IGNORED

New pacman for atari 2600

DINTAR816

This is amazingly great. I'm loving it!

@DINTAR816: I'd love to put your sound driver/data in my TIA version of Pac-Man Collection, if it's ok. I recently updated the Monster sprite data, and I'd like to make a *final* version with good sounds.

I know you've got a lot going on, so if not of course that's ok... But It would be great if you could :D

I wonder how Ms. Pac-Man would look/play with your treatement :ponder: :D

Bob

But I already bought Pacman Collection. Twice if you count the multicart... :P

Also how's the 320 carts coming? I'd love to get those eventually. ;)

Edited by stardust4ever

Baby Pac is on my list after I finish Defender and an original game that I've been thinking of... ;) (7800)

... thread derailment over :(

oh Wow Baby Pacman finally! With so many definitive versions, it'll be the year of the Pac! But then again every year is the year of the Pac! Happy Birthday my little yellow round friend!
  • Like 2

Baby Pac is on my list after I finish Defender and an original game that I've been thinking of... ;) (7800)

I'd love a home version of Baby Pac Man. I worked on a Visual Pinball/PinMAME version way back in the day, but my dev machine wasn't fast enough to run it properly. Not sure if VP will run correctly on Win 8.

Has anybody fully analyzed the ghost AI in that one yet? It's extremely different from the other games, and much harder, e.g. ghosts will do lots of random 180° turns.

• Like 1

Has the PinMAME version been completed?

I think it was pretty much complete, but that was a good 13 years ago. I did the table design, and another guy wired up the I/O to PinMAME. It was pretty cool, just didn't run so hot on the old machine I was using to build it.

It's pretty great. One quirk is that it has to be run as administrator on Windows 7 and up. The monsters are ruthless in this one, but it isn't as bad after awhile. Plays well on a 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo and u,with 4GB of RAM.

The main reason I didn't play this at the arcade was that the Monsters were only single color and sound was mono tone. I was disappointed to see such poor hardware in an arcade machine. The monster logic was brutal, so I never took the time to learn how to beat it. It'sactually kind of fun.

Love to have an arcade machine, but hear they break easily.

• Like 1

Thread derailment continues, omg we're going into the wilderness....!! :P hehe

I have played baby pac-man a TON on pinmame. I love that game so much. The pac-man portion is indeed brutal, and worse you have to earn your energizers only in the pinball portion.

As said in a previous post, you MUST play with administrator rights, because of the scripting files used.

Baby pac-man, even with the hardware issues mentioned, is incredible fun, definitely a 10/10!

*pulls the lever, so this train can get back on course* :P

Edited by KAZ

I know this may be a bit much, but are you planning on incorporating the pinball portion too? Because that would be epic. Vertical scrolling and basic physics would be doable. I'm a big fan of 8-bit pinball sims.

Biggest complaint I've heard about Baby Pac was that it was a half effort arcade game and a half effort pinball game. Two half asses do not make a whole donkey in this instance. :P

• Like 1

Thank you, but guys, can we take the Baby Pac talk to this thread please? http://atariage.com/forums/topic/217515-wouldnt-it-be-cool-to-have-a-baby-pac-man-adaptation/?do=findComment&comment=2847337

(BTW, I do plan on having the pinball portion - on screen - it isn't Baby Pac-Man without it)

This thread is for the INCREDIBLE port that DINTAR816 is making ;)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just played this 8K version of Pac-Man and it is so awesome! I didn't read every post in this thread but their seems to be some debate about comparing this version with the original etc. I also read that it's much easier to write the code now versus back in the day for various reasons that have been stated in this thread. In my opinion all that doesn't mean squat! The original release was total crap and I just don't see how any rational person could give the brass at Atari a pass. 30+ years ago if Activision had purchased the rights to make Pac-Man for the 2600 do you really think it would have sucked as bad as it did? No way!!! Even if this version were half as good it would be better than that piece of shit Atari put out back in the early 80's. Sure it's 8K vs the originals 4K but that is the cheap ass folks at Atari's fault! I would be proud to own a physical copy of this game along with a box and manual. A very well done copy of an all time classic! Thank you for all of your hard work:)

• Like 2

30+ years ago if Activision had purchased the rights to make Pac-Man for the 2600 do you really think it would have sucked as bad as it did?

Quite possibly. Activision's "no flicker" policy would have required some serious gimping of the ghost A.I.

I meant to post this sometime ago, but the latest 8K version I played never had VBLANK enabled at all. On some TV's this might not allow them to sync. I tested it on mine and it worked fine, but I would add it back in for maximum compatibility.

Before I had mentioned that the VBLANK signal was being enabled at different times in the visible portion of the scanline. I was hoping you would always enable/disable it in the portion of the scanline that is not visible, because on some TV's you can still see the blanking portion as a darker area then the black background. I only requested this because it is a small nuance for me, and this game is shining on so many levels!! :)

Edited by Omegamatrix
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Any chance this gets released to a cart format? I was thinking of buying Pac Man 4k, but after seing this I may have a change of mind...

I'd guess that this will be a cartridge.

Even though now it is the best we have yet, it is not finished.

There are more behaviors to be added and maybe music!

I'd guess that this will be a cartridge.

Even though now it is the best we have yet, it is not finished.

There are more behaviors to be added and maybe music!

Keep it coming!

Here's the current pecking order for 2600...

New Pacman 8k >>> Pacman 4k >>> Pacman Arcade >>> dog turd >>> Atari Pacman

:P

• Like 2

Keep it coming!

Here's the current pecking order for 2600...

New Pacman 8k >>> Pacman 4k >>> Pacman Arcade >>> dog turd >>> Atari Pacman

:P

Hack 'Em and Pac-Man Arcade Enhanced are missing and are definitely much better than "dog turd". Better than Pac-Man Arcade, though the latter is an improved hack.

Hack 'Em and Pac-Man Arcade Enhanced are missing and are definitely much better than "dog turd". Better than Pac-Man Arcade, though the latter is an improved hack.

I'm only going by the ones I've played. I need to try Hack 'em, and possibly get a cart made it I like it. Will Albert do a custom of Hack 'em, or do I need to talk to Hozer? :ponder:

Pacman Arcade "enhanced" I have not tried yet. Is it an improved version of the PM Arcade cart in the AA store? Also I'm aware Pacman Arcade (Ms Pac hack) is very far from being a "dog turd." I just used dog turd to share my opin of the original.

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1