IGNORED

Apparently common Coleco Gemini issue

Tupin

So, is the left controller port working randomly/not at all a recurring problem on most Geminis? I've only ever dealt with two and they both have them. Should the solder just be reflowed or is this a sign of another issue? I've tried several controllers and thankfully had Wizard of Wor on hand so I can say the right port works just fine.

Didn't it have weird custom controllers and need a splitter to use them? I wasn't aware it was fully 2600 compatible, but I have a gemini controller and LOVE it.(wish I could find more, they feel almost analog, kind of like odyssey controllers)

There is a special cable to use both the paddle and joystick IIRC. I believe you can still use regular joysticks and paddles like normal, I'm not big on gemini controllers anyway.

To answer the original question, yes, it's a common problem. The Gemini used cheap off the shelf components. I have two gemini's with the controller port problem. I had one fixed and yes it was simply a matter of reflowing the solder on the offending joystick port. Happens quite often with the power port as well.

EDIT - As I'm want to do, I made a video about this at the time

Edited by AtariLeaf
  • Like 1

So, is the left controller port working randomly/not at all a recurring problem on most Geminis? I've only ever dealt with two and they both have them. Should the solder just be reflowed or is this a sign of another issue? I've tried several controllers and thankfully had Wizard of Wor on hand so I can say the right port works just fine.

I've got the same problem with my Gemini. I would have to start the console, unplugged the controller and plug it back in a few times before it would work.

I thought the answer to this threads title was going to be " cracked cases ". I always wanted a Gemini, problem is ALL i have seen at thrift and flea markets have had severely cracked cases. Usually cracked where the RF cable goes. Anyways i find the Gemini controllers a really great design conceptually. I am still looking for one. I would probably just have to get what i see and Frankenstein out broken parts with good ones. That's the only solution for me as i've never come across one that doesn't have cracks or holes.