IGNORED

Asteroids 5200 controller: Has it been found?

Prosystemsearch

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I actually know the industrial designer who worked on this 5200 kids controller and still has the prototype. Not sure if it's functional or not. Will try and find out.

Interesting. The 5200 Kids Controller is the 2600 Kids Controller painted black and with a 5200 compatible cable and wiring.

Why wouldn't it be? Cheaper to do it this way.

I'm not saying it wasn't. Just seemed interesting that someone would be described as the industrial designer of that 5200 controller when it was a 2600 controller with different wiring and paint. Dan Kramer still has the label strips for the 5200 version for sale...

• 10 months later...

No.

It uses the analog controller. The only way to make it work with a digital controller is to hack the colrols in the game.

Allan

Sorry to bump a (relatively) old thread, but could a button controller be wired to be analog? Meaning, the left/right/up/down buttons could be wired to output the expected values for left/right/up/down from an analog joystick (I assume they are pot voltages). I was wondering if there is a schematic out there for such a thing or if someone could draw one up with the correct resistors or whatever for each of the directional buttons. I assume that the fire buttons would be straightforward and wouldn't need any adjustments. That way it would (or should) work with either the Wico keypad controller or a Masterplay or Redemption controller, yes?

sure i rigged up an altoid tin controller you really only need two 240kohm resistors 7 pushbuttons (one for start)

Well, I was thinking of something that would plug into the Wico keypad (which already has the Start/Pause/Reset buttons) or the a Masterplay (that would have a regular 5200 joystick plugged in the other side for those buttons) with a 9-pin cord. If you wouldn't mind helping out the ignorant (like me), could you draw up a simple wiring diagram for a 5200 Starplex? If I make one I'd have both fire buttons on both sides (lefty/righty). And no faux woodgrain, of course, haahaahaha.

post-15067-0-47017800-1501079943.jpg

Here is one made back in the day from a company named Questar, they used real leaf switches along with coin-op arcade-style buttons, well designed, I used to see this all the time when I subscribed to Electronic Games magazine back in the day (1982-85)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...