IGNORED

Best 2600 arcade translation?

Army Of 2600

I think the truly most impressive is Star wars Arcade, when you look to the original and the fact is is a powerful vector beast and what was pulled of on the 2600 i think its amazing. I never had the chance to play this game when it was released but i would of lost my mind.

Jr Pac-Man is also very good as is centipede, millipede, Asteroids, Battlezone, Road Runner, Wizard of Wor, Ms Pac-Man, Q-bert, Defender 2, Solar Fox, spy Hunter, Spy hunter is very good, Congo Bongo, Tapper is excellent, Berzerk, pengo..........Wow its only at times like these that you remember how many fantastic games this wonderous system has.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

No one mentioned Gorf!?

For me it's very impressive how much was crammed into a regular 4k ROM.

Doesn't look like there were a lot of sacrifices to the gameplay, neither is it a flicker-fest like some more known Arcade ports. Pac Man and the like pale in comparison.

As for the ones already listed, Jungle Hunt is also among my favorites, being very close to the original and it doesn't feel anyhow restricted either.

Edited by Mef
  • Like 1

Jungle Hunt was done pretty well I agree. The only 2 things that would make it better are change it back to Jungle King (with the tarzan-like person) but that was already done by someone out there as a hack.. and the last is to add background music which was a big part of the arcade games atmosphere imo. Heck Moon Patrol had it. :)

Phoenix, Stargate, and Lady Bug get my vote.

No one mentioned Gorf!?
For me it's very impressive how much was crammed into a regular 4k ROM.

I love Gorf, but I wouldn't call it a great conversion. It is a very good game, but doesn't feel at all like the arcade game to me.

• 1 year later...

There are only a few homebrews that take advantage of "modern tech", by which I refer to the Melody board. They are:

- Chetiry

- Space Rocks

- Epic Adventure

That's it, as far as games that have currently been released. There are other games in the pipeline that will use the Melody (such as Stay Frosty 2). And several released homebrews use SARA RAM, but since that was available "back in the day", I don't consider that "modern tech".

What makes a big difference is the open collaboration of information, fantastic emulators, flash-based carts for faster testing on real hardware, the Stella debugger, and so forth.

..Al

Don't forget that Duck Attack! has a Melody upgrade!

If I had to pick one arcade port that I remember having the most fun with, it was Mario Bros.. No need to slaughter me over this. It already went down in another thread, years ago. I know it's flawed majorly. But at the time, it was a blast to me. I was used to so many of those gen consoles having flawed arcade ports. And the 2600/VCS was not to me, probably what it was to most members on here. I mean I love it and all. But, the first video game console that I ever owned, and was fanatical about, was the Intellivision. I got an Atari 2600 Jr. post crash, as it had all these arcade ports, that I would no longer need to hound my dad for quarters to play. ;)

Anyways, it's really that Shigeru Miyamoto game philosophy that I fell in love with. Despite MB's flaws, enough shined through that it was a lot of fun to me. No surprise that a couple years later, the NES and I were in a VERY committed relationship. I traded my old minibike frame for two NES carts.

I'd love to see a 2600 hack that corrects the flaws, adds nice screens between levels. You know, that super-fine deluxe treatment that seems to be going around these parts all the time now. I thought there was a MB fix hack being worked on, but I haven't seen/heard anything about it. I need to find out. I'd love to see what Sprybug would do with that game btw. Somehow make it better than the arcade original lol. Freaking David Blaine that guy is.

Oh and @Albert, PLEASE more ZIppy CIB's. Chris told me you're the one to spindash about it. ;) Oh and please again (more CIB's)!

Edited by MadZiontist