IGNORED

Season 3/ Week 28 ~ The NEW HSC ~ Dragonfire

Vocelli

Once I lose a life or 2, my game usually all falls apart & I just purposely lose the rest just to start over.

Bet that's why Imagic implemented the fire button start on this, they envisioned millions of prince lives being lost so we didnt have to keep getting up to reset the console.

• Like 2

Cap, I've got a figure-eight pattern I use that seems to be pretty successful at minimizing the fireballs and keeps the dragon changing direction. Depending on treasure placement, I can usually clear screen in two passes. Where I get into trouble is near the bottom. Is that what you are up to?

• Like 1

Cap, I've got a figure-eight pattern I use that seems to be pretty successful at minimizing the fireballs and keeps the dragon changing direction. Depending on treasure placement, I can usually clear screen in two passes. Where I get into trouble is near the bottom. Is that what you are up to?

Sort of. The bottom treasures are hard to get, but usualy I die from doubling back on a earlier thrown fireball (I need to either change direction earlier, or much later).

Also working on a pattern to get across the bridge with only jumping once. I think I have the timing down so I make few if any mistakes.

• Like 1

Sort of. The bottom treasures are hard to get, but usualy I die from doubling back on a earlier thrown fireball (I need to either change direction earlier, or much later).

Also working on a pattern to get across the bridge with only jumping once. I think I have the timing down so I make few if any mistakes.

I rarely have to jump more than once, and then only if the lower fireball comes first. I run out at the midpoint and duck. The upper fireball usually comes first with the lower trailing closely below. Either raise up and jump or jump from the crouched position and then make for the door. Unless the lower comes first, or extremely late behind the upper, I rarely have to wait for the second round of fireballs.

Well, I am back to my old self.

Dragonfire - 199,320

gallery_38581_1110_3289.png

I think I can roll this (of course, I thought I could roll Phoenix, but that didn't happen). I think the best thing is to wait for a high fireball followed by a slightly delayed low fireball on the bridge. If you wait for this, you only need to jump once (less chance for errors, and you only get 7 of those), then wait at about 3/4 of the bridge to duck the next high fireball. You should have enough time before another low fireball comes to kill you.

Remember, you can always outrun a low fireball if you have a couple of fireball lengths on it (if you have to duck a high fireball while running back behind the towers to dodge).

I think it is best to immediately exit the hideout when you get into the treasure room. It helps with not having to time exiting when the dragon moves to the opposite direction. Here is a little video showing some of the techniques. (unfortunately, Dragonfire uses a 2600 technique of not drawing the human sprite every frame, so it looks like the prince blinks away to no existent. Anyone know of a good emulator setting for PCAE that will fix that?)

Edited by CapitanClassic
  • Like 3

All motivation to keep playing Robot Tank is gone...

Way ahead of you on that one! Dragonfire is one of my all-time favorites, but it seems like I have trouble cracking 10k. I must have at one point convinced myself i was awesome at this one just 'cause I'd been in and out of so many castles, I suppose. Never had score to compare to, and in fact it took lots of heartache and yelling at the screen just to break 9. Go fig.Thanks to Captain Classic for the hint about going in the opposite direction of the dragon -- that was a huge game changer (so to speak)

post-40055-0-40661800-1410372320_thumb.jpg

• Like 1