IGNORED

7800 PlayStation 2 controller adapter

CPUWIZ

What ever happened to that? Vaporware? :?

I am asking, because I just had a moment of "AHA!" and I think I can use the PCB's, I had made for the MCP I/O board, to make one. :ponder:

I think I am gonna fire up MPLab later, the protocol doesn't look very complicated. Screw arcade sticks, PS2 controllers are cheap and feel great, on top of that, you can buy plenty of PS2 arcade sticks for cheap.

EDIT: Some lunatic claims that I took this from someone else, even claims I have some adapter already, that someone else made. I wrote every single line of assembly code myself and I ran my own logic analyzer, I asked whatever happened to the old project, that's all. So this thread is closed and I have a Robotron adapter. LOL

• Like 9

I am asking, because I just had a moment of "AHA!" and I think I can use the PCB's, I had made for the MCP I/O board, to make one. :ponder:

I think I am gonna fire up MPLab later, the protocol doesn't look very complicated. Screw arcade sticks, PS2 controllers are cheap and feel great, on top of that, you can buy plenty of PS2 arcade sticks for cheap.

"Build it and they will come!" I mean, "buy!" :)

"Build it and they will come!" I mean, "buy!" :)

I thought that, when I made the devkit/homebrew flash cart. ;)

EDIT: LOL, I just found the protocol for the PS2 Guitar Hero controller. I wonder if the DDR pad has it's own protocol as well, someone could totally do a DDR, with POKEY.

• Like 1

Wongojack I believe showed an adapter for PS2 pad to Atari,

I bought one myself, but haven't tried it yet.

Hooking up a PS2 to both controller ports for Robotron 2048, or for 2600 games that use 2 controllers (Stargete, Defender Arcade) is something I want. I've actually just received some Sega Genesis 3-button pads, one for modding to connect to both ports to play Defender Arcade.

If you make a controller box for using unmodified PS2 sticks, I want to buy one.

I can even supply my own joystick extension cable cords.

Hooking up a PS2 to both controller ports for Robotron 2048, or for 2600 games that use 2 controllers (Stargete, Defender Arcade) is something I want. I've actually just received some Sega Genesis 3-button pads, one for modding to connect to both ports to play Defender Arcade.

If you make a controller box for using unmodified PS2 sticks, I want to buy one.

I can even supply my own joystick extension cable cords.

Back of the envelope calculations reveal, that I can do dual directions, with one button each, or dual direction, with only two buttons on one port. So, yes, SpyHunter and Robotron would be a go on the first scheme. :)

PS2IO.JPG

• Like 7

To hell with it, even if, I need to see if I can make it work with my existing boards. Could be cool for other purposes too, hell, could interface to Coleco, C64, etc.!

Turned one of my MCP I/O boards into a socket festival, so it can be used like a breadboard. Theoratically, all connections are there to read the PS2 joystick and control one LED (for now). Now I just need to write the PIC code (ICSP connection already in place, as you can see). :)

PS_IO.JPG

• Like 8