IGNORED

Sega's 3D Classics line for the 3DS

Atariboy

Galaxy Force II and Power Drift on 3DS are the only official, legit home versions of those games which are arcade perfect.

The Japanese Sega Ages versions of both of those games released in 1998 on the Saturn had their framerates cut to 30fps.

As for 3D Thunder Blade, it's also the only arcade perfect port of the original (and Super Thunder Blade on MD / Genesis was sort of a sequel, not the same game).

These 3 games, along with After Burner II, OutRun and Super Hang-On, are all worth owning (Space Harrier also).

And don't forget Fantasy Zone II W, a System-16 remake of an 8-bit arcade & Master System game (originally made for arcades and released on PS2 in Japan)

now in 3D, with an amazing new gameplay mode.

Edited by Parallax Scroll
  • Like 4

I agree, the arcade ports and in particular, the Super Scaler titles, have been by far the highlights here of this line.

I actually think that Galaxy Force II is arcade perfect on the PS2 as well (It runs at 60 fps at least, unlike the Saturn port). Not coincidentally, M2 was also behind that release and it formed the starting basis for the 3DS port, which raised the bar even further.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Yep, I totally agree, the Super Scaler games were the highlight of the Sega 3D Classics series.

I did forget that Galaxy Force II on PS2 (released in 2008 iirc) was actually the first arcade perfect port of that game, which first released in 1988.

The 3DS version is based on the PS2 port. So the 3DS *and* the PS2 have the only perfect ports of it. So then, the 3DS versions of Power Drift and Thunder Blade are the first 1:1 arcade ports of those two.

Thunder Blade is interesting, because before the 3DS version, there was 1 very good (yet not arcade perfect) port. This version was released in 1990 for the Sharp X68000 computer.

Even though the scaling isn't as smooth as the arcade, and there were fewer sprites on screen at one time (X68K is powerful, but not X-Board arcade powerful) it certainly blew every other home version away at the time.

Here's a video of it on real hardware, played with a Sharp CZ-8NJ2 Cyber Stick Intelligent Controller.

• Like 1

Some potentially good news has been spotted. The Japanese Miiverse page is live for this latest collection, but when viewed in the west, it shows up as Sega 3D Classics Collection 2. That would be the logical name for a Western release since we never got Japan's volume 1.

And if that means something, perhaps even the lack of the Final Stage tag at the end is good news. We never did get the original release that featured Outrun...

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

I hope you're right about there being a 2nd volume. We got hosed on what came out on physical media here as far as those 3D Sega classics go. I never did pick up the vol1 because of how cut off it was and had instead grabbed a few of the downloads and they're quite fun, especially Galaxy Force 2 and also the way they handled Streets of Rage as well.

• 1 month later...

When M2 wasn't sure what game would win their poll, they started work on Virtua Racing and Virtua Fighter. VF fell behind quickly so didn't progress far, but VR made it to approximately 50% completion before it became obvious that Turbo Outrun would win. Here's some screenshots of that project.

vFG5K2s.jpg

jGQ0Sf0.jpg

Glad it worked out the way it did (Although we're still left waiting and hoping that it will be localized), but hopefully Sega allows M2 to resurrect this one on the Nintendo Switch.

• Like 1

Ugh! We lost that for yet another iteration of Outrun, meh. I'd buy Virtua Racing if that popped up.

Turbo Outrun was far more exciting of an addition, in my opinion.

For one, it's the immediate sequel to one of the icons of gaming, of Sega, and of late 1980's arcade gaming in general. Secondly, Turbo Outrun has never been justice to at home (There's also a lackluster Megadrive port). Even the visually attractive FM Towns Marty version is a disaster according to Austin here at AtariAge, playing terribly among other issues.

Virtua Racing, while lacking an arcade perfect conversion at home, has been done justice in my opinion and even been taken past its arcade routes several times with additional content. And the 3DS doesn't even have the screen resolution to match a higher resolution game like this one, which would've forced a resolution downgrade unlike a Sega Super Scaler release like Turbo Outrun that fits within the constraints of the 3DS.

I also want VR, but I think the Japanese that voted in their poll picked well. :)

Edited by Atariboy

Well I can see the argument there, but hey there's always the Switch.

I never liked Outrun much other than the original which is a blast. I hate F1 games usually but something years ago when I got the Genesis version of the game just grabbed me. A few years later I got a copy on the Saturn then too and while it was fun the added junk wasn't as well to me executed so I'd just run the original or go back to the Genesis. I've never really touched the 32X version other than using KEGA Fusion on the PC but it seemed more ok. I'd like to see it come back up as it could be a lot of fun. Truth is I liked the Sega 3DS games earlier on, but the last I picked up was Galaxy Force 2 because I go pissed when they waffled on releasing the physical release to the US. Then when they did we only got a random selection and then we got hosed out of the Vol 2 package and I just lost interest. The way I see it if Sega US is a pack of wimps, with the Switch being region free, if they had the balls to put this on Switch and those babies didn't release it in the states, I'd just import the stuff. I can still muddle my way through katakana and some hiragana still as I'm really out of practice.

Virtua Racing, while lacking an arcade perfect conversion at home, has been done justice in my opinion and even been taken past its arcade routes several times with additional content.

The Saturn version is pretty awesome, but those terrible load times always make me go back to the Genesis version with its low framerate.

And I doubt I will ever own a 32X.

I hope they still finish VR, regardless of how the votes went. I mean it's cool to have a decent home version of Turbo Outrun, but it probably took them less than a day to port it over.

Asaki, there's also a great PS2 conversion which was one of the highlights of the early days of the Sega Ages lineup on the PS2 before M2 took it over and turned things around. It's included in the western Sega Classics Collection release.

What about Sega 3D Classics Collection? $20 on Amazon and I saw them at Walmart for $20. Not sure yet if it's worth or not. Looks like 9 SMS and Genesis games.

It's worth it, if that's what you're asking. I paid $15 and would've easily paid $30, but happily I dragged my feet ordering it and got it at a discount. And it's actually 10 games. It features five arcade games, two Sega Genesis games, and three Sega Master System games (1 SMS game is hidden and must be unlocked).

This release is actually Sega 3D Classics Collection Volume 2 over in Japan. We never got volume 1 in the west which featured Outrun as its highlight (Although the arcade and Genesis games it contained, minus the two SMS extras, did appear on our eShop at least). And we're still left hoping that Sega 3D Classics Collection Volume 3: Final Stage, which featured Turbo Outrun and appeared in Japan last December, makes it out over here.

Of the 11 games on Final Stage, we're missing on our eShop the two new arcade games that it added to the Sega 3D Classics lineup (Turbo Outrun and Alien Syndrome), two newly added Sega Genesis games, and the two SG-1000 extras that were exclusive to Final Stage.

There's also an expanded version of Power Drift that's a standalone download in Japan, compared to the regular version we got on Sega 3D Classics Collection.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

That one was actually already done, but it's on the unreleased volume 1 that only Japan has. 3D Outrun was the other exclusive bonus on volume 1.

Be sure to unlock the original Sega Master System version of Fantasy Zone. Over in Japan, you needed save data from the original volume to be present on your 3DS to access it. But since we never got that here, it was modified and all you have to do is go to extras and tap the bottom left corner of the screen.

M2 even made an optional FM soundtrack for it based on the arcade original, so that it matched the standards of Fantasy Zone 2 on the SMS (Unlike the sequel that always had FM music, Fantasy Zone 1 predates the release of the FM sound module). One of many nice touches in these releases from M2. :)

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

That one was actually already done, but it's on the unreleased volume 1 that only Japan has. 3D Outrun was the other exclusive bonus on volume 1.

Be sure to unlock the original Sega Master System version of Fantasy Zone. Over in Japan, you needed save data from the original volume to be present on your 3DS to access it. But since we never got that here, it was modified and all you have to do is go to extras and tap the bottom left corner of the screen.

M2 even made an optional FM soundtrack for it based on the arcade original, so that it matched the standards of Fantasy Zone 2 on the SMS (Unlike the sequel that always had FM music, Fantasy Zone 1 predates the release of the FM sound module). One of many nice touches in these releases from M2. :)

M2 are the absolute best at repackaging old games. Their collections and ports are terrific across the board.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...