IGNORED

7800 XM update

Curt Vendel

There are two sides of this. On one side there was this project, that turned out to be over promised and overambitious. Then the non communication happened for years. All this would be a more simple matter if money was not taken up front. Now there are eventual expectations at some point to deliver. This is a problem with any of these projects. So many things can go wrong. It is like a no win situation. I for one will continue to wait, but have low expectations of support for the device as well as the chance of this coming out any time soon. The money I invested in this was years ago, so at this point I am willing to wait more. I think that it is perfectly fine and appropriate for 1. People to have expected updates on the project. 2. Ongoing non defensive communication about this project. Neither have been done successfully.

• Like 1

Thirty dirty birds

Sitting on a curb

Chirping and Burping

And eating dirty earthworms

Along comes Herbie

From thirty-third and third

Saw the thirty dirty birds

Sitting on a curb

Chirping and Burping

And eating dirty earthworms

Boy....he was disturbed

Dauber, on 19 Dec 2014 - 12:03 AM, said:

I'll put it to you this way: I was an Amiga user for thirteen years.

I would add I pre-ordered 2 books from Pix'n Love publishing in October 2011.

The History of Mario was finally released this year on Aug 2014.

I even tweeted about it: https://twitter.com/romeoteknik/status/499301930355920896

Still waiting for the Gunpei Yokoi book though.

I think going forward, projects should be put on sale when they are all made, kinda like RosColoredGaming does, though their prices are super high.

I assume it's a money thing when this way is not followed, so you have to find investors.

There are two sides of this. On one side there was this project, that turned out to be over promised and overambitious. Then the non communication happened for years. All this would be a more simple matter if money was not taken up front. Now there are eventual expectations at some point to deliver. This is a problem with any of these projects. So many things can go wrong. It is like a no win situation. I for one will continue to wait, but have low expectations of support for the device as well as the chance of this coming out any time soon. The money I invested in this was years ago, so at this point I am willing to wait more. I think that it is perfectly fine and appropriate for 1. People to have expected updates on the project. 2. Ongoing non defensive communication about this project. Neither have been done successfully.

Well I think Curt was pretty open about where the money went. The preorders paid for the molding/tooling, that kind of stuff, which is all valid and I believe he's had all the shells, labels, boxes, manuals made already. Unfortunately the design had to be redone, adding a large cost to Curt, not to mention time. To me this was the biggest mistake he made. Similar to people doing Kickstarter's just to get a project off the ground. You really need to go to buyers with a finished design. You can't scrap it after so much time. The lack of communication though is really what's been so strange. I don't see what's wrong with simply chiming in every month or two, even if to say nothing's changed.

• Like 5

The lack of communication though is really what's been so strange. I don't see what's wrong with simply chiming in every month or two, even if to say nothing's changed.

That's really my biggest gripe. I am supportive of the concept. To me, it's a clever way of doing the things the NES was doing in cart in the 1980s without using up parts in parts.

I'm patient through the delays because of the ambitiousness of the type of project that it is.

But I agree ... communication would be wonderful given that this is now four years later than intended and Curt seems focused on Atari books (which are great) over just getting this done and out. I don't have a "gimme gimme gimme" sense of things. But given that $100 was taken four years ago and I've yet to see it, occasional updates would be great.

Last update was early October and last update on progress to the project was September.

http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/consoles/7800/expansion/

Time to satisfy curiosity with videos of it in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLi-Do192Fk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FWV-Yu41ho

Edited by DracIsBack
  • Like 6

The lack of communication though is really what's been so strange. I don't see what's wrong with simply chiming in every month or two, even if to say nothing's changed.

Just pretend that he's Lois Lane and you're Superman:

youtube.com/watch?v=2EielU8CNG8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EielU8CNG8

Because he seems to want you to read his mind. :D

• Like 2

I would rather have seen the money go into the board and getting it to work, and the case could come later...

I'm willing to continue to wait, but I also ordered some other stuff, including a USB joystick and just said "Ship it all together" I no longer have the order acknowledgment email, and the USB Joysticks are all long gone now. Oh Well.

Edited by Zonie
  • Like 2