IGNORED

RGB - a game for the ABBUC Software Contest 2014

pseudografx

Finally come around to play it.

I hope people are judging the graphic when they play it with a "real" TV set.

To have a quick lok I used "atari800" and dwas like "meh, looked cooler in the pics".

The next day I used real hardware with CRT monitor and it looked so much better.

The same for most games, but here it is more noticeable. Keep in mind I did only quick checks.

What I haven't understood (or find strange) is the "charging of the weapon" it makes it (for me) almost impossible to destroy robots without getting hit. But I will give it another try surely the next days.

But then again I am not much of a gamer and more inclined to use my A8-time for my own game development :)

Finally come around to play it.

I hope people are judging the graphic when they play it with a "real" TV set.

To have a quick lok I used "atari800" and dwas like "meh, looked cooler in the pics".

The next day I used real hardware with CRT monitor and it looked so much better.

The same for most games, but here it is more noticeable. Keep in mind I did only quick checks.

What I haven't understood (or find strange) is the "charging of the weapon" it makes it (for me) almost impossible to destroy robots without getting hit. But I will give it another try surely the next days.

But then again I am not much of a gamer and more inclined to use my A8-time for my own game development :)

CRT is great indeed. The fun is not getting hit. I let the robots move away from me (where that is possible) so when they fire their shot has to move a while. As soon I have jumped I start charging my gun, and boom... the robot is gone.

And being shot is not a real problem since there are a lot of "E" pills to eat to increase own energy again.

Strange that there a no posts anymore in this topic. I am a huge fan of this excellent new a8 game.

I only have on feature request.

Could you add some kind of 'passwords' to the completed levels? Now I have to start to level 0 every time I restart the game.

Besides that, I love this game.

Thanks for the kind words.

We rejected level passwords since we wanted to add some kind of oldschool feel to the game (that is also why there is difficulty option since it is usually omitted in modern homebrews); however, when you die in the game, you can choose whatevel level you have already visited, until you turn off your computer. There is also a cheat to skip levels during the game, but that is yet to be revealed ;-)

• Like 2

We implemented the charging delay because the game would way too easy if it wasn't there. It is still possible to finish the game on easy difficulty quite comfortably. On the other hand, on hard difficulty even MaPa didn't manage to finish one of the levels so far. So anyone can try and beat him :-D

• Like 3

Just grabbed it from Fandal's site a while ago and started playing...

here we go again, Marbled and Ridiculous Reality all over - say goodbye to doing much productive for the next week. Up to Level 3, had to watch the video to work out the manual colour change thing.

I get the feeling this might take some time to complete.

• Like 2

Small tip to RGB:

- colour re-calibrator = the blinking thingy in a level (in many levels there is more than one; sometimes there is a limitation on how often one can use them to change colour)

- change colour: stand directly under/below the colour re-calibrator and move the joystick down (south, towards you), now the colour should stop blinking; move the joystick down again to change colour into R, G or B; press fire-button to choose/accept the colour;

Alas, it was not mentioned in the original manual that you have to stand directly under/below the colour re-calibrator to use it (as well as several extras and what they do, not mentioned in the manual), which is a real important information. Several Abbuc members did have problems using the colour-re-calibrator and the extras and thus had problems playing the game or finishing one level. We had to explain it to them and we also explained it when we demonstrated RGB for the public on the big screen. This is for sure *one* reason why RGB did not get as many points as some other program. We also found out that the extra for additional time works strange, e.g. if we collected the extra the first time, we got 30 seconds extra time, when we collected it the second time we did NOT get any extra time, when we collected it a third time, we suddenly got 30 seconds extra time again (and the timer was always more than 30 seconds under the starting time) and since there are many big levels where time is really short, the use of extra time is required to finish the level.

I do not know why some Atarians do not see / do not get a red colour, I never had that problem. There is a) the colour re-calibrator which can change our robot colour into red and b) an extra that one can get when a robot has been killed and which looks like a red square that also changes our robot colour into red (there are also extras in form of blue squares and green squares that change the colour of our robot into blue or green when collected)...

Other than that, RGB is a very good game.

I think the limitation of the color changer is just because changing color costs you energy. As soon as your energy is low you can't change color (or you will lose the game).

So that's why you could best find a "i" first, then you blink and you can't be hurt or lose energy.

• Like 2

As extra:

The coolness of this game is that there is a real puzzle-element in this game. Changing color costs usually energy, so you have to use the colored squares in stead of that color-change-thing. If you know (after trying a level a few times) that you will find a certain color square later in the maze, the order you shoot enemy-robots is important to follow.

The P is for points (I guess)

the I is for invincible (i guess) so you can't lose energy

The E is for Energy

The T is for Time

It's important you remember where everything is, so when you restart the game you'll have benefit of that.

I don't have any problem at all with this game. I'm on a stock PAL Atari 800XL at the moment, game loaded from the original ABBUC Sondermagazin #48 disk.

I love the controls, I love everything about this game. To be honest, I like all the MPG production games so far.

• Like 2

I think the limitation of the color changer is just because changing color costs you energy. As soon as your energy is low you can't change color (or you will lose the game).

So that's why you could best find a "i" first, then you blink and you can't be hurt or lose energy.

Hmmm,

when I could not change the colour at calibrator a) anymore, I went to calibrator b) and changed the colour there. This worked allthough I did not collect any extra energy, in fact I lost energy by moving to calibrator b), but calibrator b) still changed my colour...

I can see RED when is RED like on title screen ;)

On game screen RED is only on game status bar in a middle.

On my 800XL/100hz CRT (probably with a scart cable) it's red, but on my 130XE normal CRT/cable it's similarly brown to firestorm's pic - I have a runnning joke with my nephews about brown being "Atari Red" :-D

p.s. I read on atarionline.pl about skipping levels using Option-Control-L ;)

• Like 1

Great game, BIG THANKS! I'm stack on level 3 ;)

Works on NTSC and with HUE/PHASE/COLOR BALANCE control on your TV you can get any colors you like ;)

Is that past tense ;) as long as they are brown :D

really nice game - combining the platform aspect and the strategy aspect :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

What was the the inspiration behind the game, was it an original idea?