IGNORED

7800 PlayStation 2 controller adapter

CPUWIZ

DDR pad functions 100% identical to a digital stick, works perfectly. The weird wheel controller comes back like a analog stick and the wheel is basically analog left and right, up, down and right are pegged at max values, not a very useful controller, but it works fine. The mouse is more interesting, it ID's itself with 0x12 and has a 6 byte protocol, like the analog sticks and the last two bytes are horizontal and vertical deltas. :)

I'll probably add support for that, I'll map a 4 bit delta to the left stick and a 4 bit delta to the right stick. :D

Great info, Stephen. Thanks for sharing it!

Incompatibility reports with newer PS2 revision controllers not working (fully) on anything but slim PS2 consoles are out there.

This site provides a list of various (PS2) controller revisions. Interestingly, early in its cycle, they kept the same model 'A' letter while making changes to the internals of the controller:

Playstation 2 Dual Shock A (Early Version with Resistor)
Playstation 2 Dual Shock A (Early Version w/o Resistor)
Playstation 2 Dual Shock A (Middle Version)
Playstation 2 Dual Shock A (Late Version)
Playstation 2 Dual Shock H
Playstation 2 Dual Shock M
Revision M shows a slightly different PIN layout than the other controllers, like a Late Version A.
Revision H has an additional PIN not present in version A or M.
Hopefully, most of the changes are not significant enough to impact adapter design(s); nonetheless, it would be prudent to take revisions and changes of the PS2 controller into consideration.
For the curious, here are the various PS2 controller diagrams referenced in the above list: attachicon.gifPS2_Controller_Diagrams.zip

For the more curious, the "PIN layout" inside the controller is not relevant. Sorry, I only just got a chance to check out those links. What they call PIN layout, has nothing to do with how the controller talks, this is hardwire info only! The pin layout I need is a total of 6 wires and it CAN NOT CHANGE, it's impossible. All the "pins" come out of the protocol. ;) Incompatibility can come from protocol changes, but that is it.

I pulled a box of DS2 controllers out of the garage, that I saved from the BIN at work, when we were done with PS2 development. They all work.

• Like 2

I have determined that the whole wonky resistor circuit is not needed at all, if you are targeting the 7800. With a slightly bigger MCU, I could do dual joysticks and 6 buttons on the 7800 (no multiplexing, you could technically press all of them at once). I already ordered a few next generation PIC's from Thailand, that aren't the size of a POKEY. These new PIC's have something I have not seen before, pin assignment of hardware functions, absolutely brilliant for circuit board design. Not only that, but you can clock them at 16MHz, without adding a crystal.

Anyone making arcade controllers, you may want to take notes, all you need is a cable that has all 9 wires connected, resistors are not needed. ;)

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I have determined that the whole wonky resistor circuit is not needed at all, if you are targeting the 7800. With a slightly bigger MCU, I could do dual joysticks and 6 buttons on the 7800 (no multiplexing, you could technically press all of them at once). I already ordered a few next generation PIC's from Thailand, that aren't the size of a POKEY. These new PIC's have something I have not seen before, pin assignment of hardware functions, absolutely brilliant for circuit board design. Not only that, but you can clock them at 16MHz, without adding a crystal.

Anyone making arcade controllers, you may want to take notes, all you need is a cable that has all 9 wires connected, resistors are not needed. ;)

So you are saying Resistance is futile?

• Like 3