IGNORED

CF7+ or NanoPEB - which is better?

dphirschler

Is one better than the other? Are they the same only CF vs SD memory? Can I see some pics of the NanoPEB? Are they just a bare board or is there a case for it? Has anybody mounted one internally?

Darryl

If you want to see some photos, there are 18 up closeup & personal photo's of the Nano-PEB << HERE >>

Click on the individual photos to get the larger view.

It comes down to personal preference, the CF7 (parallel port) or Nano-PEB (serial port). Other than the I/O device there is no other functional difference between the two units.

The design will not fit into the console very well (if at all) and you would have major issues gaining easy access to the CF card that way. The truth is you'll probably be plugging and unplugging the CF every time you download and want to install a new program, unless to get a cable and use the CFHDXS1 program.

I agree with RobertLM78, the Nano seems like the best way to go if you plan to go this route and not with a full-blown TI-PEB.

I got a CF7+ with a printer port. IF you do decide to buy a CF7 or NanoPEB from that guy on ebay who is making them, be sure to tell him if you have a f18a card installed in your TI99. He has to make the card a little different for the f18a.

Also, be sure to get a power supply and have a good speech module. I had all kinds of problems with my CF7 till I replaced the speech module with one in much better shape.

I got a CF7+ with a printer port. IF you do decide to buy a CF7 or NanoPEB from that guy on ebay who is making them, be sure to tell him if you have a f18a card installed in your TI99. He has to make the card a little different for the f18a.

Also, be sure to get a power supply and have a good speech module. I had all kinds of problems with my CF7 till I replaced the speech module with one in much better shape.

What is different about it? I have a CF7+ and an F18A with no problems.

I also had problems with my speech synth and the nanoPEB but no problems with the F18A and the nanoPEB.

What is different about it? I have a CF7+ and an F18A with no problems.

Maybe I have a slightly newer model or something but when I told him about some of the issues I was having he said I needed to swap it out for one he made for the f18a. he said it was some kind of timing issues.

what was happening was when I turned on the TI99 sometimes it would lock up. when I got the 'f18a fixed' one that problem went away.

Edited by hloberg

Maybe I have a slightly newer model or something but when I told him about some of the issues I was having he said I needed to swap it out for one he made for the f18a. he said it was some kind of timing issues.

what was happening was when I turned on the TI99 sometimes it would lock up. when I got the 'f18a fixed' one that problem went away.

I will count myself lucky for not having any issues, then. Now, I did purchase my CF7+ a bit late in the game, so I guess it is also possible that I got one of the newer designs. I dunno...

Edited by OLD CS1

Also, Why CF and not SD? SD is definitely more compact, more universal, cheaper, and maybe even faster.

Because to use SD you'll need a microcontroller as part of the interface. CF is far easier to interface to systems such as the TI, and is plenty fast enough to work at the speed of the TI.

Because to use SD you'll need a microcontroller as part of the interface. CF is far easier to interface to systems such as the TI, and is plenty fast enough to work at the speed of the TI.

Also, if you were thinking of asking; I tried using a SD/CF card (where you can insert an SD card into a CF card interface) on the CF7+ and it didn't work, constantly got read and write errors.

Edited by hloberg

• 2 weeks later...

Help me buy one of these. I found a link (in French) to buy the NanoPEB/CF7+, but they don't ship to the USA apparently. Can somebody allow me to ship to their address and then ship it to me? I'll pay the additional shipping cost of course.

http://www.stargames.be/shop/accessoires/4085-compactflash-drive-rs-232-nanoped.html

Darryl

The nanoPEB and CF7+ are Jaime Malilong's babies. Have you tried to contact him? His email is at the bottom of his support page (http://webpages.charter.net/nanopeb/). I bought mine about 3 years ago on Ebay from him (schmutzig1952). I haven't seen anything from him for awhile, though.

...lee

• 2 weeks later...

Woo hoo! I have my NanoPEB! Now what? LOL... Reading the documentation now.

First observations:

Darryl

Edited by dphirschler

gonna need the power supply, or in my case, I did. Mine didn't work without it. I just bought the one he supplies, I think it was only $15.00.

If you go get one yourself be sure it has a very solid +5. Most cell phone type charges aren't very stable.

Also, speech module my cause problems. clean the contacts real good. I had some problems with an old speech module I had because the contacts were worn out. I kept getting memory errors.

that being said, after I addressed these initial problems mine is now very stable.

Also, use TI99DIR to write to it. it's a lot easier than the utility he supplies on his site.

What I would love to see is a device that would let us PEB owners (or those with actual disk drives) to be able to add a memory card interface that could act as a 3rd or 4th drive in the system. Basically an easy way to transfer files to/from real floppies without having to go through the serial port.

What I would love to see is a device that would let us PEB owners (or those with actual disk drives) to be able to add a memory card interface that could act as a 3rd or 4th drive in the system. Basically an easy way to transfer files to/from real floppies without having to go through the serial port.

You're in luck! It's already available. You can read more about it << HERE >>.