IGNORED

Need help finding out an old Atari ST game

Zap!

BTW, I do not like the name of the trashcan icon. The Commodore Amiga computer is a much nicer computer than the Atari ST. So, you should have some respect for the Amiga. I have always owned both the Amiga and the Atari ST computers, and I have never taken part in the stupid Amiga vs Atari ST war. I know that the Amiga is a better computer, but, I still love and enjoy using my Atari ST computers. Look at it this way- the Amiga can emulate an Atari ST computer at full speed, including most games, but, the Atari ST can NOT emulate an Amiga computer at any speed. This one fact proved to me, years ago, which computer was the more powerful.

It's no different than Yankees-Red Sox, Giants-Cowboys, Lakers-Celtics, or even Diamond Back-Mongoose. It's just a friendly fun rivalry, with the garbage can being "boys will be boys 80s-style" rivalry humor. It's not serious stuff like Democrats vs Republicans. It's much more light-hearted.

BTW, I do not like the name of the trashcan icon. The Commodore Amiga computer is a much nicer computer than the Atari ST. So, you should have some respect for the Amiga. I have always owned both the Amiga and the Atari ST computers, and I have never taken part in the stupid Amiga vs Atari ST war. I know that the Amiga is a better computer, but, I still love and enjoy using my Atari ST computers. Look at it this way- the Amiga can emulate an Atari ST computer at full speed, including most games, but, the Atari ST can NOT emulate an Amiga computer at any speed. This one fact proved to me, years ago, which computer was the more powerful.

Wait! Wha? I feel like this topic just went in an entirely different direction. Did I miss a message? The first mention of the Amiga seems to be here.

BTW: By pointing out the advantages the Amiga has over Atari, aren't you partaking in Amiga vs Atari? ;-)

As far as this game, I noticed the guy posts an address where you can send him $10. Wouldn't it be funny for him to go to his mailbox one morning to see that payment. Should we adjust for inflation? ;-)

Wait! Wha? I feel like this topic just went in an entirely different direction. Did I miss a message? The first mention of the Amiga seems to be here.

BTW: By pointing out the advantages the Amiga has over Atari, aren't you partaking in Amiga vs Atari? ;-)

As far as this game, I noticed the guy posts an address where you can send him $10. Wouldn't it be funny for him to go to his mailbox one morning to see that payment. Should we adjust for inflation? ;-)

Well, since the game was in 1988 there's a good chance he doesn't live there anymore..

As per the Atari vs Amiga thingy... don't worry, only Amiga makes it possible!

Dude, chill out, it's only an icon. It's not like he physically hurt a real machine, like set it on fire, as shown in this illustration:

iaghpaadl.jpg

(one down, a few million to go!)

The screenshot of the intro to the game that I posted had a trash can with the word AMIGA on it. I only posted it because I thought showing the monitor, keyboard, and fake desktop was kind of creative, had no idea it would provoke a pro-Amiga rant!

I've often thought about posting cheques to some of these random old addresses- some of the people might still be living there, it would be pretty cool for them to get a cheque out of the blue :)

Yea, it might be a longshot but my mom still lives in the same house since 1979 so it's possible. Sending a check would at least give the chance for you to know he got it by the act of cashing it. Of couse, you could be there for the reaction but I think we could all expect a WTF moment and might even put a smile on his face.

• Like 1

Yet for all it's "power", it (the Amiga) couldn't run some 3D games as fast as the ST could.

Huh. What about that? :)

There were times (like some 3D games) when that small difference in CPU speed did make a big difference. When you bring that up the usual Amiga reply is that they were talking about an A10,000 or something which runs 400MHz, not an A500.

Anyway this is all rather irrelevant in an Atari ST/TT group, I don't care about Amigas at all. I have an irrational hatred of the machine due to the majority of Amiga owners I knew in the late '80s/early '90s being complete a-holes. It can't be a universal thing, but many encounters with Amiga owners nowadays (such as the guy in this thread) only serve to reinforce that prejudice.

If I had an Amiga I'd use it to recreate that burning C64 photo that was linked to above ;)

• Like 1

Yeah...I put a smiley face on that post for a reason. The Amiga vs ST wars amuse

me now. I have to admit though, back in the day I was quick to counter-attack when

any ST bashing started.

I'm sure you can troll back through Atari Age and Atari Forum (and comp.sys. news

groups!) and find any number of message threads that I've been involved in.

I've actually owned an A1000, A2000, and two A1200's. The 1200's are cheaply made,

IMHO. When I set one down next to a Falcon 030, it comes up lacking in a lot of ways.

With that said, the 1200 did give a lot of bang for the buck, with a fair software library

available for it. The 2000 had a lot of expansion possibilities - too bad so many of them

were far too pricey for me. Of all the Amiga's I've owned, I liked the A1000 the best. I

love that keyboard, the feel (although the keys were a bit too compact), and the idea

of a recessed keyboard well under the main case was just bril. There's a certain amount

of attraction for me, concerning the inside top cover as well. That was pretty cool.

Still...at the end of the day, for me, the Amiga was a trip to an exotic, foreign land, while the ST

was all about coming home... :)

Edited by DarkLord
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

HI Folks, it's amazing to see that game again after all these years. I had to look up 'Naff', and now I'm offended :) Well, I was no artist as can be told from the graphics, but I thought the game play was pretty good. I've lost the source to the game itself, sadly, but I have the construction set I used to make all the levels. It was a lot of fun writing that game.

If you have 2 ST's, you can play a 2 player version of it with a null modem cable, which I thought was pretty advanced at the time :)

You all owe me money, btw. I figure with inflation it comes to around $1000 each. I'll be checking the mailbox!

Edited by danwinslow
  • Like 1

Wow. Played for a while. Graphics are terrible, but there's a lot of depth to the game. Save often. The flowers and mushrooms and stuff are key, get them all. Amaranthus cures wounds, Ucronomous berries heal poison. Bloodwort fungus cures bleeding. Babblefruit makes you go insane for a while, lol. Monsters will follow you if you leave them close to the edge of a screen. You can lead them into the starting 'castle' and the guards may help you. I'd forgotten that the whole thing is real time, and you can be attacked even when you are looking at inventory or buying/selling. Hardcore! Make sure you train after every level, if you level without training you'll lose that opportunity. Anyone have the manual?

The first one was just a demo, the second one that has 2 disks is the 'commercial' game. It plays a LOT better if you create a hard disk and copy all of the files into it, then you don't have to switch disks all the time. I thought I had made it so it would pick up the fact that disk 2 is in B drive, but it didn't seem to work, at least on Steem.

Edited by danwinslow
  • Like 1

HI Folks, it's amazing to see that game again after all these years. I had to look up 'Naff', and now I'm offended :) Well, I was no artist as can be told from the graphics, but I thought the game play was pretty good. I've lost the source to the game itself, sadly, but I have the construction set I used to make all the levels. It was a lot of fun writing that game.

If you have 2 ST's, you can play a 2 player version of it with a null modem cable, which I thought was pretty advanced at the time :)

You all owe me money, btw. I figure with inflation it comes to around $1000 each. I'll be checking the mailbox!

Dan, you are my idol! While I was searching for more info on you and Hero! last night, I was pleasantly surprised that you are not only still a loyal Atarian, but actively post on Atari Age! Like I said in the PM, I have many great memories playing this game with my nephew in the early 90's. As for it being hard, you're telling me! I never even beat it. I demand a walkthrough with maps! :)

And don't worry about that guy Naff. Your game is still fondly remembered, while he is a distant memory. It should have been in every Atarian's library. I wish it had gotten more exposure, so everyone would have had the chance to experience it. So, what's the ending like? Do you remember if it was any good or not? Any special invincibility codes? How long is it?