IGNORED

Could be the oldest ARABIC OS "NAJM"

Madi

Hello @Kr0tki and all,

I used the AtariMax software along with the MAX Flash USB Programmer. From the above 5 schemes, I chose 8, 24, 31, and 42. For some reason I was not able to find Express 64 KB cartridge.

After saving each dump, I removed and inserted the cartridge from the slot, and proceeded to the next dump.

I hope this works.

Thank you!

I think I have worked out the banking of "Bank al Malumat", but I need additional verification to be sure. Could you make additional dumps of this cartridge using the following mappings?

Type 12: XEGS 32 KB cartridge

Type 13: XEGS 64 KB cartridge

Type 14: XEGS 128 KB cartridge

Type 23: XEGS 256 KB cartridge

As for "Ikhtabir Thakaak", the banking scheme is Type 69: aDawliah 32 KB cartridge - the same as the three cartridges analysed back in December. I have uploaded the working ROM image to AtariOnline.

To anyone willing, please test if the image works correctly. Type 69 is supported by Atari800 >= 4.0.0 and Altirra >= 3.10-test25. Hint: Press Return to leave the title screen.

• Like 1

Thank you!

I think I have worked out the banking of "Bank al Malumat", but I need additional verification to be sure. Could you make additional dumps of this cartridge using the following mappings?

Type 12: XEGS 32 KB cartridge

Type 13: XEGS 64 KB cartridge

Type 14: XEGS 128 KB cartridge

Type 23: XEGS 256 KB cartridge

As for "Ikhtabir Thakaak", the banking scheme is Type 69: aDawliah 32 KB cartridge - the same as the three cartridges analysed back in December. I have uploaded the working ROM image <a data-ipb="nomediaparse" data-cke-saved-href="http://atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?ct=katalog&sub=I&tg=Ikhtabir%20Thaka"href="http://atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?ct=katalog&sub=I&tg=Ikhtabir%20Thaka" ak#ikhtabir%20thaka'ak"="">to AtariOnline.

To anyone willing, please test if the image works correctly. Type 69 is supported by Atari800 >= 4.0.0 and Altirra >= 3.10-test25. Hint: Press Return to leave the title screen.

Thank you! It works well on Altirra 3.10-test28 too! Here is a snapshot!

I think the only aDawliah program waiting to be rescued is called الكلمة الخفية al-Kalimah al-Khafiyyah. I hope someone gets access to that cartridge.

post-47812-0-55939900-1528324881.png

Edited by atari65xenajm

Strange..

I tested the game on Altirra 3.10-test28 WIN10 X64

The file: Ikhtabir Thaka'ak (198x)(aDawliah)(SA),bin works only when AltirraOS for XL/XE/XEGS is selected as an OS. The cartridge mapper 52 *MicroCalc 32K also must be selected.

The file: Ikhtabir Thaka'ak (198x)(aDawliah)(SA).car, is automatically picked up by Altirra.

The game executed normally using either:

Atari XL/XE/XEGS OS ver.4
or
AltirraOS for XL/XE/XEGS.
For any other OS, the game screen for (.car) will load but when an option is selected (using arrows) and then Enter is pressed, the emulator freezes
madi

Strange..

I tested the game on Altirra 3.10-test28 WIN10 X64

The file: Ikhtabir Thaka'ak (198x)(aDawliah)(SA),bin works only when AltirraOS for XL/XE/XEGS is selected as an OS. The cartridge mapper 52 *MicroCalc 32K also must be selected.

The file: Ikhtabir Thaka'ak (198x)(aDawliah)(SA).car, is automatically picked up by Altirra.

The game executed normally using either:

Atari XL/XE/XEGS OS ver.4
or
AltirraOS for XL/XE/XEGS.
For any other OS, the game screen for (.car) will load but when an option is selected (using arrows) and then Enter is pressed, the emulator freezes
madi

I used the 32-bit Altirra on Mac using Wine (64-bit crashes when I launch it). The Altirra build 3.10-test28 allows me to select mapper 69 by checking "Show all cartridge types even if they may not work" first. Mapper 52 is definitely not the correct mapper since aDawliah had their own mapping schemes.

A slight change of topic, is there any SD/CompactFlash cartridge out there today that can run mappers 69 and 70 on an Atari XE/XL machine?

• 1 year later...
11 hours ago, fargo said:

@Fred_M your posts there had been deleted. Could you please upload the 4th tape's dump here?

The 4th file is a copy of "Shooting Arcade" by Datasoft. We have never been able to proof that this game should be on this (generic) tape. That's is the reason why we have never made an entry for this one on a8preservation.com. But here it is, enjoy! 

arcade_shooting_adawliah.cas

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi all!  I keep reviving this thread every time I lay a hand on anything related to aDawliah’s gems: Najm Atari cartridges in Arabic.  Here a user on Instagram shared these images from a collector in the Gulf region.  He would not tell me who the collector is, so I have no chance to even try to make an offer to purchase these carts and make their images public to preserve their content.  A pity indeed.

Any way, let us take a look at these one at a time from the top left:

الكهرباء al-Kahrabā’ or Electricity

الكسور al-Kusūr or Fractions

بنك المعلومات ١ Bank al-Malūmāt or Bank of Information

الحركة al-Harakah or Motion

الفراهيدي al-Farāhīdī who is the father of Arabic poetry

ABC Najm

الطاقة at-Tāqah or Energy

منسق الكلمات Munassiq al-Kalimāt or Word Processor

إنجليزي Inglīzī or English

الأحرف الهجائية al-Ahruf al-Hijāiyyah or The Alphabets

أشكال ومساحات Ashkāl wa Misāhāt or Shapes and Areas

كيف يعمل الكمبيوتر Kayfa ya’mal ul-kumpūter or How Computer Works (twice)

جابر بن حيان  ٢ Jābir bin Hayyān or Geber

لبيبة والسنافر Labībah was Sanāfir or Labiba and the Smurfs

اختبر ذكائك Ikhtabir Thaka’ak or Test Your Intelligence 

نجم بيسك Najm BASIC

الكلمة الخفية al-Kalimah al-Khafiyyah or The Hidden Word

الصياد as-Sayyād or TheHunter (or Fisherman?)

الأشكال والأعداد al-Askhāl wal A’adād or Shapes and Numbers

لبيبة والسنافر Labībah was Sanāfir or Labiba and the Smurfs (again)

المجموعات al-Majmū’āt or Sets

جابر بن حيان Jābir bin Hayyān or Geber (Part 1)

Unknown

IMG_7830.thumb.jpeg.495a620956fe4cb358f38a37067c5eaf.jpeg

Here goodness continues also from the top left:

حساب الفضاء Hisāb al-Fadhā’ or Computation of Space

اختبر ذكاءك Ikhtabir Thakā’ak or Test Your Intelligence 

المنجنيق al-Manjanīq or The Catapult

الفراهيدي al-Farāhīdī

بنك المعلومات Bank al-Ma'lūmāt

جابر بن حيان Jābir bin Hayyān

لبيبة والسنافر Labība was Sanāfir II

IMG_7831.thumb.jpeg.08e99410ce4bb33c9e7c838f1fbc987b.jpeg

Here is one more:

IMG_7850.jpeg.afd604f5d93d80097bd46720309338e0.jpeg

المعلم في النحو al-Muallim fin Nahw or The Teacher in Grammar.

There was one more cartridge he showed but the image of it is so blurry.  The title of the cartridge is

كيف تعمل الأشياء Kayfa Ta’malul Ashyā’ or How Things Work.  I wonder if this is an exhaustive list of all Arabic carts from aDawliah.  Let me know your thoughts.  I shared a disk image of ath-Thākirah or Memory before but I have never seen it in a cartridge format.  Also we have the Dictionary al-Qāmūs on AA.  

Edited by atari65xenajm
  • Like 8

Thanks atari65xenajm!

I see that the "Bank al-Malūmāt" cartridge label has a Roman "I" in the name. Could this possibly suggest that there exists a second, different Bank al-Malūmāt cartridge, similarly to "Labība was Sanāfir" and "Jābir bin Hayyān"?

Unrelated: While searching the web randomly, I found out that a) aDawliah had their own Najm-branded variant of the XC12 tape recorder, named NC-60; and that the Najm brand was not exclusive for the Atari business - aDawliah used the brand to sell a line of portable speaking dictionaries, see here and here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Kr0tki said:

Thanks atari65xenajm!

I see that the "Bank al-Malūmāt" cartridge label has a Roman "I" in the name. Could this possibly suggest that there exists a second, different Bank al-Malūmāt cartridge, similarly to "Labība was Sanāfir" and "Jābir bin Hayyān"?

Unrelated: While searching the web randomly, I found out that a) aDawliah had their own Najm-branded variant of the XC12 tape recorder, named NC-60; and that the Najm brand was not exclusive for the Atari business - aDawliah used the brand to sell a line of portable speaking dictionaries, see here and here.

Indeed Kr0tki and therefore there likely is a second cartridge.  I saw photos of the NC-60.

Speaking of Jābir bin Hayyān.  I purchased the cartridge Jābir bin Hayyān II for approximately USD 180.  Crazy expensive price, but I want these aDawliah gems to live forever.  Once it arrives, I will share a ROM image here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/27/2018 at 3:19 PM, Madi said:

I had a close look at the working image file :"Bank_ul_Maalumat.bin"

My finding is that the whole cartridge banks only serve two purposes.

1. Download a basic program (the game) to ram.

2 Provide a Basic Cartridge at $A000 - BFFF for the basic program to run

Funny.

The basic program (game) is attached. LOAD and RUN

madi

BankMalu.BAS 18.34 kB · 115 downloads

I hope you are doing well @Madi.  Something rather interesting I found out today was no matter what host computer you are using (i.e., Atari 130XE, 600XL, 800XL, 400/800), the BASIC file of Bank al-Malumat loads Najm v2 OS overwriting the memory area where European characters exist with Arabic characters.  So this program gives everyone a taste of Najm Atari 65XE!

Edited by atari65xenajm

Jabir_bin_Hayyan_II.zip

Attached are BIN images of the dump of the Jābir bin Hayyān II cartridge, which arrived today.  I used Maxflash Cartridge Studio to dump Type 8, Type 13, and Type 31 images.  None of these images worked on Altirra 4.10 (I get a SELF TEST screen).  I followed the same procedure that @Kr0tki shared a few years back (everytime I create an image dump, I disconnect and reconnect the cart).  I hope more experienced people here can provide further directions.

• Thanks 1

On 9/30/2023 at 10:06 AM, atari65xenajm said:

Found this.  Hope it helps.IMG_7855.thumb.jpeg.a67038eaa7a7e090dc706630c6ddba6d.jpeg

Yes it will. I'll mark the corner as reproduction label but it would do well for it to finally have a label on it.  I'm guessing those labels weren't very durable or the cart got plenty of love over the years 

• Like 1