IGNORED

Getting ahold of a Jag CD unit

Mutantant

Hey there. Long time lurker, first time poster :)

I've been going through my old video game collection, deciding what to part with and what to keep. Some of this stuff (Neo Geo Pocket Color, etc.) has been simply sitting and collecting dust in storage for years, and so to Ebay they go.

But peeking through the goodies has rekindled my Jaguar itch. It was my favorite system, and the first I owned myself that wasn't part of the "family's" systems.

Hell, I loved the system so much I spent much of my time playing it, or reviewing games on my old-assed decrepit 90's website, Krislee's Atari Jaguar Reference Site on the long gone GeoCities. I recently re-found my page on a GeoCities backup server, http://www.oocities.org/timessquare/fortress/6368

Wow, those were the days... pure HTML and scrolling marquee text :grin:

Sadly, being out of the Jag loop for a few years means I've missed some great one-off stuff (like the Skunkboard and Another World).

Anyway, I still have my original Jag and I want to find a replacement for my CD unit which, sadly, died a few years back. Anyone have any leads, besides Ebay? I may end up shelling out the $300 I see the CD unit averaging on Ebay, but I figured I would talk to the experts at AtariAge first.

Thanks!

• Like 4

Yeah, I went through a phase where I collected every system. Even, for a while, had an Atari 7800, NES, Genesis, Jaguar, XBox, PS2, and others hooked up at once in a huge mess of wires and chaos. Not to mention all my portables - NGPC, various Game Boys, a Lynx II with 30+ games, N-Gage QD, PSP, DS, Sega Nomad, Sega Game Gear, etc.

I'm going through and parting with most of it. Simply don't use them.

Oh, and on the Jag CD -- I found my old unit and smacked it around a bit. First off, I can't have it seated all the way or I get the red screen. Then the mechanism is sticking sometimes. But after a few whacks from left to right while the mechanism was trying to work, it seems to have un-stuck itself. We will see how long that lasts.

Now comes the fun part - trying to set the thing up somewhere comfortable. I have a crap flatscreen TV that doesn't really look nice and has a dead pixel but is small and can sit next to my PC on my desk. Or there is the big, bulbous CRT TV in the other room, but that is where the wife works most of the day so that's out. And then the livingroom where the giant husky will always pull the controller cord out of the system like a big old furry putz.

If only there was a simple way to pipe it through my PC like the old video capture cards did back in the day, but most of those devices are in the hundreds of dollars now and seem to cater to video capture when I just want to play the game in a window like I had a little floating TV on my screen.

You can replace the laser mech itself, I have an extra one just in case (14.00 from China ) and a capacitor kit from Console5. If the roms go bad ( doubtful ) then send it to best electronics. If you need the part number, I can look it up..

a part number and the website that sells the said laser mechanism would be great :)

• Like 1

Sorry best electronics rather, I always mix the two up..

They went up to $175 on August 29th. Says he's getting low on stock.

Might be the best time to buy since they'll only go up :)

"Best's Reconditioned Atari Jaguar CD Player only with normal 90 day Atari Warranty. $175 plus Max. US Shipping $12.35"

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/

About 1/5th down the page.

Hell, I loved the system so much I spent much of my time playing it, or reviewing games on my old-assed decrepit 90's website, Krislee's Atari Jaguar Reference Site on the long gone GeoCities. I recently re-found my page on a GeoCities backup server, http://www.oocities.org/timessquare/fortress/6368

Wow, those were the days... pure HTML and scrolling marquee text :grin:

Your web rage rocks :cool:

Yeah, I went through a phase where I collected every system. Even, for a while, had an Atari 7800, NES, Genesis, Jaguar, XBox, PS2, and others hooked up at once in a huge mess of wires and chaos. Not to mention all my portables - NGPC, various Game Boys, a Lynx II with 30+ games, N-Gage QD, PSP, DS, Sega Nomad, Sega Game Gear, etc.

I'm going through and parting with most of it. Simply don't use them.

Oh, and on the Jag CD -- I found my old unit and smacked it around a bit. First off, I can't have it seated all the way or I get the red screen. Then the mechanism is sticking sometimes. But after a few whacks from left to right while the mechanism was trying to work, it seems to have un-stuck itself. We will see how long that lasts.

Now comes the fun part - trying to set the thing up somewhere comfortable. I have a crap flatscreen TV that doesn't really look nice and has a dead pixel but is small and can sit next to my PC on my desk. Or there is the big, bulbous CRT TV in the other room, but that is where the wife works most of the day so that's out. And then the livingroom where the giant husky will always pull the controller cord out of the system like a big old furry putz.

If only there was a simple way to pipe it through my PC like the old video capture cards did back in the day, but most of those devices are in the hundreds of dollars now and seem to cater to video capture when I just want to play the game in a window like I had a little floating TV on my screen.

Learn how easy it is to take apart the CD player and clean its interior and all contacts. Even take out the little daugthterboard and clean the contacts on it and the CD player motherboard socket it goes into. i.e. old t-shirt/pillow case strip dipped in 50/50 water-rubbing alcohol solution and put around a credit card. A lot of the mechanism problems come from it not being seated right.

This clears up most problems. In the small chance its something more serious see the above posters suggestions. It's a very easy unit to fix. Your problem sounds like seating/contact problems.

• Like 1

Learn how easy it is to take apart the CD player and clean its interior and all contacts. Even take out the little daugthterboard and clean the contacts on it and the CD player motherboard socket it goes into. i.e. old t-shirt/pillow case strip dipped in 50/50 water-rubbing alcohol solution and put around a credit card. A lot of the mechanism problems come from it not being seated right.

This clears up most problems. In the small chance its something more serious see the above posters suggestions. It's a very easy unit to fix. Your problem sounds like seating/contact problems.

I use 99% isopropyl alcohol. It cleans, evaporates quickly and doesn't leave residue.

If your PC still has PCI slots, second-hand analog TV cards are pretty cheap. USB-based versions also exist but quality, latency, etc. may not be as good.

Cool, the CD unit he sent me was very well packed and he used 'pilfer proof' Atari logoed tape all over the box. Took a week to get into it (j/k)

I kept the box as a memento and ended up filling it w/ Jaguar items. It would be great if he'd sell more than one per person. Would load up 8)