IGNORED

How much would you pay?

metzger130

There is a garage sale around here and they have a 4 port system, 2 controllers, power supply, the box to hook it up to the TV, 3 games (pac man, Star Raiders, and Missile command), plus the track ball for $50. it says 'untested" on it and I asked and they said they were going to hook it up to show someone else but it sparked (I know 4 ports always spark, they don't know that) and port 3 has a bent pin on it. How much would you offer them for it?

You'll probably just have to clean the gunk out of the Trak-Ball. They are sturdy controllers.

We're trying to put together as much info as possible related to Trak-Balls over in our Facebook group. Dan Kramer, the man who created the 2600 and 5200 Trak-Balls is an active member...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/trakbombers/

• Like 1

so I offered them $40 for it since we had no idea if it worked or not and they agreed. First thing I did was hook up the trak ball to my 2 port system While it works, it is very rough and loud, which tells me it needs cleaned. The one button works with missile command so I'm guessing it works (what game uses more than 1 button?). I then plugged the 4 port into a TV I had just laying around since it would be much easier to hook it up. at first I was getting nothing, and I mean NOTHING. Power light wouldn't come on at all. finally after tapping around the power button the light came on. I found that the only way it works is if you hit the bottom R corner of the power button. Not sure if cleaning would help this or not. The picture looks excellent, even with that stupid box and the connection not being great on the end of the box to the TV, actually looks a little cleaner than my 2 port. All 3 games load up fine. Controllers....... well what can you say about the 5200 controllers..... First one I plugged in I got missile command to start up and I could move the cursor all around, however, no shock to ANYONE, none of the side buttons would work. Start, reset, and pause all work, but side buttons don't work. I'll have to rip it apart and clean it and maybe dot trick it to see if it will work. The other one, I couldn't get the game to start at all, so I put it as controller 2 as a 2 player game for missile command. moves around with no problem, but again, side buttons don't work at all. have to open that one up, clean it and see if it works.

Odd thing though, I hooked up the trak ball and the cursor wouldn't move, so I unplugged it and tried again, it went to the Upper L and if I moved the trak ball it wouuld go the way I wanted it to but then would go back tot he upper L again. This is odd since it works on the 2 port and the stock controllers move just fine. any ideas here?

Overall, I'd say well worth the $40 I paid for it.

so I offered them $40 for it since we had no idea if it worked or not and they agreed. First thing I did was hook up the trak ball to my 2 port system While it works, it is very rough and loud, which tells me it needs cleaned. The one button works with missile command so I'm guessing it works (what game uses more than 1 button?). I then plugged the 4 port into a TV I had just laying around since it would be much easier to hook it up. at first I was getting nothing, and I mean NOTHING. Power light wouldn't come on at all. finally after tapping around the power button the light came on. I found that the only way it works is if you hit the bottom R corner of the power button. Not sure if cleaning would help this or not. The picture looks excellent, even with that stupid box and the connection not being great on the end of the box to the TV, actually looks a little cleaner than my 2 port. All 3 games load up fine. Controllers....... well what can you say about the 5200 controllers..... First one I plugged in I got missile command to start up and I could move the cursor all around, however, no shock to ANYONE, none of the side buttons would work. Start, reset, and pause all work, but side buttons don't work. I'll have to rip it apart and clean it and maybe dot trick it to see if it will work. The other one, I couldn't get the game to start at all, so I put it as controller 2 as a 2 player game for missile command. moves around with no problem, but again, side buttons don't work at all. have to open that one up, clean it and see if it works.

Odd thing though, I hooked up the trak ball and the cursor wouldn't move, so I unplugged it and tried again, it went to the Upper L and if I moved the trak ball it wouuld go the way I wanted it to but then would go back tot he upper L again. This is odd since it works on the 2 port and the stock controllers move just fine. any ideas here?

Overall, I'd say well worth the $40 I paid for it.

do the controllers do the same thing? if so, sounds like the 5200 system position pot is off. it's something that the system needs to be opened and adjusted for sometimes.

Edited by thucom

I hooked it back up and tried the controllers again to verify what I thought. The controllers work fine, they stay in the middle of the screen til I move it and they don't go to the L side automatically. I then verified it with a controller that I know works and everything works great. Just does not like the trak ball for some reason.