IGNORED

What's the highest H.E.R.O. level you've defeated?

24Fanatic365

• 4 weeks later...

Six exclamation marks is Activision-ese for 1 million points, and normally makes the gameplay stop (cf. Kaboom, River Raid, Laser Blast, et al.). This thread has a couple posts from people who reached that benchmark in H.E.R.O., so it sounds like StanJr's also a member of that elite. :)

I assume everyone knows this, but the game selection in HERO allows you to adjust your starting level. If you are having trouble with 13 - 20 then you can start right at #13 by playing game 4.

From the manual:

Game 5 starts on level 17, but all following levels are random. No level number appears during game 5.

Thanks for the useful info, thegoldenband, and wongojack. I had no idea about either the exclamation marks or the game select. Oh the woes of being an Atari newbie (after a few decades!) and playing everything on a Harmony cart without googling the instruction manuals! Now I'll have to start skipping the lower levels to hone my H.E.R.O. miner saving skills!

My first experience with this game was on the C64. That is where I think I got the farthest way back when. I'd been going through a phase of playing the 2600 version (kinda because of this thread), and I decided to fire up VICE and try the C64 version again. There is a noticeable difference between the PAL and NTSC modes in terms of speed and control sensitivity on the C64. (NTSC is faster) It is actually a little easier to make precise movements, but you have to get further away from bombs before they explode. More precise movements also opens the door for some mistakes, but overall, I think the C64 version is a little easier and gives you a very small amount of extra space to avoid sh!+

Ok, using a c64 emulator with a hack that lets me skip to any level, I was able to practice the higher levels individually. After doing that, I made it back to 16 (119k) when starting from #1. I'm sure I'll go farther next time as I had some cheap deaths in there.

I think the hardest levels are 9, 16, & 20 (19 is no slouch). Practicing the higher levels is very helpful because the rest of the game feels like it moves very slowly once you get the hang of the obstacles on 20. Those fast moths are particularly tough.