IGNORED

Sega Dreamcast - What Games Are Good?

82-T/A

Hey guys, is this the proper forum for posting questions about the Dreamcast? It's not exactly classic gaming???

Anyway, rather than waste a post on just asking that question, here's what my real question is...

I'd like to know if there are any good games for the Sega Dreamcast that kind of fit what I'm looking for.

I've done a few searches, and there are a crap-ton of games, not all of them really are my style. What I'm kind of looking for are anything that's along the lines of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons.... any racing games that actually have good graphics (something like Need for Speed Porsche Unleased), any of the shooter games from that time Quake, Heretic, etc (I have Quake 3, well... did). Any PC ports, etc.

I'm just not totally familiar with the system even though I've had it for a while. I have Soul Caliber, Crazy Taxi, 18 Wheeler, and a couple of other good games... but I'm really trying to get some games that really take advantage of the system.

thanks!!!

If you like arena shooters you can try out Unreal Tournament for it. It doesn't run as smooth as Quake 3, so you can expect some slowdown when playing with a lot of bots or three other people.

Outrigger is another fun game similar to arena shooters, but more arcade like.

I haven't played it myself but Spawn: In the Demon's Hand is very similar to Outrigger but in a third person view that might be worth looking into.

Powerstone 2 is a fun party fighter with great graphics and it has no slowdown.

There are a ton of other games I could mention, but I'm sure you've heard of them already. What you could do if you haven't already is look into the homebrew scene and try out some unreleased games or ports of old PC/Mac games like the Quake and Marathon series especially if you have a keyboard and mouse. If you do, then Typing of the Dead might be for you. Also someone released a version of Half-Life that has better loading times than the original leaked version.

Edited by xenomorpher
  • Like 1

One of my favorite games of all times is on the Dreamcast, and although it was released on other systems (PS1 and N64) the Dreamcast version is easily the best version.

Shadowman

Not sure it meets the criteria of any of your likes, although that's what I loved about it. It's a very unique and creepy adventure type game.

Loved this one, and need to play it again.

• Like 1

If you want a top class driving game, Metropolis Street Racer (MSR) is a must. The Need for Speed games never made it to the Dreamcast because EA chose not to make any more games for Sega after they lost money on the Saturn and MSR is the driving game Sega came up with as a substitute. Sega also did equivalent games for FIFA and other key sport franchises in the EA library.

Other games I recommend based on your requirements are Jet Set Radio (Jet Grind Radio in the US), Headhunter, Soul Calibur, Sonic Adventure and Shenmue. Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future is a bit of an underdog but if you want an insanely challenging game with arguably the most impressive sound and graphics on the Dreamcast Ecco is for you.

I haven't played Skies of Arcadia, but that's the go-to RPG on the Dreamcast and most people seem to like it.

Edited by English Invader

Dreamcast has several other excellent racers as well. Despite a short life, it was well stocked with arcade racers, hybrids, and realistic racers. Many of which have aged well.

One that is usually ignored is Test Drive V-Rally. It's one of those hybrids I mentioned where it has a realistic coat of paint but actually is more of an arcade racer than anything. Everyone played Sega Rally 2, but they missed out on the better game of the two.

It you value graphics, then MSR and maybe Sega GT are for you. Personally I find Sega GT style of racer too sim and boring. MSR is fun with loads of details.

also, 4-wheel Thunder is fun arcadey action with smooth frame rate!

And I always liked Hydro Thunder (long loads but awesome game), and Sega Rally 2 (choppy frame rate and muddy textures at times, and gets really difficult at Year 7 of the 10 year championship!), and finally Speed Devils, which is mediocre graphically but is addictive as crack - find shortcuts, avoid all kinds of props and gimmicks like UFO's, Jaws (yes the shark), King Kong, avalanches, etc and even bet your ride in gambles.

Thanks guys! I appreciate it!

I'm bidding on Gauntlet Legends, just bought Slave Zero, Unreal Tournament, and Metropolis Street Racer!!!

I really appreciate the advice, it looks like there's TONS of games for the Dreamcast, more than the Jaguar even... it just doesn't make sense to me that it failed.

Anyway, quick question. I've got the VGA cable adaptor... so I have it hooked up to my HD TV directly using the VGA adapter. I've noticed on a couple of games including Evil Dead, and some other one that I have, that a pop-up comes on and tells me it doesn't support that connection type. What the heck? Any idea why it does that? Is there a connection type that is supported across the board?

Thanks guys!!!

OH! Another question... are there any games similar to say... Star Control 2, or anything like that?

Thanks!

EDIT: Thanks! I have Hydro Thunder, Soul Calibur, and the 4x4 one. Also Demolition Derby.

Edited by 82-T/A

With subsequent Gran Turismo releases and the Forza franchise, it doesn't seem like much these days, but another fine one was Ferrari 355 Challenge.

Probably the first console racer with something resembling a real physics engine. Even Gran Turismo 1 & 2, often remembered as the first console "simulations", just have a single pivot point. But here, all four wheels were independently modeled which was unknown to the console world and just recently introduced to PC simulations at the time. Sega had so much pride in the physics that they didn't even lower themselves to including a chase view.

I have both of these in their PS2 port form as well (Test Drive Le Mans and Ferrari 355 Challenge), but they've sat in my backlog for years. Supposedly they both included a new track compared to the Dreamcast originals which is why I picked them up cheaply one day.

I remember on the Dreamcast Technical Pages, one of the Melbourne House developers commented on the technical feats of this game.

I'm surprised they even tried to port this one to the original Playstation. As I recall, they had to shorten Le Mans since the developers couldn't squeeze in the 8.5 mile circuit in its entirety within the Playstation's memory constraints.

Quite a feat and one that leaves me wondering just what the Dreamcast could've accomplished had it lived out the lifespan it deserved. Took the PS2 a good year or two just to rival what the Dreamcast was accomplishing back in 2000.

Edited by Atariboy

And one more big recommendation for DC racer - Test Drive Le Mans! I remember on the Dreamcast Technical Pages, one of the Melbourne House developers commented on the technical feats of this game. It was stunning in its day, and quite fun too.

I totally have this game. Long story short, I just moved, so I only recently got everything together. I was going through my stack and noticed that I have this game, but I got stuck playing Alien Front (holy crap that game is awesome).

I felt the need to mention another DC game that blew me away back in the day....

Omikron: The Nomad Soul

This was a VERY innovative game I thought. Trying to be everything popular at once (FPS/FIGHTER/RPG/ADVENTURE/OPEN WORLD) it didn't really totally succeed at it all.

The FPS bits were pretty choppy. The Fighter bits were pretty lame. The sandbox style and the adventuring, that's where the game really shines in my opinion. A couple years before GTA had you walking around a city, interacting with people, vehicles and buildings you had Omikron!The fact the initial "open" world was very Blade Runnereseque (is that a word?) made it all the more amazing to me. I loved a lot about this game, from ordering food out of vending machines at weird restaurants, to sitting back and listening to the local band (David Bowie!) to body hopping (get it nomad soul?) and traveling to other wild places. This game was really cool and deserves a second look!

• Like 1

I haven't played Skies of Arcadia, but that's the go-to RPG on the Dreamcast and most people seem to like it.

Skies is great but it has one major issue that means I'd never replay it. The random battles are crazy often and the Dreamcast disc read sounds before each one made it borderline torture at times. So if you play it, turn of the volume! The sky pirate theme was just delightful, though. The GCN version was much nicer about the battles.

Grandia II was a great one for me, although available elsewhere very commonly.

Edited by omegadot

Thanks guys! I appreciate it!

I'm bidding on Gauntlet Legends, just bought Slave Zero, Unreal Tournament, and Metropolis Street Racer!!!

I really appreciate the advice, it looks like there's TONS of games for the Dreamcast, more than the Jaguar even... it just doesn't make sense to me that it failed.

Anyway, quick question. I've got the VGA cable adaptor... so I have it hooked up to my HD TV directly using the VGA adapter. I've noticed on a couple of games including Evil Dead, and some other one that I have, that a pop-up comes on and tells me it doesn't support that connection type. What the heck? Any idea why it does that? Is there a connection type that is supported across the board?

Thanks guys!!!

OH! Another question... are there any games similar to say... Star Control 2, or anything like that?

Thanks!

EDIT: Thanks! I have Hydro Thunder, Soul Calibur, and the 4x4 one. Also Demolition Derby.

You can try out Armada. It's more like a Gauntlet mixed with Asteroids. Some people don't like it for some reason or anther, I personally love it while playing with a friend. You can upgrade your ship's weapons and whatnot. The message pop-up about the connection type might have to do with your HD-TV since Evil Dead is listed as compatible with the VGA adapter. There are work-arounds you can look up though for some games that aren't officially supported that might work with your set-up.

I agree on the Grandia 2 front.

There were not a lot of rpgs on the Dreamcast though.

Most of the suggestions are good. I know I played more than that on the system, but that was so long ago.

Also, the prices on games have seemed to come down some, and I am seeing more in the wild again. Just have to be careful to make sure that the discs are in good shape. An anecdote on my part... but GD-Rom discs seem to be more fussy about scratches than regular CDs or DVD....