IGNORED

ColecoVision Flashback 2 Wish List Ideas

TrekkiELO

Most of these wishlist are things that would have no noticeable effect on their sales or could even be detrimental.

I know you said "MOST OF", but the graphics and sounds issues should be major concerns especially since the CVFB is emulation based and the CV is a system that has been very well emulated since the late 90's.

It just gets tiring seeing things CV related (ie: the ADAM) rushed to market and not ironing everything out first... especially since there are many on this forum that would love to help AtGames out with testing, suggestions, etc., etc. The CV & ADAM are the only retro systems I care about (emulation is good enough for everything else), so this is something that is very personal for me and I would love to see the best possible product developed and released even if it means a higher price tag.

I just got all 4 AtGames reproduction consoles (Atari 5, Intellivision, ColecoVision, Sega Genesis) and the Coleco is my favorite by a mile. The games haven't been redone a million times somewhere else. The controllers are reminiscent of the originals without being a slavish clone -- IMHO they're way better on the new one, far less "creaky," and the straight cords feel like a minor miracle. The machine itself is cute and nicely styled. It's OK if the controllers aren't the same as the originals so long as they're BETTER.

We all know the SOC for all of these machines is the size of a stick of gum, and I'm pretty sure they're running similar hardware. I would love a Retro Trio that had Atari, Coleco, and Intellivison in one box, perhaps with a standard controller or the option to mix and match the controllers.

HDMI, better emulation, more games, SD card support, etc. of course, but I'm surprised that no one has mentioned a desire to have a menu button right on the hand controller. Make it RF wireless while we're at it, these old-style consoles are a mess of wires. Thank god there is no cartridge clutter.

• Like 1

They should just remake an actual unit with a cart slot to play all the games we have and new controllers...keeping some built in games for the casual consumer.

Come on just give us a Colecovision II already! :P

I'm happy with everyone's suggestions though so if they make another flashback I'll always support anything Coleco.

• Like 1

I'm sure there will be much needed improvements in the presumed next version, but unfortunately, HDMI is unlikely to be one of them (though that to me would be a major improvement). AtGames needs to hit a very specific price point with these in order for retailers to actually stock them on their shelves, and HDMI is one of the things that would push it past that point.

I think not liking the positioning of the AC adapter plug is kind of nitpicking considering the other issues present. I just don't see how that's a notable issue.

It's safe to say that right now the only things given for a next version are more games, slightly improved emulation, and controllers that are cross-compatible. Whether the actual controller design is modified with a much-needed longer shaft and to work with original overlays is anyone's guess at this point. I'm not sure how much engineering they'll devote to that, but it's still a ways off, so we can hold out hope, particularly if these 2014 Flashbacks prove particularly successful.

• Like 3

Does anyone know approximately how many (original) ColecoVision units were originally manufactured and sold in the 80s?

Does anyone know how many ColecoVision Flashback units were produced?

I think it would be funny if there were more of the newer unit than the old one. I wonder how many people there might be like me, who:

a. never had a ColecoVision of their own

b. played, liked, remember it, and ...

c. thirty years later, have a willingness to buy a homage toy

Does anyone know approximately how many (original) ColecoVision units were originally manufactured and sold in the 80s?

Does anyone know how many ColecoVision Flashback units were produced?

I think it would be funny if there were more of the newer unit than the old one. I wonder how many people there might be like me, who:

a. never had a ColecoVision of their own

b. played, liked, remember it, and ...

c. thirty years later, have a willingness to buy a homage toy

Somewhere between 2 and 3 million are the most reliable estimates. It was really only on the market for three years, so those numbers are actually quite impressive.

As for the ColecoVision Flashbacks, based on what I know, well under a million, and more like a few hundred thousand at best.

• Like 2

My preferences for improvements, in order:

1. Improved Emulation. In 2014 and beyond, audio and graphics reproduction should be near perfect. They aren't.
  2. More Games From the Original System's Run. Sure, this depends on licensing and tons of other issues, but it would be nice to have more of the original titles. The missing Nintendo titles will probably never arrive, but there were many others that helped defined the system. They are missed.

Those are the most important to me. The following would be nice, but they aren't deal breakers.

• Proper Joystick Height.
  • Joystick Backwards Compatibility.
  • HDMI.

I don't care about the location of the power jack.

If only one thing could be chosen, what immediately jumped out at me is the sound emulation. While all other already mentioned improvements along with the sound emulation fixes and improvements would be fantastic, the sound really needs to be 'fine tuned' first and foremost; it's really unforgivable, IMHO.

There's no excuse and cannot imagine for one second it was actually and properly tested and compared to original hardware, or with any of the (near) perfect sound emulation from the mid-1990's onward being both freely and widely available to anyone.

If only one thing could be chosen, what immediately jumped out at me is the sound emulation. While all other already mentioned improvements along with the sound emulation fixes and improvements would be fantastic, the sound really needs to be 'fine tuned' first and foremost; it's really unforgivable, IMHO.

There's no excuse and cannot imagine for one second it was actually and properly tested and compared to original hardware, or with any of the (near) perfect sound emulation from the mid-1990's onward being both freely and widely available to anyone.

It's indeed unforgivable, but assuming that the people who worked on the sound emulation had an original ColecoVision console that they could use for comparison purposes, they could still get the sound output wrong, because not everyone has the auditory ability to pinpoint frequency differences. Some people can actually listen to two electronically-generated sounds which are almost the same but not quite, and those people will say (and genuinely believe) that they are the same.

• Like 1

It's indeed unforgivable, but assuming that the people who worked on the sound emulation had an original ColecoVision console that they could use for comparison purposes, they could still get the sound output wrong, because not everyone has the auditory ability to pinpoint frequency differences. Some people can actually listen to two electronically-generated sounds which are almost the same but not quite, and those people will say (and genuinely believe) that they are the same.

I supplied them with a ColecoVision for testing purposes, so they had one. Intellivision Productions provided quite a bit of feedback for the Intellivision Flashback. Etc. I think it was simply a matter of needing to get these done in a certain amount of time and not being able to do the kind of quality checks that these would have really needed. Certainly that's the case for the controllers being the way they are. I think we all hope with the foundation in place that they'll be able to address most, if not all, of the issues with these for potential future versions.

• Like 4

Understood and agreed.

Regarding, QC, Testing/Testers...No-one picked up on it...Unforgivable (and BS)...The more likely scenario they thought, "close/good enough" (as 'we' can get it without digging deeper/researching/testing more).

I can't imagine someone(s) assigned to the sound emulation and/or testing, where no one in the group hears a clear difference. Minor video emulation details - absolutely, they slip through the cracks. The sound just smacks you in the face though.

Unforgivable (and BS)...The more likely scenario they thought, "close/good enough" (as 'we' can get it without digging deeper/researching/testing more).

A little perspective, please? :ponder: Murdering a child is "unforgivable." Getting the sound slightly off in an ancient video game is an inconvenience to those who notice.

Think about the triple constraints of cost, quality, and time. Few people would pay $400 for a perfect Flashback, nor would they want to subsidize a team of engineers to take the time to get it right (this was proven last year in the ColecoVision Kickstarter). What we got is not perfect, but I'd rather have this than nothing at all.

A little perspective, please? :ponder: Murdering a child is "unforgivable."

Perspective and context, my friend. :)

All of video gaming and hobbies pale in comparison to 'real life'. ;)

It's unforgiveable in the sense of "unable to excuse or give a pass to" respecting the quality of emulation - especially in the year 2014. As stated, we have near-perfect ColecoVision emulation since the mid 1990's running on 20+ year old hardware. This emulation should have been near flawless, or at the very least the sound should have been much better than what was delivered.

Agreed though, rather have this, than nothing at all; evidenced with the fact I've already purchased one (and have not nor plan to return it), which demonstrates my support for the company and its (future) endeavors towards ColecoVision products.

Here's to hoping that a "ColecoVision Flashback 2" is not only planned and delivered down the road, but with much better emulation quality (Similar to the difference between the original Atari Flashback and the Atari Flashback 2).

• Like 1

Games I would want:

HERO

Time Pilot

GORF

Any of the MSX ports they could legally (probably not) be allowed to bring over via the fan ports or actual effort.

Hardware:

HDMI or S Video.

Proper DB9 stick compatiblity, even if it had to be a little passthrough so one could use their own Genesis pads.

Ideally a controller closer to what the Neo Geo Pocket Color stick was. Clicky microswitch thumbpad with proper buttons. (Turbo would be nice too.) I mean the DINA had a D Pad controller, why not the Mk2?

I would pay 10 or so extra bucks for a higher grade unit.

Hell, do the Cartridge Port thing the Flashback 2 had!

Couple things I noticed -

• Still has the 8 second delay on the games
  • I sorta wish for the switch style of on button
  • Honestly, exactly mini replica would be perfect
  • leave the controllers alone - just tighten up the directional pad
  • box design more like original
  • longer cords or extensions
  • obviously a larger library of games would be nice
  • instructions option for the games
  • dress up the menu page a little better
  • maybe a compartment to slide the controllers into when not in use
Edited by playazclub

Keep em coming, I will pass these on to Coleco Holdings LLC :) We have their ear over at the ColecoVisions Podcast! And I already have talked to them about getting more licenses for the next ColecoVision flashback (especially the launch title Donkey Kong and the sequel Donkey Kong JR)

While I'd like to see Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong, Jr., I don't want them IF it costs us any multiples of those 15 games in my initial message, because for me along with many other fans, they are far more essential than just two Nintendo titles!

:cool:

Edited by TrekkiELO

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, a guy can dream, can he? But, yes that's true it would cost a lot of money to get those games on the next Flashback.

Otherwise, Nintendo would never let go of their Licenses that easily.

What I also want for the next Flashback is pretty much what everyone else has been wanting, an SD Card slot..

• 3 weeks later...