IGNORED

Dreamcast VGA: what to buy?

Seethransom

If I am in the wrong place, I am sorry. I am looking for up to date info, on the DC. I did not see a direct forum. If I should take just read elsewhere, could you please let me know. I will be happy to direct my question there.

I have VGA on my plasma. I'd like to use the port for my Dreamcast, and enjoy the extra resolution.

I see many kits, but I have no idea if they up to 480p, like the old kits. What do SEGA fans use? I need affordability, as well as quality.

The DC is one of my favorite consoles, and I want to get the best out of her as I can.

Thank you.

Mark

Verify if your HD supports the lower resolution of 640x480 VGA mode. You could try hooking an older laptop up first, set the Windows resolution to 640x480. The Dreamcast VGA box is a better option over just the Dreamcast VGA cable. It gives an option of SVideo/Composite for the DC games that do not work in VGA.

• Like 1

Thank you for the link Rex Dart! I never realized before reading that article that I conceivably could fool my Plasma Sword into playing through VGA by booting it up in S-video then switching after the boot to VGA (have to give that a shot tonight!). It's one of the few no VGA games for DC, and happens to be a personal guilty pleasure.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone. Very useful info. I might be able to go the AVS, and check there. I do have a 19 inch 3:2 PC monitor to try too. Could I use something to convert it further, to HDMI? Thanks again!

Yes, which is what you will want to do. In this day and age, the Dreamcast still looks like ass even with the VGA box (it's just 640x480 after all). You will want an upscaler box to make the VGA box worthwhile. I use this one from Monoprice: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011404&p_id=6191&seq=1&format=2

• Like 1

Thank you Austin. I love Monoprice. I use their headphones. The box is cheap compared to some I have seen. On YouTube I saw a DC modded for component, and toslink. It even had an SD card. Cool to see, but excessive for me.

Right now it is connected through my receiver. It's output is HDMI. It looks great. If I am able to squeeze a little more quality, that would be cool.

If my logic is correct, a VGA box doubles the resolution, or at least a progressive scan. I expect some softer edges, and better color. Am I correct in this?

Going through my titles reminds me how much I love the DC. Coming off a N64, it is streets ahead.

Edited by Seethransom

If my logic is correct, a VGA box doubles the resolution, or at least a progressive scan. I expect some softer edges, and better color. Am I correct in this?

Doubled, compared to what? The DC generates 480p output, and the VGA box is how you get it out of the DC. Compared to composite, expect jaggier (sharper) edges.

• Like 1

Double compared to 320 x 240. Perhaps my receiver upscales It as well as it can get? It certainly looks better than a ps2.

These matters I am a little clueless to. That is why I came here. I certainly do not want to buy stuff, to find it makes no difference. Worse yet, it could accent the bad along with good.

The DC outputs 640X480 even with composite cables. The VGA box just enables a much stronger signal that is achieved through other technical reasons I am terrible at explaining (the end result basically being better colors, sharper picture, etc). It's still the same resolution though. Keep in mind not all Dreamcast games run at 640x480, it depends on the game, so the quality of the output (say, blurry versus a sharp image) is going to differ from game to game.

• Like 1

Austin that makes sense! There is science inside there. I think it is worth a shot. My early 8 bit stuff is on another TV. I don't feel the need to mod them. The Dreamcast is worthy of a few bucks investment. Many of the ported games lost their luster. Crazy Taxi needs The Offspring. THPS is best on this console. Rez was given justice on the 360, props to them.

Thank you everyone.

Where I was stuck was that I thought CRT TV's were 320x240i. I thought that is what comes out the composite of whatever. Then S-Vid ( have nothing that accepts this) allows for progressive on a compatible TV. That is where I went wrong. I guess component is for pro scan TV.

This stuff can be confusing to me. It should not be, as I am such a geek I watched The switch to digital TV as it happened.

Edited by Seethransom