IGNORED

7800 arcade joystick interest check

UberArcade

I believe there are arcade grade sticks that can easily be switched between 4 and 8 directions. That would be a nice option if possible. Lots of nice 2600/7800 games that can benefit where as trying to play something like Ms. Pac-Man on an 8 way stick is usually an exercise in frustration.

I can offer an option to have microswitch parts in there if you want.

4-way, 8-way switch:

I have tried several of the joysticks you can change between 4 and 8 way. All the ones I tried are microswitch, and to be honest I still don't like how they feel with pac man. They are better, but they still don't feel right to me. The happ 4-way sticks used in Namco reunion cabinets are really good, but you can't switch it to 8-way. I use the happ stick in my multicade and just don't play the games that require 8-way. I realize I am one of those arcade purists so I may be pickier than most. Because of Mame new joysticks are coming out often so maybe something will come out that finally gets it right. But I can put whatever parts in there as long as they are not too tall. You just unscrew the 4 bolts and pull the crimp connectors off. Takes a couple of minutes.

Colecovision:

I don't have a working Colecovision right now, but this is wired like the 7800 proline with the two resistors and diode, so if those work on a Colecovision then this should.

Price:

Once I figure out what the overlay printing will cost me then I can give you a price on the joystick. It will be soon. I plan to have the overlay done this weekend.

Edited by UberArcade

I would eliminate the Atari and 30th anniversary logo. It just looks too busy to me. Less is more in this case IMO. Otherwise, I like it.

I like the logos - and the work done - but I'd reduce the Fuji logo size, that way the right hand portion of it isn't worn out by the players's right hand. The 30th Anniversary logo will also wear down due to coming in contact with the player's right hand as well; it should be moved elsewhere, I think.

I like the logos - and the work done - but I'd reduce the Fuji logo size, that way the right hand portion of it isn't worn out by the players's right hand. The 30th Anniversary logo will also wear down due to coming in contact with the player's right hand as well; it should be moved elsewhere, I think.

Is that what it is called, the Fuji logo? I didn't know that. I would have assumed that this insert would be the same quality as (for example) the overlays on the NES controllers. If they are printed out like stickers, with ink that will just rub off... I see no point in even having an overlay.

At any rate, I think the overlay image has way too much going on. If anything, keep ONLY the 30th ann. logo --- make it smaller --- and relocate it to a more inconspicuous location on the unit. Or make the 30th ann. logo the same color as the "Atari logo on the bottom, make it smaller, and have it directly across on the far right side.

The overlay will be printed like most arcade stuff these days. I can't remember the name of the material (my wife does all the print stuff) but there is a textured laminate on it. It will hold up. It isn't cheap though. I have reproduced some arcade overlays before and they all turned out great. This will be one solid overlay for the entire top.

Keep chiming in on the design. I felt it was a little busy, but I wanted to go ahead and throw it out there and see what everybody said.

• Like 1

I like the design a lot!

I would make the Fuji to at least 1/3 of the current size and move it to the top center of the layout. Make the 30th anniversary logo just a hair smaller and place it above the name plate, but also center under the Fuji. This would minimize the wear on the logos from use. Though as you said with it being a laminate, it likely will hold up just fine and outlive most of us!

The overlay will be printed like most arcade stuff these days. I can't remember the name of the material (my wife does all the print stuff) but there is a textured laminate on it. It will hold up. It isn't cheap though. I have reproduced some arcade overlays before and they all turned out great. This will be one solid overlay for the entire top.

Keep chiming in on the design. I felt it was a little busy, but I wanted to go ahead and throw it out there and see what everybody said.

You can count me in because i am most definatly going go purchase 1 from you.

Purhaps i may buy 2 of them.

Awsome design my friend.