IGNORED

PC engine play in the US

Sapicco

Hi everyone i am new to the forums. Recently got a PC engine. I did not buy any type of converter, and play with no issue on my US tv. Was wondering if this is ok or should I buy a converter? Also, want to get a duo, but not want any Issues.

Should I buy something for the ac adapter so I have no futur probleme.

Don't see why that would be any different. Japanese TVs are NTSC like the ones in the US, and the electricity is 100VAC while ours is 120VAC (close enough). The only issue you may have is if you are using RF. The frequencies for their channels that they would tune to are in the 90s (channels 95 and 95 I think) on US tvs. Any Japanese console should work in the US without issue.

With the pc engine though, since it uses an external power supply, you can always get a 120V supply for it if you are worried. I am using one from a slim PS2 on my Duo-R as it did not come with a power supply. The one that it originally came with would have been fine though. They used quite a bit of different plug tip sizes and output voltages on all the variants though so you'd have to make sure you get the right one.

How about the PC fx?

Yes you are fine between USA / Japan consoles and power supplies, I have many systems from Japan (Canada is the same) at least they are similar enough. You only need worry with European / PAL console as their video output and power requirements are not compatible.

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

Thanks CatPix! If that's the case, I will be in the hunt for a duo and maybe one day supergrafx!

Don't get a Duo. Unless it's capacitors have been changed, as well as it's laser. They're...poorly made. Pony up and get the Duo-R or Duo-RW (same system, different controller. Or do what I did and get an R system and buy the RW controller separately). You'll thank me later, I promise.

• Like 1

The power supply for the Genesis II is suitable for the Duo-R. That is what I am using with mine as it did not come with an original power supply.

I think the model number of the Sega power supply is MK-2102 or MK-2103. Both models numbers seem to be the same supply with center + and 10V .8a.

Can you explain more about the laser? I have my TurboDuo being recapped right now, but not the laser. It's a NOS one and it's barely been used, would the laser still need to be replaced? How hard is that to do?

Not hard. You can find replacement lasers on eBay rather easily, and cheaply. Supposedly the same type of laser (not the same build.. better built) was made MUCH later for other applications. So it isn't NEC's, it's by Hitachi, but it works inside it and is the same size/shape.

The lasers were just poorly built. You have to remember, that was early for CD technology, and these manufacturers were trying to build their CD based systems as cheap as possible because they knew gamers wouldn't blow 500 dollars plus for a system with CD tech in it. This lead to parts that simply don't last.

If you're getting the caps done, contact your modder and have him put in a new laser while it's opened up. Seriously, you WILL have a problem if you don't. Just a matter of time. Those parts just don't last like they should.

Here's a link for ya, bud:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1PCS-NEW-LASER-LENS-HOP-M3-FOR-HITACHI-CD-/360626077767?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53f6fd4047