IGNORED

Scrolling MCS, PMU & Instrumentarium tune

analmux

MCS = 'Multiple Coloured Screen'

PMU = 'Player Missile Underlay'

DLI = 'Display List Interrupt'

10 Years ago I wrote an interactive demo. It works on a stock XL/XE ATARI. The original scrolling graphics comes from the NES game "Super Mario Bros. 3", level 1-1. I used:

- Scrolling MCS.

- Scrolling PMU, using no PMBASE but direct GRAFP0 - GRAFP3.

- Quad width PMU sprites to add some extra colours. The PMUs can increase the number of graphics colours up to 6.

- A series of DLIs.

- Some priority experiments.

You can toggle the HELP key to read a small explanation of 3 key commands. Use the joystick to scroll in 8 directions.

See an example video here.

YouTube - Analogue Multiplexer - Instrumentarium + Scrolling 'PMU' Demo Video

The 'Instrumentarium' tune only plays '100 Hz PoKey register updates'. No heavy CPU time needed: no software synths and no samples!

AtariAge Forums - Atari Systems - Atari 8-Bit Computers - Instrumentarium: Final release, links & summary

201408232046.zip

• Like 6

How much money do we need to collect at Kickstarter for you, so you`re gonna finish your SMB 3 demo and make a fully working game of it ?!? The demo is looking and sounding great, still I wish it would be a playable SMB game and NOT only a demo. Too sad, this will never happen...

• Like 2

- Scrolling PMU, using no PMBASE but direct GRAFP0 - GRAFP3.

Seen it before, didn't know you used direct grafp access...

Is it working with Wsync and setting registers every scanline ?

In that case, is there any free cpu time left in those lines ?

Still looking like one of best scrolling demos on A8 ! :)

Is it working with Wsync and setting registers every scanline ?

In that case, is there any free cpu time left in those lines ?

Thanks! Well, I'm looking at source code I made 10 years ago. Now I realize what I did. Every 16 scanlines it runs a GTIA-update to change HPOSP0-3, GRAFP0-3, COLP0-3, thus 12 registers in total, using 2 extra wsyncs.

I forgot it all, but it seems I used a general 'tool'. It's not CPU time optimized by far. But maybe it's time to put the source here one day. The fonts, the level area, the colour set and the PMU field and the PMU colour settings can be changed as desired. It's compatible with an arbitrary RMT tune, under 50 or 100 Hz playing.

About the not-optimized settings, thus a gereral treatment, it wastes a lot of wsyncs. See picture below. You can also download the xex.

Yellow: Top DLI

Blue: Midscreen DLI

Red: Bottom DLI

Purple: Executes half of the RMT-player subroutines

post-3860-0-01645400-1408920179_thumb.png

cputasks.xex

Edited by analmux
  • Like 2

Every 16 scanlines it runs a GTIA-update to change HPOSP0-3, GRAFP0-3, COLP0-3, thus 12 registers in total, using 2 extra wsyncs.

Aha... You set GRAFP in one line and it is repeated till next change... Nice!

Saves lot of cycles and some bytes. I'm adding it to my bag-of-tricks list ;)

• 3 weeks later...

... I forgot it all, but it seems I used a general 'tool'. It's not CPU time optimized by far. But maybe it's time to put the source here one day. The fonts, the level area, the colour set and the PMU field and the PMU colour settings can be changed as desired. It's compatible with an arbitrary RMT tune, under 50 or 100 Hz playing. ...

Look here:

AtariAge Forums - Atari Systems - Atari 8-Bit Computers - Atari 5200 / 8-bit Programming - Source Code Released! Scrolling MCS, PMU & RMT

• Like 2