IGNORED

TRS80 Coco 3 issue?

eebuckeye

I bought a Coco3 which appears to be in great condition (never opened). I opened it because it would not always boot correctly. Somethings I get a rolling screen or garbled graphics. I opened it up and pressed down on the dimms as they could have been very very slightly lifted but I'm not sure. It seems to boot better now but the graphics are not crisp. I.E. the letters do not look solid black.

I noticed the caps look a little different to me but I'm not sure if they are bad. What is the white marks on the caps?

post-25646-0-14564600-1410110388_thumb.jpg

post-25646-0-77691000-1410110395_thumb.jpg

I don't think that white stuff is anything to worry about. I have that powder looking substance on the capacitors in that exact sport and when I had it's power switch replaced, I asked the tech who repaired it and he said it wasn't a leaking capacitor. Can't remember what he said it was off hand though.

If you're really concerned try posting a link to this thread at the coco mailing list

Just sign up there and send an email to the group and you should get some responses.

Edited by AtariLeaf

I would use the proper tool and pull the gimme chip and reinsert it. It is the square VTI chip. Yours is the 1st 1986 version. It is a little buggy and you will see sparkles on screen using Nitros9 during disk access. The next version marked 1987 is much improved. That is not to say a CoCo3 with an 86 gimme is junk. Not at all. My 1st CoCo3 was an 86 and I used it for years.

The white stuff might just be material to keep the caps from vibrating during shipment. From the pics it doesn't appear to be leaking fron the caps themselves.

Do what Official Ninja said re-seat and clean the GIME chip. This one step will solve many CoCo3 display issues.

Thanks for responding R_R - hopefully the OP can get this fixed. I love seeing coco's getting fixed. :)

• Like 2

What is the best way to pop-out and clean the GIME chip? Could I buy the newer version if I wanted?

You might be able to get the 87 version from cloud9tech.

You need a plcc extractor to remove the chip without risk of damage.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_5?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=plcc%20extractor&sprefix=plcc+%2Caps%2C584

Edited by Official Ninja