A.K.A. Revolutionika

• 15,509 posts

Posted Sun Sep 7, 2014 9:27 PM

#2 Lathe26 OFFLINE  

Lathe26

River Patroller

• 3,014 posts

Posted Sun Sep 7, 2014 10:04 PM

That video is awesome.  Right down to the woodgrain.

#3 JasonlikesINTV OFFLINE  

JasonlikesINTV

Quadrunner

• 8,432 posts

Posted Sun Sep 7, 2014 10:17 PM

Someday I can fondly look back at this post and reminisce on the first time I watched an early commercial for the 2014 Intellivision Flashback....which itself reminisces back to the eighties.  It's currently brand new, but it will be meta-vintage to my future self.

Also, future self....do you still have a beard?  I hope so.  If you don't, just remember all the fun we had and grow it back   ;-)

#4 cmart604 ONLINE  

cmart604

Intellivision Hoarder

• 11,416 posts
  • But Atari Rules!

Posted Sun Sep 7, 2014 10:24 PM

Wow. That was awesome. :) you know what the one thought going through my head was though?....kids weren't as fat back then. ;)

#5 BBWW OFFLINE  

BBWW

River Patroller

• 2,913 posts
  • If it is not fun move away slowly.

Posted Sun Sep 7, 2014 10:25 PM

Yes back when for a few short weeks I could kick ass and beat my kids at all the games.

#6 Rev OFFLINE  

Rev

A.K.A. Revolutionika

• Topic Starter
  • 15,509 posts

Posted Sun Sep 7, 2014 10:34 PM

I wonder if there will actually be flashback commercials on Tv?

#7 cmart604 ONLINE  

cmart604

Intellivision Hoarder

• 11,416 posts
  • But Atari Rules!

Posted Sun Sep 7, 2014 10:44 PM

Where did you find this?

#8 Muzz73 OFFLINE  

Muzz73

Moonsweeper

• 379 posts

Posted Sun Sep 7, 2014 10:50 PM

Oh, I hafta...

#9 Rev OFFLINE  

Rev

A.K.A. Revolutionika

• Topic Starter
  • 15,509 posts

Posted Sun Sep 7, 2014 10:59 PM

Where did you find this?

Where do I find anything?

Someone sent me the link. It is on intv prods YT channel.

#10 IntyPod Burgertime OFFLINE  

IntyPod Burgertime

Star Raider

• 98 posts
  • Running from pickles

Posted Mon Sep 8, 2014 12:42 AM

Saw it earlier. Went ahead and shared it on my Facebook page.

Have a feeling clips will be taken out of this for use on the podcast. :)

#11 wolfy62 OFFLINE  

wolfy62

River Patroller

• 2,762 posts

Posted Mon Sep 8, 2014 6:16 AM

Thanks for sharing that Rev, great commercial!

#12 save2600 ONLINE  

save2600

Quadrunner

• 14,319 posts

Posted Mon Sep 8, 2014 6:34 AM

Hey, the chick on the couch as she's older, is still talking on the same AT&T cordless landline... when really, she'd be on a cell phone today! :lol:

#13 Robert Sublett OFFLINE  

Robert Sublett

Star Raider

• 61 posts

Posted Mon Sep 8, 2014 8:23 AM

That made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.  It has inspired me to have one of my old units fixed and mod to play the games that aren't on there.

#14 cmart604 ONLINE  

cmart604

Intellivision Hoarder

• 11,416 posts
  • But Atari Rules!

Posted Mon Sep 8, 2014 10:39 AM

At first I thought ponytail guy was Chris Jericho. It's not.

#15 Troy_Whelan OFFLINE  

Troy_Whelan

Dragonstomper

• 827 posts

Posted Mon Sep 8, 2014 6:46 PM

What?  No 8-track tapes?  Only cassettes?  I still had a LOT of 8-track tapes back then.

#16 cvga OFFLINE  

cvga

River Patroller

• 4,306 posts

Posted Mon Sep 8, 2014 7:23 PM

I love Intellivision and will definitely get the Flashback but am I the only one who thought that commercial was lame?

#17 JasonlikesINTV OFFLINE  

JasonlikesINTV

Quadrunner

• 8,432 posts

Posted Mon Sep 8, 2014 7:44 PM

I love Intellivision and will definitely get the Flashback but am I the only one who thought that commercial was lame?

Their representation of the 80s seemed forced. I don't remember that many overweight redheads. I did wear a lot of neon, though. I had pair of Chuck Taylors with fluorescent green shoestrings on the left shoe and fluorescent pink on the right. Went great with my Bugle Boy, Ocean Pacific, and Gotcha branded clothes :) Pretty sure I had a side spike hairdo too.

#18 intvsteve OFFLINE  

intvsteve

River Patroller

• 2,771 posts

Posted Mon Sep 8, 2014 8:45 PM

Frosted jeans...

And I agree about the forced nature of the 'feel' of the commercial. There were so many one-hit wonders on the radio you'd think they could've sprung to pay for a bit of period music instead of the generic corporate "this is what we make" bland oatmeal blah blah music. It feels timid, as if they're saying "You remember this and liked it... right?" instead of "Remember when games were AWESOME!". (Or was that used already?)

One thing that stands out about the 80s in my memory was that it bristled with a bit more confidence - not necessarily braggadocio - just look-you-in-the-eye confidence.

#19 JasonlikesINTV OFFLINE  

JasonlikesINTV

Quadrunner

• 8,432 posts

Posted Mon Sep 8, 2014 10:37 PM

One thing that stands out about the 80s in my memory was that it bristled with a bit more confidence - not necessarily braggadocio - just look-you-in-the-eye confidence.

This guy knows what you're talking about   ;-)

cf67343ba5b3ff099cf16c010396a162.jpg

Edited by JasonlikesINTV, Mon Sep 8, 2014 10:39 PM.

#20 Intellfan OFFLINE  

Intellfan

Dragonstomper

• 774 posts

Posted Tue Sep 9, 2014 5:11 AM

I liked the commercial and I think it will help sell a lot of these. Lets hope so :)

#21 Intymike ONLINE  

Intymike

River Patroller

• 2,541 posts

Posted Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:46 PM

Wow. That was awesome. :) you know what the one thought going through my head was though?....kids weren't as fat back then. ;)

Exactly my thoughts! And no one in the commercial seems to know how to use the contollers.  ;)

#22 pimpmaul69 OFFLINE  

pimpmaul69

River Patroller

• 4,834 posts
  • INTV Brotherhood Technician

Posted Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:55 PM

Exactly my thoughts! And no one in the commercial seems to know how to use the contollers.  ;)

i was thinking to myself, "how are people going to react when they find out they have to use some side buttons that are stiff as hell?" Im hoping they arent as stiff as the original though

#23 jaybird3rd ONLINE  

jaybird3rd

Quadrunner

• 8,502 posts
  • "Excuse me, sir? I have a question ..."

Posted Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:45 PM

Their representation of the 80s seemed forced. I don't remember that many overweight redheads. I did wear a lot of neon, though. I had pair of Chuck Taylors with fluorescent green shoestrings on the left shoe and fluorescent pink on the right. Went great with my Bugle Boy, Ocean Pacific, and Gotcha branded clothes :) Pretty sure I had a side spike hairdo too.

Cool commercial, but you're right about how the 80s are often represented.  They probably have to exaggerate 80s fashions a bit to make them visually different, but I don't remember seeing anywhere near as much "big hair" or spiky hair or neon-colored clothing as you usually see in most portrayals.  I don't remember seeing as many overweight kids, either.  The 80s kids that you see on old episodes of "Mr. Wizard's World" (and other kids' shows from that era) look much more like the kids I knew: plain old jeans, t-shirts or polo shirts, sweaters or hooded sweatshirts in the wintertime, and basic bowl haircuts on the boys.  Fairly conservative overall.  Sure, we were stuck with bad haircuts or garish glasses sometimes, but I still prefer that to thong bikinis for eleven year old girls, which you didn't see back then, either.

Exactly. It's something that I miss today.  Then again, given how much we coddle and spoil today's kids, it's not surprising if they grow up much more timid and tentative.

#24 pimpmaul69 OFFLINE  

pimpmaul69

River Patroller

• 4,834 posts
  • INTV Brotherhood Technician

Posted Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:46 AM

Cool commercial, but you're right about how the 80s are often represented.  They probably have to exaggerate 80s fashions a bit to make them visually different, but I don't remember seeing anywhere near as much "big hair" or spiky hair or neon-colored clothing as you usually see in most portrayals.  I don't remember seeing as many overweight kids, either.  The 80s kids that you see on old episodes of "Mr. Wizard's World" (and other kids' shows from that era) look much more like the kids I knew: plain old jeans, t-shirts or polo shirts, sweaters or hooded sweatshirts in the wintertime, and basic bowl haircuts on the boys.  Fairly conservative overall.  Sure, we were stuck with bad haircuts or garish glasses sometimes, but I still prefer that to thong bikinis for eleven year old girls, which you didn't see back then,

this is very much the portrayal of the 80's where i lived in colorado. The only thing i dont ever recall seeing were a bunch of fat gingers. but yes the hair was huge (which i actually like) and it was stirrup pants, leggings, keds, tons of those bracelets, and neon for the girls and permed mullets, quicksilver or ocean pacific tshirts with the sleeves rolled, and neon muscle pants for the guys. Jason posted a bugle boys pic in the cge thread and it looks (going from the smallest kid to the tallest kid) like me in fifth, sixth and seventh grade. Some people hate the eighties and i love everything about the seventies and eighties. And this commercial gave me chills. I am so excited waiting for these stupid things to come out.

Edited by pimpmaul69, Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:48 AM.

#25 doctorclu ONLINE  

doctorclu

******Blue Max****** *****Class 4***** **Moon Master**

• 7,135 posts
  • Captain - Class 2

Posted Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:13 AM

Really love the Flashback idea (and I've forwarded this on my Facebook).  My complaint: No cartridge port.   If the Genesis Flashback can get a cartridge port, why not Atari or Intellivision?

To play Tron Deadly Discs (or any Disney game or even recent homebrew) I have to pull out a REAL Intellivision.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users