IGNORED

Ideas for new homebrew games.

kevincal

The Jaguar needs:

A good baseball game.

How about "JagPardy" you know, like Jeopardy only the questions and answers are all related to Jaguar stuff, and maybe Jaguar competitors from the 90s. :)

A bowling game? Billiards? Snooker?

A good simple Super Mario Bros. type of platformer that is easy with good controls.

a 3d adventure platformer game like Mario 64.

Maybe for the above 2, a 2d and 3d platformer, we finally need a Jaguar mascot. Bentley Bear would make sense. But also a cartoon like Jaguar in the vein of Sonic the Hedgehog would be great. You know a cute little black Jaguar that has an attitude and talks. His specialty could be like a real Jaguar, fast, can climb trees a bit and swim a bit. A great bite obviously.

A good 3d fighting game we need, and actually a good 2d one too........... Ultra Vortek is ok but controls are pretty meh.

a 3d kart racing game like Mario Kart 64 that uses the team tap.

Kind of non related but I always thought it would be cool to have a Lynx adapter that plugged into Jaguar and play Lynx games on big tv.

Another good pinball game would be good.

Also need a golf and tennis game.

Edited by kevincal

Golf!! There was a good golf game on the 3DO but EA made it so I'm sure porting it would be a pain just because of the legal aspect.

At least one more good first person shooter.

At least one more good platformer.

Wetrix- great puzzle game on the 64 that I think would translate well

A Mario party clone (like Atari Karts was to Mario Kart)

Another Space Shooter! (JK- No Atari ever has been short of space shooters.)

Basically more ports of good 3DO games.

Road Rash, Need for Speed, Alone in the Dark, anyone?

I prefer simulation type games so would like to see...

Snooker/pool:

I really liked playing Archer Mclean's "Jimmy White's Whirlwind Snooker" on the ST so the Jag should at least be capable of something of equal quality.

Golf:

I think the Jag should be capable of doing something at least of a similar quality to PS1 versions of EA's Tiger Woods PGA tour.

Space Hulk:

As Veruna's Forces was never released I would like to see something akin to Space Hulk, although games that require a certain amount of tactical thinking/planning like Syndicate do not seem to be generally very popular.

Fighter Sim:

Other than the Afterburner clone Blue Lightning which does not count as it is an arcade style shoot 'em up and not a true simulation the unfathomably expensive BattleSphere is probably as close as we have on the Jag.

I am thinking of something more like "Hero's of the Pacific" for the PS2 (but minus the stupid virtually unbeatable arcade hangover end of level boss) so you can do real dogfighting as opposed to locking missile on and destroying something from miles away.

While the Jag may not be capable of quite that level of detailed graphics games like Skyhammer and Space Wars 200 show it is able to produce 3D texture mapped fighter craft, for examples of what should at least be possible on the Jag in regards WW2 fighter simulations just look to games like Virgins "Reach for the Skies" and Microprose's Dog Fight (better graphics) for the ST.

RPG's:

The Jag could also use a couple more RPG's, shame projects like BIWN, American Hero and Atari Owl project are unlikely to be completed and experienced to their full potential.

While I am certain the Jag could handle such games what is less certain is the existence of those with the time, graphical and programming skills in the Jaguar community to get such things off the ground.

Golf:

I think the Jag should be capable of doing something at least of a similar quality to PS1 versions of EA's Tiger Woods PGA tour.

Space Hulk:

As Veruna's Forces was never released I would like to see something akin to Space Hulk, although games that require a certain amount of tactical thinking/planning like Syndicate do not seem to be generally very popular.

RPG's:

The Jag could also use a couple more RPG's, shame projects like BIWN, American Hero and Atari Owl project are unlikely to be completed and experienced to their full potential.

While I am certain the Jag could handle such games what is less certain is the existence of those with the time, graphical and programming skills in the Jaguar community to get such things off the ground.

- Golf: True, but the market for golf games is generally horrible. Even as a free game, maybe one in 10 people would consider playing it on jag - so that would be a gargantuan waste of an effort.

- Space Hulk : This is EXACTLY the kind of game I would like to code and play, but they are also pretty niche. I can guarantee you that great majority of Jag gamers would moan and complain about the difficulty, as they would try to play it as an action game (which it is not, at all).

- RPG: I have been actually thinking of creating a VRBasic sample (Final-Fantasy style RPG.) that would give you the base skeleton of the game - think of it as a vertical slice of the full game (with just few screens - but with working dialog/menu/inventory/upgrade/attack screens). Then, it would be on level designers to handle the additional content (screens/tilesets/enemies) and very minimal coding effort. I suppose that is as close as it will get to an RPG game on Jag.

- skills: I am pretty sure the skills are here. But who is willing to code a 3D RISC engine running completely from the GPU ? Thanks, but no thanks.

I see the winky face but please tell me you're not kidding. They are working on Bently Bear Crystal Quest for the 7800 right now, which I'm stoked for, but please tell me there is a fun platformer in the works for Jag :)

I'm working on a platform game for Android at the moment, but be sure it will be ported to Jaguar CD just after Android release :)

https://twitter.com/onorisoft/status/490789949902692352

Also, I'm working with another guy on a platform/enigmas oriented game for PC Engine, and it might be ported to Jaguar too :)

• Like 5

I'm working on a platform game for Android at the moment, but be sure it will be ported to Jaguar CD just after Android release :)

Also, I'm working with another guy on a platform/enigmas oriented game for PC Engine, and it might be ported to Jaguar too :)

Awesome! You are the man!!

Look forward to