IGNORED

Odyssey 2 differences

Zap!

Long story shot, a few years ago I was having tough times and sold about a dozen systems and games. Not that things are better, I'm looking to re-buy everything back. Some will be cheap (Odyssey 2), some will be expensive (boxed Crazy Climber), and some will be very hard to find (Colorvision in box).

Well, Saturday my boxed Odyssey 2 came in the mail ($40-something). I haven't been up on the system in a while, so I had forgotten that some have detachable controllers. The original one that I sold had wired-in controllers and they were black. This one had white ones and they detach. I have mixed feelings about this, because I want to buy exactly what I had before, not a variation. Unless of course, I can be convinced this one is the better one to have.

So, here's three questions:

1) Which came first?

2) Which is more desirable, from a collectors point of view?

3) Is one worth more than the other?

post-12488-0-43774500-1409593296_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zap!
  • Like 1

Indeed the model with detachable controllers came first. As for a collectors point of view, i don't care. I've modded a euro version so it has no cables attached at all, and has a atari compatible controller port. So for me it isn't worth more then a other model.

Thanks for all the replies, guys! I feel much better now knowing that I have the original and more desirable unit. I was pleasantly surprised they go for only $40-something in box in good condition. Can't wait to play once my monitor arrives!

Why did they decide to wire the controllers in? I have an Odyssey 2 where the controllers are built in to the unit.

I remember reading somewhere (I wish I could find a link to it) that it was not just a cost thing, but apparently Magnavox had less issues with repairing joysticks if the controllers were attached. I know that sound counterintuitive, but Magnavox did have less issues with controller wire breaking once they were attached. I've owned 12 OD2 over the years. Two of which had the detachable controllers. Of the ten I had with attached controllers, non of those units had issues with the controllers due to the wires being attached. On the two units that had the detachable controllers, one the the controllers had a bad cable. I know this is antidotal proof, but based on my experience I would have to say attaching the controllers was the right move.

If I had to guess, people took better care of the OD2 units that had attached controllers because they worried about breaking something that wasn't easily replaceable. That's just my two cents.

$40 complete? A store around here wants $200 for a boxed O2... and $100 for a boxed The Voice. :lol:

Shipping was like $15-$20, plus it was only missing the switch box, which I had to order for $25. So now that $40 is doubled to like $80, haha. On the plus side though, it game with six boxed and complete games:

Speedway! Spin-Out! Crypto-Logic!

K.C. Munchkin!

Computer Intro!

Bowling! Basketball!

Las Vegas Blackjack!

Pocket Billiards!

Computer Intro!

<< HERE >> Is a site you might be interested in.

Congratulations on the Computer Intro cartridge.

Hopefully someone else here can help out, but I seem to remember a NEW game that came for the O2. I also remember some kind of MultiCart that a guy could get too.

I'm supposed to getting my hands on one of these units myself, but my schedule never seems to line up with the guy I'm going to get it from.

I remember reading somewhere (I wish I could find a link to it) that it was not just a cost thing, but apparently Magnavox had less issues with repairing joysticks if the controllers were attached. I know that sound counterintuitive, but Magnavox did have less issues with controller wire breaking once they were attached. I've owned 12 OD2 over the years. Two of which had the detachable controllers. Of the ten I had with attached controllers, non of those units had issues with the controllers due to the wires being attached. On the two units that had the detachable controllers, one the the controllers had a bad cable. I know this is antidotal proof, but based on my experience I would have to say attaching the controllers was the right move.

If I had to guess, people took better care of the OD2 units that had attached controllers because they worried about breaking something that wasn't easily replaceable. That's just my two cents.

I would assume it's more because the controllers cables are short, and thin, making easy to pull on the plug. I have a Videopac Jet 25 of which one controller have a connection issue. The problem lies in the plug, and nowhere else. Indeed, removing the plug remove plug issues :grin:

Based on personnal experience, flat plugs have more issues than DIN plugs, which make sense. It's probably why Philips went to DIN plugs on the Videopac + series.

Multicarts can be ordered at http://videopac.nl/forum/index.php?topic=1987.0 It's a Menu driven cartridge and will work on the odyssey 2 and can also work with the voice.

Lots of games come out for the odyssey2.

Here is a release list of games that will be released this year:

Summer 2014 - Packrat/Chris Read - Traffic
Was on demo at Midwest Gaming Classic on 12/13 April 2014.

Late Summer 2014 - Packrat/Rafael Cardoso - Shooting Gallery/Minefield
Was on demo at Midwest Gaming Classic on 12/13 April 2014.

2nd Half 2014 - VideopacBelguim - Western+ (for Jopac)
Website

2nd Half 2014 - Packrat/Rafael Cardoso - TBA

2nd Half 2014 - VideopacBelguim&Packrat/John Dondzila - Amok - Videopac Plus and Odyssey2 style
Limited release of 25 copies which will work on Videopac and Odyssey2 by VideopacBelguim in Videopac+ Style
Unlimited release which will work on Videopac and Odyssey2 by Packrat in Odyssey2 Style (delayed)
Website

September 2014 - Classic Console Center - Videopac 71 - (release at Eurocon 2014)

October 2014 - VideopacBelguim - Amityville+
Website

Late 2014 - Packrat/Chris Read - Nice Ice

Late 2014 (TBA) - Packrat/John Donzilla - 233 in 1 cart

To Be Confirmed - Revival Studios/Martijn Wenting - Exile!

2015 releases

2015 - Packrat/Chris Read - 50-foot-tall Stalk of celery (working title)

2015 - Packrat/Rafael Cardoso - Sports game (TBA)

All info from www.videopac.nl/forum

Edited by Seob
  • Like 1

Congratulations on the Computer Intro cartridge.

Thank you! I didn't get to try it yet, but was curious as to why you singled out that particular game when I mentioned 6 games. What that particularly interesting, or maybe hard to find? :)

That's an original (well, earlier model anyways) Supposedly Magnavox did research and found that the detachable controllers were broken more easily than the hard wired ones.

I personally blame the crap cords they used in the controllers, they just seemed flimsy and were not friendly to being handled, especially to your kids who would likely just grab the cord and yank to disconnect them.

Never had a problem with the controllers themselves, (though I like the newer ones better) just that shitty cable.

My Odyssey 2 had detachable controllers...but they are black not silver. I think this may be the rarest version.

My console came with two silver detachable controllers, but one was broken. I bought a set of black detachable controllers on eBay for a replacement. My theory was that they were replacement controllers for the detachable console that were manufactured after Magnavox started using the black permanently attached joysticks. I have no proof of this whatsoever though. It could be that a limited number of consoles actually came with the black detachable controllers.