IGNORED

Will the Atari 5200 4-port hook to a modern flat-screen Samsung?

2d gamer

Hello. I received the 4-port version of the 5200. Is there a way that this will attach to a modern Samsung flatscreen?

I have the "special adapter" that came with the 4-port system also.

Love the avatar!

I have my 4-port connected to a 20" LCD I bought at Best Buy. The switch box works fine although it tends to get stuck in the antenna jack.

There are mods out there that'll add S-Video/Composite and also remove the need to have the power supply connected to the RF Modulator Switch. And there's the VBXE mod that can make the 5200 export RGB but that's about 100 euros.

Welcome!

Thanks for the note Lynxpro. I also have a Lynx by the way and love it. My avatar is a group of us dressed in the theme of "The Prisoner."

Do you happen to know where a person can purchase a mod that will eliminate the need for the strange switch box?

Best,

Darrin

Edited by 2d gamer

I hooked up my heavy 6'er to my 60" Sharp Aquos through the tuner just to see how it looked. It actually looked pretty tolerable. But, lag made Circus and Kaboom all but unplayable, even with the TV in Game mode. The Game mode did reduce the lag noticeably.

I passed it through an old analog tuner (demodulator if you prefer) that I have and fed the composite video/audio to the TV. That setup, along with Game mode, made both games playable with only very slight, if any, noticeable lag.

So, passing the signal through a VCR to convert the signal down to baseband video may make your setup workable (even on a larger screen) if there's too much lag through the tuner.

It's too much of a hassle to keep it hidden in my living room or I could see leaving my 2600 hooked up to the big screen all of the time.

I have a 4 port and 2 port and I hook them up to my 50 inch plasma and they look great. If you have a way to get a hold of a hifi vcr hook the 5200 in to that and then the VCR into the TV, it will look a little better.

I have always wondered if this kind of thing really works or is it more a "placebo affect"....