communicate with your computer via USB, opening new possibilities for online entertainment. Games can also save high scores and other game state in its generous on-board 32MB flash. LTO Flash! supports all Intellicart, Cuttle Cart 3 and JLP based games.

Specifications

1MB RAM, organized as 512K x 16 bits. Fully available to new games via bank switching.

32MB on board flash. No need to open the cartridge to change an SD card.

High speed USB 2.0 serial connection. Supports speeds up to 1Mbit/sec. Serial port available to new game software.

Intuitive Windows and Macintosh graphics user interface.

Field upgradable. When new features become available, an upgrade is a click away.

JLP Flash support. Games can save up to 192K bytes of information in the on-board flash.

JLP Acceleration support. Gives new game writers an edge.

Compatibility

Compatible with all ROMs from Intellivision Lives! and Intellivision Rocks!, all Intellicart / CC3 ROM images, and homebrews developed with SDK-1600. Compatible with all Intellivision compatible systems, including Intellivision II, Sears Super Video Arcade, TandyVision One, INTV System III, and Intellivision SuperPro System. Compatible with the Intellivision Entertainment Computer System (ECS) and Intellivoice.

PRICE: $119 US plus shipping and handling

AVAILABILITY: The product will debut at Classic Gaming Expo and should be available at the same time via mail order from the Left Turn Only Order Page here:

http://www.leftturnonly.info/

THERE IS NO LIMIT TO THE NUMBER OF COPIES YOU MAY PURCHASE!

post-31813-0-41241300-1405959035_thumb.jpg

post-31813-0-25162400-1405959165_thumb.jpg

post-31813-0-25371500-1405959174_thumb.gif

post-31813-0-91442100-1405959195_thumb.jpg

post-31813-0-44098600-1405959209_thumb.png

post-31813-0-00600000-1405959252_thumb.gif

• Like 8

Some games aren't compatible with every system or peripheral. LTO Flash! won't let that get in your way. It detects and works around common incompatibilities, to let play on the Intellivision II and ECS that couldn't before.

It would be a blast if it can make Dreadnaught Factor PAL compatible! *day dream* :)

I forgot to ask: can software read/write files from the 32MB of storage that can be downloaded later to the PC? I'm thinking of non-game scenarios.

If not, perhaps the software can just communicate live with the PC over USB (would need a Windows / Mac app of course).

hope enough will be made to supply the demand in the first batch so the waiting will end for a intv multicart

The waiting is over.....this is no prototype with gifs. The board is being manufactured right now. There will be no 'pre-order'. Payment will be taken when it is ready to ship, which will be before the official end of summer.

This is a big capital investment. As I've said in another post, don't procrastinate and risk missing out. However, there is no need to storm the gates to buy them. Order as many as YOU want. No need to speculate. There is also no need to worry about others being able to order. Demand will take care of availability. However, as Joe said, if you tend to be a fence sitter and missed out on the CC3, imagine how you will feel if you miss out on LTO Flash?

Don't procrastinate. Order when they are available.

• Like 1

It would be a blast if it can make Dreadnaught Factor PAL compatible! *day dream* :)

Sadly, it can't quite work that much magic. Also, the tinny and out-of-sync sound in Shark! Shark! can't be patched. Some of these things require actual code modifications. Joe can explain the technical details, if that's desired. Likely those are already discussed in the programming forum or over in intvprog if your search-fu is good enough. (Much to the annoyance of others, my search-fu is still, even after decades of use, incompatible with productivity. :P )