IGNORED

Expanding on the "Marry Me" cart idea

wiseguyusa

Maybe this is a way that microbrews could be more financially sustainable.

If a few of the programmers made a set of "templates" for personalizable carts that could have simple music like "Happy Birthday" or "Jingle Bells" "Wedding March" etc. with graphics that can be edited to say things like: "Happy Birthday Jill" or "Rigdemont High Class of 1987 Rules" people could custom order them as unique gifts for that special retrogamer.

All of the the hardware headaches still exist, and there would rarely be demand for more than a couple at a time, but the coding would be relatively easy.

Thoughts without flames?

Not particularly interested in doing it myself, but sure, it should take all of an evening to write something that (given an existing "marry me" or "happy birthday" binary with a predefined song and graphics data stored in a documented location) will jam the user's desired, possibly scrolling text in and crap out a custom ROM image to burn into a cart.

I could even do it with my Boing demo that plays a weird polyphonic "Jingle Bells" and says "Happy Xmas! From Rob Kudla" when you hold down Start, since it's just a 48x40 bitmap. Maybe I will, as proof of concept, since I wouldn't need to try to compile dasm to do that.

Edited by raindog