IGNORED

Midwest Gaming Classic april 11th and 12th ,2015

Dan Iacovelli

Any thrift stores in the area that might still have CRTs? They stopped accepting them at goodwill in December out here. It sucks cause I used to just buy one on the way up and donate it back on the way down. :P

also looking for a circle pad pro to hack to bits for my 2DS

Where's "out here?" The ones in the Milwaukee area still have them AFAIK. Or at least the ones I go to do. :-D

Any thrift stores in the area that might still have CRTs? They stopped accepting them at goodwill in December out here. It sucks cause I used to just buy one on the way up and donate it back on the way down. :P

also looking for a circle pad pro to hack to bits for my 2DS

Where's "out here?" The ones in the Milwaukee area still have them AFAIK. Or at least the ones I go to do. :-D

Unfortunately, Milwaukee area Goodwills stopped accepting CRTs last December as well...I made it just under the wire, donating a ridiculously heavy 32" tube TV that got replaced by a 50" Black Friday flatscreen last year. As far as the non-Goodwill Milwaukee thrifts go...I can't say.

Edited by Goodwill Hunter

I've had a few CIB Vectrex extras laying around if anyone is interested. I know a couple Clean Sweeps, a Star Trek and I think one other. Been too lazy to put them up for sale, but happy to trade or bring them along if someone is interested in buying.

He's looking for a Model IV actually and is a cheaper/tighter SOB than even I! :lol:

Well a III or 4 honestly. But yeah I don't want to spend quite that much on one considering I have a broken one that may be getting fixed eventually.

Well a III or 4 honestly. But yeah I don't want to spend quite that much on one considering I have a broken one that may be getting fixed eventually.

G.L.L.B.! (good luck little buddy, which is why you've been searching for years).

Re: CRT's around here, southern area WI Goodwill's have also ceased taking in TV's. They always seemed to turn the things over, especially since they were priced at nearly give-a-way prices. $.99-$3 typically.

G.L.L.B.!

(good luck little buddy, which is why you've been searching for years)

Next!

The person repairing it is doing so for free, so I can't really complain about how long it takes. :). He's actually just about done but is entering a busy time for him and may not get back to it for a bit. I'm also somewhat worried I may not get this thing back together again so I'm looking for a working one on the side.

Looking for years? Meh, not really. I glance at eBay every few months when the mood strikes me, but I'd hardly say I'm actively seeking one out. With patience one can be had for $150 or less. $300 seems a bit high to me unless it's in mint condition or you've done some mods to it. Then again they do go that high now and then so maybe that's not out of line.

Another great show in the books! (Unless you own the Primal Rage 2 proto cab that was there...then maybe it wasn't so great.) I had the time of my life as always, and despite trying to get rid of a couple of things, somehow came home with more than I brought. ;)

And the classic Tempest vs. Bassguitari Atari Football games were much less lopsided. :-D

Now, after five days off...back to real life. :(

What happened to the proto cab? Some kids ruin it or fell off a truck or something? :lol:

Some asshat got drunk and dumped a beer all over it and screwed up the board. The show is paying for damages/repair costs, but still.

Of all the games that could happen to, it had to be a proto of which only two or three are known to exist!

Edited by BassGuitari
  • Like 1

Some asshat got drunk and dumped a beer all over it and screwed up the board. The show is paying for damages/repair costs, but still.

Of all the games that could happen to, it had to be a proto of which only two or three are known to exist!

Oh man, so sorry to hear that! Wow. Yeah, it's enough keeping kids and their damned food and drinks away from this stuff but "adults" should be drawn and quartered for being so careless. :mad:

My pics from the weekend. Sorry Dan for taking a pass on the Jag stuff this year...I wanted to focus on bringing arcade cabs.

Friday setup

The weekend

no problem, we plan on doing jagfest next year at mgc.

if your interested let me know if you want bring your jaguar for either vgs'15 or Atari week/Atarimania at ghost.(or both)

Atari week is still being worked between me and doc, hes going to pick the week(as long it before vgs)

I was there again, didn't see too many people this year from Atariage but we had the doubletree "back up" hotel so I was not at the actual show as long as I usually am. I briefly met up with Bombjoy and the crew but thats about it for AA members, I think I saw them later on as well so maybe some others were with?..but that parts a little fuzzy (hey, I started drinking at noon, lol) Man, was it PACKED! Almost too busy for my tastes, felt like I was at a college frat house sometimes, lol. I guess what I'm getting at is there were a LOT of younger people this year, not a bad thing but the show is definitely very popular!

The show has come a long way though, saw a lot of my old pinball buddies at the after party in the arcade room, always a good time but they agreed it's getting pretty big compared to prior years and attracting a "different" crowd than it used to :) I saw a crowd of kids (I say kids but probably near 30 years old, lol) ogling the NBA JAM machine as a "golden era" classic....what??? :)

I thought everything in the vending area was overpriced but I think that is just classic games in general these days so unless you have a time machine you will never make me happy on that, lol. Did pick up a few odds and ends of course :) Wow has the museum come a long way, used to be the size of a walk in closet but now it's the size of...well....a museum ;)

Had the most fun at the other after party in Star Worlds arcade, the big one in the main arcade was a blast too but the Starworlds one had just the right amount of people, pizza and classic arcade machines. I seem to remember telling him I would make some giant pac mans or something...better send him an email and see just what I agreed to here :-o

Overall I will probably always say I had more fun when it wasn't so damn huge (the Oconomowac years are still my favorites) but thats just my general dislike for overcrowded events. I still had a great time and will be back next year :) Next time I will plan ahead and get a room at the actual show though :D

• Like 2

So you were there. Jeff and I were looking for you but never saw you.

Yeah, I was looking for you guys and S1500 but no luck! My friends were not handling the crowds well though and kept getting me to go hang outside with them (I "think" one is on anxiety meds so he was kind of stressed/etc..) they are heavy smokers too so I think they just felt a little more comfortable out there. I did manage to bum around a bit though, watched a few guest speakers (I had no idea who they were or what they were talking about but the rather attractive middle aged bartender woman was pouring a mean Beam and coke, lol) Next year lets all swap numbers and we can text/meet up etc..

but the rather attractive middle aged bartender woman was pouring a mean Beam and coke, lol) Next year lets all swap numbers and we can text/meet up etc..

Yeah she's there every year. I forget her name but she has an amazing memory and seems to remember everyone. Exchanging number is probably the best way to go next year.

Yeah, I was looking for you guys and S1500 but no luck! My friends were not handling the crowds well though and kept getting me to go hang outside with them (I "think" one is on anxiety meds so he was kind of stressed/etc..) they are heavy smokers too so I think they just felt a little more comfortable out there. I did manage to bum around a bit though, watched a few guest speakers (I had no idea who they were or what they were talking about but the rather attractive middle aged bartender woman was pouring a mean Beam and coke, lol) Next year lets all swap numbers and we can text/meet up etc..

Yeah, we can do that. I didn't even know you were there. Ran into madaracs late night after Satruday closed. Gf and I are pondering ways to get into the after party, by thus bringing machines. Problem is we only have room for 1 pin in a minivan.

We did the cosplay contest since one friend we had entered it and won. Yes, it was the AC/DC Luci girl.

Yes, the rum & cokes were significantly strong. The bar seemed 100% unprepared for business after the show closed on Saturday 8pm. There were plenty of eager drinkers come that time.

As far as stuff being overpriced in the vendor area, while I think it's generally true to some degree, I also think it depends on what you're looking for. Anything that says "Nintendo" or "NEC" on it is gonna be jacked way the hell up, as are pretty much any 16- or 32-bit RPGs. I think part of it has to do with the increasing cost vendors have to pay for inventory -- I heard a couple of different vendors talking about how expensive it is just to get stuff for their shelves now-- and the other part is how competitive those markets are right now. Definitely sellers' markets.

Luckily for me, most people have moved past the Pre-Crash era so prices on a lot of that stuff seem to be on the decline (granted, some areas are still hyper-competitive...*cough*Vectrex*cough*). I scored a 2600 Robin Hood -- an R8 cart -- for just $20; five or ten years ago, that probably would have been a $60+ cart. I also got a pile of Atari Corp. and Sears carts for $2 on Sunday (nothing rare or anything, just some label variations I was missing). I think the most expensive Atari-related items I saw were a Mean 18 for 7800 with box (but no manual) for $90 -- which struck me as really high -- and CIB Ninja Golf for $60. There was also an 800XL set with 410, 810, printer, and a bunch of carts for $200. Several vendors don't even bother with Pre-Crash anymore because it just doesn't sell anymore. Or maybe they'll have a token box of grungy 2600 or Colecovision commons or something for retro cred.

As for the museum, it's taken on a life of its own and I'm proud to be a part of it. :) I only wish I could do it as a full-time job.

Edited by BassGuitari

(granted, some areas are still hyper-competitive...*cough*Vectrex*cough*).

I saw someone walking off with that sealed Vectrex from Sean Kelly's booth. Then again how often do you see a sealed Vectrex?

The bar is always overwhelmed when the show closes. It was actually worse when the show was during March Madness. Last year we completely ran the bar out of everything on tap and several varieties of bottled beer. They must make some serious bank when MGC is in town.