IGNORED

Jaguar Primal Rage vs. 32x Primal Rage

Rick Dangerous

I think High Voltage Softwre should of done the Jaguar version of Primal Rage. I think we would have seen a pretty bad ass version of PR for our Jaggy.

Note to CJ: Almost used 'of' instead of have. that was a close one. ^^^

Who actually did the Jaguar port? It couldn't have been Tengen themselves, right?

If you're a HUGE Primal Rage purist then you're going to go with MAME or the Saturn version. For me Primal Rage on the Jaguar combines my two loves. The Jaguar AND DINOSAURS!. Whoo hoo!

I'm telling you...avoid the MAME version like the plague. I'm a Primal Rage purist.

P8040226_zps1a39e586.jpg

• Like 5

Pretty sure Probe did it.

Must be okay then. I'm a huge "Extreme G" fan :)

I'm telling you...avoid the MAME version like the plague. I'm a Primal Rage purist.

P8040226_zps1a39e586.jpg

So the Jaguar CD is not MAME then?

This guy seemed to like the Jag CD Version:

http://videogamecritic.com/jaguarmr.htm#Primal_Rage_(CD)

Interesting no one has mentioned the limitations of the three button controller for the 3DO version vs the Jag CD

Interesting no one has mentioned the limitations of the three button controller for the 3DO version vs the Jag CD

Third-party 3DO controllers with four face buttons (like a SNES controller) are cheap. That's the ideal way to play the 3DO one. Still, the stock controllers also have shoulder keys.

Must be okay then. I'm a huge "Extreme G" fan :)

So the Jaguar CD is not MAME then?

This guy seemed to like the Jag CD Version:

http://videogamecritic.com/jaguarmr.htm#Primal_Rage_(CD)

MAME is an arcade emulator. The Jaguar is waaaaay to slow to emulate antyhing like PR. In emulation, a system tries to "pretend" it is the original hardware, in order to have the original code run on it. It fakes the chips at all virtually. This always requires a hardware highly superior to the one being emulated. For comparison: The PlayStation 1, eventhough it is superior to the Jag only manages emulation of the NES well enough to play.

So emulating the arcade PR was never an option on the Jaguar. The game is a port or conversion. The usual way current games are brought to other systems. The devs try to recreate the game for the different hardware instead of tryng to have the hardware run the original.

Depending on a system's power, and the effort taken a port can come pretty close. Which the Jaguar one obviously does not. Likely the Jaguar couod have done better (as could the 32X), but it is the way it is now.

• Like 2

So emulating the arcade PR was never an option on the Jaguar. The game is a port or conversion. The usual way current games are brought to other systems. The devs try to recreate the game for the different hardware instead of tryng to have the hardware run the original.

Primal Rage on the 3DO supports both the three button and six button controllers. As was mentioned, the three button controller mode used the triggers as well.

P8040226_zps1a39e586.jpg

Are you really good at the Jaguar version? Are you able to post videos? I would like to see some good combos pulled off on the Jaguar version. I don't think there is one on the net focusing on the Jaguar versions combos.

I knew the Jaguar version was in trouble when I read an interview in GamePro with TWI where they were converting PR to the different platforms. The producer or whoever they were interviewing was scoffing at the Jaguar. To paraphrase what I remember "if Sega 'Did The Math' the way Atari did they would have an 128 bit system since they have 4 processors in the Saturn -scoff scoff guffaw'.

I was like oh crap this is gonna suck. And this is right after the Sam Tramiel Interview in NeXt Generation where he said Atari and TWI had a great relationship.

Because of that interview I never bothered buying the Jaguar version until a few years ago.

• Like 1

I knew the Jaguar version was in trouble when I read an interview in GamePro with TWI where they were converting PR to the different platforms. The producer or whoever they were interviewing was scoffing at the Jaguar. To paraphrase what I remember "if Sega 'Did The Math' the way Atari did they would have an 128 bit system since they have 4 processors in the Saturn -scoff scoff guffaw'.

I was like oh crap this is gonna suck. And this is right after the Sam Tramiel Interview in NeXt Generation where he said Atari and TWI had a great relationship.

Because of that interview I never bothered buying the Jaguar version until a few years ago.

That wasn't a uniform opinion of Time Warner Interactive [Atari Games/Tengen]. Scott Gamul (?) was very pro-Jaguar. He was really positive about Power Drive Rally and was looking forward to Primal Rage while it was in development. T'was a blast hanging out with him at Atari Corp's media day event back in 95.

I like Primal Rage for Jaguar and wouldn't consider the collection complete without it. I personally prefer it to the 3DO and 32X versions. The Saturn version is the best contemporary port.

Speaking of TWI, I had always hoped for ports of Area 51 and Maximum Force for the Jag. I wonder how difficult it would be to port those over since they were COJAG games. Any ideas?

That wasn't a uniform opinion of Time Warner Interactive [Atari Games/Tengen]. Scott Gamul (?) was very pro-Jaguar. He was really positive about Power Drive Rally and was looking forward to Primal Rage while it was in development. T'was a blast hanging out with him at Atari Corp's media day event back in 95.

Well it may not have been a uniform opinion but it was an opinion of one of the heads of the group that at that time was porting PR to the Jaguar.

It amazes me now looking back that these guys actually have these technical expertise blunders published for all to see. What was even distirubing most people didn't know better than to believe it at the time. And this guy made that remark after Tramiel explained in the NeXt interview why they labelled the Jaguar as 64bit. And it wasn't adding two 32 bit processors together.

In the Jaguar version, with the Armadon character you can perform the "uppercut" special move which attacks and throws your opponent high up in the air, and before he falls down you can perform the "bed of nails" special move so that he falls right into your spikes.

This is cool.

In the PS1 version you can't do this, at least from my experience you can't.

The gameplay in the Jaguar version is fast and quick, and the controls feel good, these are things that the PS1 version lacks imo.

Edit: the 3DO version looks exactly the same as the Jaguar (same backgrounds etc.) but with sharper graphics and bigger animals.

Can't say anything about the controls/gameplay though.

Edited by Isgoed
  • Like 1

In the Jaguar version, with the Armadon character you can perform the "uppercut" special move which attacks and throws your opponent high up in the air, and before he falls down you can perform the "bed of nails" special move so that he falls right into your spikes.

This is cool.

In the PS1 version you can't do this, at least from my experience you can't.

The gameplay in the Jaguar version is fast and quick, and the controls feel good, these are things that the PS1 version lacks imo.

Edit: the 3DO version looks exactly the same as the Jaguar (same backgrounds etc.) but with sharper graphics and bigger animals.

Can't say anything about the controls/gameplay though.

I wonder if the Jaguar version was the "base" version for the 32-bit+ systems just as it was for Doom.

It's disappointing to hear that the 3DO version has sharper graphics. I'm curious if this is due to the JagCD's alleged RAM limitations or perhaps the programmers relying [too much] upon the 68000 - and instead of the other co-processors - whereas the 3DO version obviously replying upon the more straightforward ARM CPU.

This is for another discussion but it sounds like - from what I've read - that the 3DO wasn't as easy to program as the Lynx was [the dev tools not being as friendly]. Of course, it was easier to program for than the Jaguar, the PS1, and the Saturn, but it's a bit odd it wasn't as easy as the Lynx since both consoles were created by the same folks [RJ and Needle].

• Like 1

I wonder if the Jaguar version was the "base" version for the 32-bit+ systems just as it was for Doom.

It's disappointing to hear that the 3DO version has sharper graphics. I'm curious if this is due to the JagCD's alleged RAM limitations or perhaps the programmers relying [too much] upon the 68000 - and instead of the other co-processors - whereas the 3DO version obviously replying upon the more straightforward ARM CPU.

This is for another discussion but it sounds like - from what I've read - that the 3DO wasn't as easy to program as the Lynx was [the dev tools not being as friendly]. Of course, it was easier to program for than the Jaguar, the PS1, and the Saturn, but it's a bit odd it wasn't as easy as the Lynx since both consoles were created by the same folks [RJ and Needle].

From the wiki the Jaguar is a port of the 3do version.The Jaguar version is a rushed port. In some areas way sloppy. Those other systems have 1 meg of video ram so whether the Jaguar could do as big a sprites with as many colors might have been problematic. A better job could have been done on the port we have for sure.

Reportedly the 3do was super easy to program for with its Operating system and dev software. Reports were that Trip Hawkins was a software guy and made sure all the development software got devs up to speed asap.

• Like 1

@Lynxpro:Regarding talk of how 'easy' 3DO was to code for, i recal R J Mical saying (back in late'94) with regards to how 3DO had been designed, that he+his team had wanted to put together an engine that would push pixels around very conveniently, have high rendering rates and produce natural, real-world effects.

Also that whilst there were a lot of applications that you could do if you had a huge amount of polygon rendering horsepower behind you, that would be more difficult if you did'nt, it was just one part of a good games system.You also needed to have excellent audio processing and be able to animate characters well.

So system seemed designed to cover as many bases as possible.