IGNORED

Harmony as a standalone console?

maiki

I wonder if it was possible to use Harmony cartridge hardware to produce a standalone console that would not only run 2600 games but also provide access to full potential of the 70 MHz CPU. By adding some dedicated video and audio out, and controllers input components I can imagine it could work.

Edited by maiki
  • Like 1

That would be really interesting! :) At 70 mhz it's going to need an emulator written in asm (at least for the hot spots) to play Atari games; there's a 2600 port for RockBox (opensource alternative mp3 player firmware/OS) that may already run on this chip.

The cart could still plug right into the VCS to be powered by Atari or to charge an onboard battery :)

That sounds exactly like what the C-64's Chameleon cartridge does: http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/Chameleon

That's a nice piece of hardware Bill! :) I like the dual SID emulation; wondering if it can harness the internal SID in tandem and if it lets the C64 access the soft 1541's?

If the multiple cores also let you use the C64 keyboard mapping as well as an external one that would be quite an experience too - running the Atari 800 emulator via the c64 keyboard :)