IGNORED

Atari 2600 power supply issue?

atarinoobster

I recently received an Atari 2600 (4 switches) which was in working condition from the previous owner. Upon receiving it and plugging it in to my TV, it did not work. I see snow on the TV and I am using the RCA to RF (Coax) connector. I have a multimeter and when I tested the Atari power supply, it shows 20v. Is that an issue given that the brick is rated at 9v?

Also, with the power supply connected to an outlet and I plug the cord into the back of the Atari, I do not see the "spark" that other threads mention, regardless of whether or not the Atari is on or off. Unfortunately I do not have a spare Atari power supply or Atari to validate against.

If anyone has any thoughts on this, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

The real question is whether or not the voltage droops down to around 9ish volts when it is loaded. I think that the regulator in there is a 7805 - those things are pretty rugged so long as they can get rid of the excess heat.

I would plug it back in and read the voltage from there. From that point, I would proceed to see if there is 5v coming from the regulator - just do it quickly in the event that it is a solid 20v... :)

Thanks Atariman and BigO. I tested the voltage at the voltage regulator and it reads about 6.5v. Assuming that is ok, do you folks have any other thoughts on what else I can check?

6.5v is not ok. Anything over 5.3 is bad and eventually fatal to the IC's. I'd replace the 7805 regulator first, and then recheck voltage.