IGNORED

Lotharek HxC Floppy Emulator --- (Support & Information)

Omega-TI

Okay, just to show you I'm not crazy and the thing is hooked up properly and at least is capable of reading, there is a video at

THIS LINK. I just cannot figure out why others like Road Hunter will not load. Is there something obvious I'm missing here?

Figured it out.

what what what

what what what

Some of the disk images that I originally tried to use simply would not work. So I formatted a blank 80 track disk on the TI to get a 'proper image', then used DSK2PC to send it to the laptop via the HDX. I then I made a few copies of the image, used TI99DIR to change the disk names, and then used the HxC program to make the conversions to the ".hfe" format, loaded them all on the SD card, popped it into the unit and viola, it works. Now I can freely copy back and forth and between DSK2, HDX and the HxC (as DSK1). :)

The original setup took a little bit longer than expected, but now I don't have to mess with diskettes, I just press a button to select the 'disk' that I want and that's it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

After having this thing for a while I found there is one little irritating thing about it that drives me NUTZ, the PC software. When I want to convert a DSK file to HFE format it does a great job, it's just that I wish the software would REMEMBER the last directory used for input and output. Every time you load the program to use it, you have to tell it which directories you want to use. If they updated the PC software everything would be PERFECT.

post-35324-0-30867700-1411402935_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

After having this thing for a while I found there is one little irritating thing about it that drives me NUTZ, the PC software. When I want to convert a DSK file to HFE format it does a great job, it's just that I wish the software would REMEMBER the last directory used for input and output. Every time you load the program to use it, you have to tell it which directories you want to use. If they updated the PC software everything would be PERFECT.

Things like this are what I mean when I say it's a "clunky" affair. Sounds like you're now experiencing some of my frustration! :)

And perfect would be if the hardware was designed in such a way that would render that step of "necessary" software on the PC end - unnecessary. Drag and drop or bust! :lol:

Things like this are what I mean when I say it's a "clunky" affair. Sounds like you're now experiencing some of my frustration! :)

And perfect would be if the hardware was designed in such a way that would render that step of "necessary" software on the PC end - unnecessary. Drag and drop or bust! :lol:

Well it's irritating, but one I can live with, since I have to, besides. A lot of times I do "DRAG & DROP" individual files from a newly downloaded ZIP file into a temporary HDX subdirectory and then copy the files to a pre-existing virtual disk on the HxC.

• 7 months later...

GRAB BAG

Here is one of my 'new' favorite images on my HxC.

It boots in XB (it's an auto loader for other E/A 5 stuff included on the virtual diskette).

The format requires your controller to support DSSD/80 Track (360K)

I'd like to see one of your favorite disks too. :)

Hi Omega,

before I grab my bag, is it a MS-DOS-Disk or a TI-Disk ?

(If I convert the HFE it tells me it´s DOS-formatted)

thx

Ralf

/EDIT/ Also TI99DIR won´t open it /

Edited by schmitzi

before I grab my bag...

The file is a ZIP, you'll have to take the RASMUS.hfe file out and put it directly on the HxC's SD card. No other processing is necessary.

If you don't have a Lotharek HxC drive, send me a PM and I'll convert it into a DSK image for you that Ti99Dir can manipulate.

You many not want to bother though, as you probably already have all the Rasmus games. This .hfe is just his games with BOOT as the loader.

• Like 1

yes, thanks.

I just wanted to fiddle that HFE-file out, nosy as I am :) and then recognized that the DSK is 360K of size.

As my HxC is hanging on an MyArc´s DDCC-1, without the compability of 360K (or am I wrong?), I just decided to have a look into the DSK-file.

Then I recko´d that it seems to be a PC´s Dos-format-file, as TI99DIR also tells me that, not able to open it....

But I will copy it to my SD-card today just to try it out, as you told me.

thx for the infos, I´ll let you know

schmitzi

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to fiddle that HFE-file out, nosy as I am

In the future you'll might have some fun fiddling out the 'dual image' I have planned once that Myarc DSDD 80 track clone becomes available. Since the Lotharek will act as a two drives, I have a plans for a DSK1/DSK2 arrangement acting as one 1.44 megabyte 'special' from a single menu. To pull it off with some style, it would be nice to have an improved/hacked/updated version of BOOT, but still, it'll be interesting.

According to the Lotharek website, the device can be controlled from software to access ANY of the DSK images on the device, so theoretically, with an updated menu system, one could have instant access to literally GIGABYTES of data, but TI HxC users have not reached critical mass yet, so it probably will NOT happen with an new uber menu.

• Like 2

oh, very good idea. .... to controll the HxC-drive from TI, all the commands you can achieve with the 3 push-buttions ?

-> a DSR for that would be nice to have some basic-commands like

CALL HXC_DIR("PATH_ON_SD")

CALL HXC_CD("PATH_ON_SD") ie CALL HXC_CD("\")

CALL HXC_MNT(1,"PATH_ON_SD\FILE.HFE") (1 for DSK1)

and some DOS-like

CALL HXC_FORMAT(1)

CALL HXC_COPY ("PATH_ON_SD\EMPTY_STD_FILE90K.HFE","PATH_ON_SD\MY_NEW_DISK.HFE"

CALL HXC_DEL("BLA.HFE")

and some for direct access to HFE´s (without the need of mounting)

CALL HCX_HFE_DIR("BLA.HFE")

CALL HCX_HFE_LOAD("BLA.HFE","MY_TI_PROG)

:)

OK, I dream on now :) :)

• Like 1

oh, very good idea. .... to controll the HxC-drive from TI, all the commands you can achieve with the 3 push-buttions ?

-> a DSR for that would be nice to have some basic-commands like

CALL HXC_DIR("PATH_ON_SD")

CALL HXC_CD("PATH_ON_SD") ie CALL HXC_CD("\")

CALL HXC_MNT(1,"PATH_ON_SD\FILE.HFE") (1 for DSK1)

and some DOS-like

CALL HXC_FORMAT(1)

CALL HXC_COPY ("PATH_ON_SD\EMPTY_STD_FILE90K.HFE","PATH_ON_SD\MY_NEW_DISK.HFE"

CALL HXC_DEL("BLA.HFE")

and some for direct access to HFE´s (without the need of mounting)

CALL HCX_HFE_DIR("BLA.HFE")

CALL HCX_HFE_LOAD("BLA.HFE","MY_TI_PROG)

:)

OK, I dream on now :) :)

Yeah, the document on his site << HERE >> touches on some of this, but like you, I believe a dream is all this will ever be. :(

I'm figuring this is WAY too advanced for most of the programmers here. While it mentions the method, someone would have to figure out how to actually implement it on the the TI, then not just write a program but the whole ball of wax like the driver interface, access routines, etc. Since this is something that has never been done on the TI before, it would also require a great deal of time and effort out of someones life as well.

The trouble is, thinking stuff up has always been much easier than actually making it work and come true. Sure, it would be easy for the person using the software, but a freaking nightmare to write all the code and get it to work.

Still, as dreams go, it was great one, because at last it would have been an affordable way to bring mass storage to the average TI'er.

• Like 1

/EDIT/ YES, we need a miracle for that :) :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am still not able to use your BAG-grab, Omega.

Isn´t DSDD-80track = 720 KB (instead of 360KB) ?

I know about converting, but the TI99DIR cannot open the DSK as it tells me it is a DOS-format not TI-disk.

MayDay :)

Edited by schmitzi

• 2 weeks later...

Is the memory card on this device (looks like an SD card, correct?) hot swappable?

Meaning could I take it out of 1 TI and put it another TI without turning off the power to both?

Or does it need to power up with the system like a CF card?

Gazoo

If you once had a HxC, you´ll never want to use a floppydrive anymore....I assume

There is also a version with direct USB- or LAN-connect, means you don´t have the need of a SD-card,

but you connect the emudrive via USB or LAN or or or and can insert the Disk remotely from any webbrowser :)

but I on my own prefer SD because of my well-maintenanced DSK-repositories, but here you have to controll it

with the 3 buttons on the HxC-drive (inserting/choosing/ejecting the disks (=HFE-files) from the SD-card)

If you once had a HxC, you´ll never want to use a floppydrive anymore....I assume

Most TI'ers say that about their hard drives, so replace HXC with SCSI or MFM drive. :) Walt Howe was the first TI'er I heard say it. :) ...about 27 years ago.

Now I'd never give up my CF SCSI drive, on my Geneve or my TI. ;)

Gazoo

Now I'd never give up my CF SCSI drive, on my Geneve or my TI. ;)

I would be nice to be able to say that! It sucks, but until a newer and more affordable option becomes available, I'll have to stick with my 'beer budget' HxC. Considering what I actually do on the TI, the less I think I 'need' one.

Not being easy to get, I think, worked in my favor for once.