IGNORED

FOUND IN THE BARN

Fredteer

Still finding little remnants of old Atari in the barn. The latest find was a box containing four 5 1/4 floppy carriers filled with game files. The box came from a Atari surplus sale in the early 80s'. I don't know if the floppies actually have date on them and if the data, being stored so long, is not corrupted.

I'll try and find a floppy drive to see if data is still on the disk. I have six photos so I'll post two at a time

post-39684-0-88862700-1412105729_thumb.jpg

post-39684-0-33813700-1412105813_thumb.jpg

Nice find if the data is still viable.

But a word of CAUTION: Look at the disks carefully, if they are spotted, don't use them, because chances are the magnetic media will flake off and gum up your disk drive heads, or dislodge enough of it to physically scratch the disk.

Keep the cleaning supplies handy, if you start to get ANY error, stop and clean before you proceed.

You may only get one or two passes out of this old disks, so COPY first!

GOOD LUCK! :)

checked a couple of disks found them to be nice and shiney, no spots. Don't remember that far back but were the 5 1/4 floppies different densities?

Was the drive compatible with different disk densities/

Thanks for your input.

there were densities of 360kb and 1.2MB, single sided and double sided. 1.2MB drives can read 360kb disks, but not vice versa.