IGNORED

The CGE exclusive Intv game BLIX is limited to 30 copies

Rev

In fact it depends on the type of contract signed.

The small letter in post #1 says after 3 years the game will be available again

The author could have signed up a contract for a non-exclusive distribution, that is, giving rights to AtGames for distribution but the original authors keeping the right to manufacture further copies.

No way to blame AtGames, because the author is who provides contract. (from my experience with Colecovision Flashback)

• Like 4

I think it's a good sign that Atgames is actively looking for and licensing games for the next generation Intellivision Flashback.

We don't even know what this "Blix" game is. If it's a bad game, then it's no big loss that we can't get one.

If it's a good game, we can get it on the new Flashback next year, probably for less than the cost of a Homebrew cartridge.

• Like 2

If such a boycott campaign of the Flashback were successfully enough to force more releases of "Blix", this would likely negatively affect Intellivision Productions as well. A successful boycott could undermine the possibility of a release of the Flashback 2. It could cause the relationship between the homebrew community and Intellivision Productions to become extremely hostile. It could have other bad results not foreseen.

Myself, I prefer to keep the Intellivision as something that is fun.

End of the day, Blix is just a game.

• Like 3

The real mystery is who programmed the actual game, and what pcb is used inside, someone crack it open and snap a pic.

The answers to your questions are:

1. I verbally was told Michael Hayes.
  2. A green circuit board
  3. I am not willing to be that someone

Ok, for a less smart-ass answer for #2, I can see that the PCB edge connector says "PCB LAYOUT COPYRIGHT 2014 HARVEY DEKLEINE" and "INTELLIVISION - V1.0". It also says "L" on the left side of the board and "R" on the right side of the board, but I haven't translated what these technical abbreviations mean.

• Like 3

Even if available on a future flashback, I prefer to play the inty on actual hardware - not on emulation or flashback. I consider flashback a nice novelty item but not a substitute for the real thing. I think it's unfortunate that this is what was decided and hope an increased run is made at a later date for myself and many others on these boards who have supported the inty through a variety of homebrew projects.

Meh. After the initial Philly Classic release of my own game... (what one was it again? ;) ) ...and an overall total run (Philly + Regular) in the mid 50s, it wasn't available again in cart form for another 3 years, as I recall. It's not the first "show exclusive" cart I've seen and I doubt it'll be the last.

I don't fault ATGames for being business people. Heck, they brought us new hand controllers that feel really good, and a unit that in my limited testing seems pretty good so far. It's Mike's prerogative as to how he releases his games, not anyone else's.

I bought my Flashback here at the show, and I plan to buy a couple more to ensure I get some of those lovely hand controllers. If they decide to sell the hand controllers separately of the unit, even better. (Yes, there's a wiring issue, but it's really no big deal to address.)

• Like 2

Yes, I made the PCBs. These were essentially built from a batch of quick-turn prototype PCBs that I had made, prior to the batch for Space Raid, Sydney Hunter, etc.

It's pretty much this game: http://www.v62.net/blix/

It's not great. The game itself is pretty decent, but there's no animation or indication on the screen that you've completed a column. The same goes for any chain reaction columns that get completed. As a result, it's difficult to see what you're accomplishing. If you try the online version, you'll see the completed columns turn white then black... the Intellivision version has none of this.

I haven't played it much, so hopefully someone can confirm, but I seem to recall that the game is the same each time, and has no randomness if you do the same moves each time you play.

• Like 1

I never taught the day would come when I would tell someone not to buy an Intellivision product but this is a first..l Im not buying a flashback. Atgames spit in every hobbyist face who could not make it to cge. I hope one of the 30 that they relase makes it to a rom site.

Voltron I think you misunderstand.

The guy from Good Deal Games made and released the cartridge.

AT Games was only planning on releasing it on there 2nd Intellivision Flashback.

I am not sure those two companies are that closely connected.

Of course I could be wrong, I am a collector not a creator.

Anyway, I like the game despite the fact that other than the title screen on my INTV 2 the sound is almost non existent.

Odd that AtGames would sell/give out a cartridge game when they have shown zero interest in putting cartridge ports on their systems. Not to mention the list of incompatibilities between their Flashback accessories (controllers, overlays) preventing them from being used on original equipment.

That cartridge has nothing to do with AtGames. Also, whether or not there are SD card slots or cartridge ports on their systems is not really up to them in the end. As we've seen with the Sega stuff, if it's allowed by the licensing company, it will be on there.

That cartridge has nothing to do with AtGames. Also, whether or not there are SD card slots or cartridge ports on their systems is not really up to them in the end. As we've seen with the Sega stuff, if it's allowed by the licensing company, it will be on there.

Yeah I was being somewhat facetious! I think the "defender of the universe" owes someone an apology. :P

Yeah I was being somewhat facetious! I think the "defender of the universe" owes someone an apology. :P

You know, it's a fascinating psychological study overall. I've long since given up on getting every possible homebrew (I pick and choose what I can based on budget and interest), but it's clear some in our community NEED to have every possible game for a complete collection. I must admit, it bothered me in the past when I'd miss out on a game, but once the volume of releases started to pick up, it simply became impossible, particularly since I personally collect for every system ever. I'm sure I'd feel differently if I were like some people on here who focus on one system. Then it might be more important for me. In the end, though, I think it's healthier not to drive yourself nuts with having to have every possible variation of everything. It's almost like it's a competition, but the reality is we're not really competing against anyone else, especially since there will always be people out there who have stuff we don't have (and likely vice-versa).

• Like 2

I'm sure I'd feel differently if I were like some people on here who focus on one system. Then it might be more important for me. In the end, though, I think it's healthier not to drive yourself nuts with having to have every possible variation of everything.

But...but...but.. ;)

• Like 1

Bill, I rarely buy homebrews anymore. I want to play the games, and would probably pay a small fee for the roms (I did so for DK and D2K Arcade), but I don't have the room for them. Plus like you said, I would wind up trying to buy them all up, so I have "shut myself" down! Besides, I've taken more to buying all the flash carts out there!

• Like 2

We all know that collections are never 'complete'. I think of collections as being similar to fingerprints in that no two are alike. Even two similar collections containing all 125 CIB will be drastically different mainly due to variations, but also due to condition. I'm missing the three big games, but if someone offered to trade me their random CIB 125 (with Spiker) for my 123 (without Spiker) I would decline without question. I love the unique mix of items I have and I've worked hard to acquire, sort through, and display it. The effort I put in (the journey) is what drives my passion, while the illusion of 'completion' (the destination) appeals to me less everyday. I LIKE having missing items because means I get to keep riding this insane train. I worked hard to get Blix, but I'm still missing many many other former limited exclusives. It is what it is. Time, cost, obligations, life.....these can all 'get in the way' of collecting, but if you don't have an overall balance in life you're not going to have a good time.

Now everyone go and give your collection a big hug to let it know it's appreciated. Don't make it feel neglected like Woody felt when Andy got excited about his new Blix Lightyear ;-)

• Like 6

BTW, where are the game instructions posted at? GDG had 1 piece of paper that explained the rules that I thought mentioned that the instructions were online. However, I forgot to take a picture.

I haven't tried playing it yet since I am sssoooooo buried by things to catch up on after the trip. However, I will play it soon.

I think the paper at GDG only had information about the issues with the game and not any instructions (at least the one that I saw). A pic of the paper is shown on the first post on this thread.

Anyway, the game is fairly simplistic. You have three rows of different symbols and then you move right or left using the keypad buttons (1&3 for top, 4&6 for middle and 7&9 for bottom) to line-up the same character vertically. You lose your energy if you move past the edge on either side or something like that, I get the game over screen without knowing exactly why. Not much to it...

I played it on my Sears unit and the sound is minimal but not sure if that is the issue they were referring to.

Actually, the paper I was referring to was a 2nd paper that was separate from the notice in the first post (not pictured above). This paper was a full 8.5" x 11" in a protective plastic sleeve that had screen shots and instructions. It was located close to the front edge of the table.

Thanks for the written instructions. That will help.

Actually, the paper I was referring to was a 2nd paper that was separate from the notice in the first post (not pictured above). This paper was a full 8.5" x 11" in a protective plastic sleeve that had screen shots and instructions. It was located close to the front edge of the table.

Somehow I missed that. Did anyone get a pic?