IGNORED

New pacman for atari 2600

DINTAR816

Somehow I doubt it's chroma bleed. There are definitely white dots on the strawberry as far as I can tell. See also this macro shot of my mom's CRT screen:

attachicon.gifNew_Pacman_8k_Strawberry_Multicolor.jpg

The in game sprite has black dots on it but the dots are definitely white on the bottom of the screen. Bleed or not, those fruit sprites sure do look delicious! :D

Bump. I added a macro shot of the LCD Sanyo. Side by side comparison.

Same 4-Switch Atari (with 820ohm color fix). Same RF NTSC channel 2.

post-33189-0-79384400-1448091077_thumb.jpg

Mind blown... :o

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, i tried this v5 of Pacman-8k and it plays superb. Very smooth playing, good looking graphics and soundeffects also well done. Good work DINTAR816. You wrote some months ago, that you plan to make also PAL and PAL60 versions of the game. Is one of them ready? I wanted to play this game on my real console (PAL) with correct colors.

And another question i have, maybe somebody here knows it. There is also "Pacman Arcade" mentioned here in the thread. This hack can also be found in the AtariAge-Shop, but only in NTSC like it seems. Is there no PAL or PAL60 version available?

Edited by AW127

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to randomly join this conversation again.

I wonder what happens on level 256 in this game :) Is that a 'feature' that can be added for fun to this game? :) Some kind of glitched out stage.

And maybe an option to jump to that level (I dunno if I could sit and play for 3 hours). :P

This game is by far my all-time favorite of the entire 2600 library (past and present).

-KAZ

And a random tangent thought here:

Namco has made a new restaurant in Chicago called: "Level 257", it has a real 80's arcade inside. They hope to have this restaurant in other cities also (mall of america was mentioned).

Edited by KAZ
  • Like 1

I just want to randomly join this conversation again.

I wonder what happens on level 256 in this game :) Is that a 'feature' that can be added for fun to this game? :) Some kind of glitched out stage.

And maybe an option to jump to that level (I dunno if I could sit and play for 3 hours). :P

This game is by far my all-time favorite of the entire 2600 library (past and present).

-KAZ

And a random tangent thought here:

Namco has made a new restaurant in Chicago called: "Level 257", it has a real 80's arcade inside. They hope to have this restaurant in other cities also (mall of america was mentioned).

Probably just rolls over. I dunno; I'm not hardcore enough to reach the first key, much less play through all 256 stages. Two cents, if a homebrew ROM does have some sort of kill screen, I would just leave it in the code for bragging rights, but I wouldn't go out of the way to recreate the exact glitch from the Arcade Game.

I like how it uses sprite replication to do 3 keys though... (I started with the key and beat the stage twice) Even though the key stages are much faster, I actually seem to survive longer than on the apple. Weird. :P

Different programmer.

If it still bothers you though, you could always sell your PM4K and buy this when it makes cart release.

Keep your old one and upgrade when the new one comes out. I got an entire collection of Pacman variants.

The originals: Atari Shit-Pac, Atari Ms Pac, Atari Jr Pac...

When I first got my Atari, it was Pacman Arcade, a hack to convert Ms Pacman into Pacman. Then Pacman 4k came out. Now this.

Then I discovered new Pacman 8k, in addition to Hack 'em and Ms Hack 'em on my Harmony.

I also got a 7800, and Atari 7800 Ms Pacman, PMP MultiCart, Pacman Collection, Jr Pacman, Super Pac, and what the hell, Craxy Otto. Can't wait for Concerto so I can play Pokey Pacman 320 and Pokey Ms Pacman 320.

Not to mention I've played the old Tengen Pacman, Tengen Ms Pacman, and Namco Ms Pacman on NES for years...

And multiple Namco Museum Compilations, Pacman, Ms Pacman GB, GBC, and the collections on GBA. And Ms Pacman on the Lynx. And oddball platformer Pacland on Famicom, Lynx, and TurboGrafx...

Hell I even got Atari 5200 Pacman for like $2.95 at Game-X-Change, and I ain't even got a 5200... yet! :P

Oh, and a Pacman tattoo on my back. :cool:

http://stardust4ever.deviantart.com/art/Fresh-Pacman-Ink-whakka-whakka-210149027

• Like 4

Keep your old one and upgrade when the new one comes out. I got an entire collection of Pacman variants.

The originals: Atari Shit-Pac, Atari Ms Pac, Atari Jr Pac...

When I first got my Atari, it was Pacman Arcade, a hack to convert Ms Pacman into Pacman. Then Pacman 4k came out. Now this.

Then I discovered new Pacman 8k, in addition to Hack 'em and Ms Hack 'em on my Harmony.

I also got a 7800, and Atari 7800 Ms Pacman, PMP MultiCart, Pacman Collection, Jr Pacman, Super Pac, and what the hell, Craxy Otto. Can't wait for Concerto so I can play Pokey Pacman 320 and Pokey Ms Pacman 320.

Not to mention I've played the old Tengen Pacman, Tengen Ms Pacman, and Namco Ms Pacman on NES for years...

And multiple Namco Museum Compilations, Pacman, Ms Pacman GB, GBC, and the collections on GBA. And Ms Pacman on the Lynx. And oddball platformer Pacland on Famicom, Lynx, and TurboGrafx...

Hell I even got Atari 5200 Pacman for like $2.95 at Game-X-Change, and I ain't even got a 5200... yet! :P

Oh, and a Pacman tattoo on my back. :cool:

http://stardust4ever.deviantart.com/art/Fresh-Pacman-Ink-whakka-whakka-210149027

Nice Tattoo.

• Like 1

-KAZ

It is nearly there for myself also.

As far as my top arcade game to VCS: Starpath Frogger, this Pac-Man 8K, and Lady Bug

As far as overall favorites: this Pac-Man 8K, and Starpath Frogger

I like how it uses sprite replication to do 3 keys though... (I started with the key and beat the stage twice) Even though the key stages are much faster, I actually seem to survive longer than on the apple. Weird. :P

I suggested that. :D

It would have been sad not to see such an easy programming thing overlooked (to double, triple the sprite).

I'll have to try starting at the key.

I usually play from the beginning or the apple.

I suggested that. :D

It would have been sad not to see such an easy programming thing overlooked (to double, triple the sprite).

I'll have to try starting at the key.

I usually play from the beginning or the apple.

Yeah, that and the key being worth 5000 points, I rack up higher score starting at the key than anywhere else. I think my record is over 35,000. Game Over on third key stage but I got lucky eating nearly every key that appeared. Playing normally, I am lucky to make it to the second intermission (after the first Apple)

• 4 weeks later...

An audio suggestion:

In the arcade, when you eat the middle fruit, and then quickly eat a ghost, the sound effect of the fruit will be heard a second time afterwards.

It is like an echoing effect. Perhaps you could put this very very subtle audio effect into the game. :)

This would increase this perfect game's rating to, um, more than perfect!! :P

It is now my most frequently played atari 2600 game from the entire library! It is so amazing!

This makes me wonder if Super Pacman is possible on the 2600.

e1will, who wrote Duck Attack, created a non-playable demo back in 2009. While it looked great in Stella, provided you turned on phosphor mode*, it was way too flickery on a real Atari.

* hit COMMAND-P on Mac, ALT-P on Linux & Windows