IGNORED

VisualBB Configuration Wizard issues

Chiptune Goon

Every time I open up VisualBB, it opens up the configuration wizard as though it was my first time running the program. It seems to remember my recent projects, but it is getting annoying having to reset the path to 2600.exe and Stella.exe every time I open the compiler.

How do I get VisualBB to remember to stop activating the configuration wizard on startup?

post-39963-0-32850200-1407349964_thumb.png

Moving it off your desktop probably wouldn't change anything because something is blocking it from writing to the registry like local machine policy or antivirus. Try right clicking Run As administrator to see if that changes anything.

-Jeff

Dang, still no luck. Guess I'll just have to deal with it.

Try exporting the relevant bit of the registry tree using regedit on a working system, as a .reg file. Then move the reg file over to the problem Windows 8 system and double-click it.

If it doesn't work-around the problem, you may get an error message that gives some insight as to why it's failing.

• Like 1

Try exporting the relevant bit of the registry tree using regedit on a working system, as a .reg file. Then move the reg file over to the problem Windows 8 system and double-click it.

If it doesn't work-around the problem, you may get an error message that gives some insight as to why it's failing.

Got a solution for windows 7?

Is there an older version of Visualbb I can use that doesnt have a configuration wizard and isn't too buggy?

The same solution should work for Windows 8.

Fair warning, I mostly run Linux these days, so I'm not a VBB user. But it's a general problem of the app not seeing entries that it put into the registry, so a manual attempt of putting the same values into the registry seems like a good first step to me.

No idea on alternate VBB versions, but it's probably better that we exhaust troubleshooting first. Otherwise this OS setting/incompatibility issue will never get worked out.

Should only occur when the keys aren't present. Might be encountering an error during write. I would delete the keys and rerun vbb. I run it on win7 so it's something unique to the individual's box.

UPDATE: I checked the code and it's pretty simple. It checks every subkey in HLKM/Software for VisualbB and if it doesn't find it, vbb assumes it's being run for the first time. Something on the box must be preventing that key from being read or written to.

-Jeff

Jeff, is it possibly a 32-bit binary on 64-bit issue?

Are you guys running 64-bit versions of Windows?

Absarutly! I don't have access to the problem Win 8 64-bit system now. You'd think .Net would be smart enough to compile the bytecode for whatever flavor it is running on. Then again, they could be dumb enough to go lazy and just use SysWow64.