IGNORED

SkunkBoard SillyVenture Edition how to BUY.

willyvmm

I just sent him a e-mail, but his profile says he hasn't logged into the forums for over six months. Not too optimistic on getting a response.

Krikzz? Is he a member here or on a different forum? I sent a message to his real email about 2 years ago asking him to consider making a 7800 EverDrive. Never heard a peep back.

• 1 month later...

Anyone hear back a response yet and if these are realistically going to be available again? It's a shame when such a nice piece comes along for the Jaguar and then it's no longer made.

To be fair there were if I remember correctly there were 4 runs on these. I think the trouble is that there are obsolete parts involved.

• 1 month later...

I'm currently working on building a batch of 10, version 3. I'm having a slight problem with getting the BJL programmed.

I'm assuming I use the impact file that is in sources/cpld2. The impact file programs just fine. And the usb connection drops like it should. Now my problem is that I simply try to do BJL with this file: skunkbios_3.0.1-noverify.COF But the screen never goes blue. I have no problems with using BJL on my protector se cart.

Does anyone know if there something special I need to do make the skunkboard boot up to the load BJL. What should actually be on the screen when I boot up a skunkboard with only the cpld programmed?

I'm currently working on building a batch of 10, version 3. I'm having a slight problem with getting the BJL programmed.

I'm assuming I use the impact file that is in sources/cpld2. The impact file programs just fine. And the usb connection drops like it should. Now my problem is that I simply try to do BJL with this file: skunkbios_3.0.1-noverify.COF But the screen never goes blue. I have no problems with using BJL on my protector se cart.

Does anyone know if there something special I need to do make the skunkboard boot up to the load BJL. What should actually be on the screen when I boot up a skunkboard with only the cpld programmed?

Your best bet is to PM Turs for helpi. Really. Go right to the source.

http://atariage.com/forums/user/12959-tursi/

I don't get it. If you have a Skunkboard, why are you using BJL?

Anyways, check that the BJL version you're using. The ROM version is built to run from the internal ROM space, not from a cartridge.

I'm building a skunkboard from scratch, so I have a non programmed skunkboard. According to the docs, you flash (jtag) the board xlinx chip with impact. Then you are suppose to onetime bjl flash the board.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Deos anyone have the 2 demo ROMs included with the sillyventure skunk please? I seems to have erased mine.

No one have this? Lost forever! I think I actually only erased the demo rather than the ROM with images on.

For some reason I can only figure out how to write to one of the banks using Jiffi. Selecting upload to bank 2 still uploads to the same bank. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

• 3 years later...

@citrus3000psi Did you ever get this working?  I was thinking about attempting such a build myself, and my reading was that you had to have a BJL-modded Jaguar to do the BJL upload (Can't plug a Protector SE cart in while you have a Skunkboard plugged in, can't boot the BJL CD while the Skunk is plugged in either I assume?).  I don't think the Skunk itself would initialize BJL uploads on the Jag side at this point (You're literally flashing the firmware to get it to do anything beyond translate addresses a bit at this point, right?)

Cool to see others have attempted this though.  Makes me a feel a little less crazy about doing this just for the fun & learning aspect of it.

You need BJL running "somehow", or any other way of uploading a COF program to RAM and running it. I used a BJL BIOS on my machine, though if I was starting from scratch I'd skip BJL and just write an EPROM with the loader itself. The COF program is just the firmware updater, and it will write the code to the flash chip.

The hang problem mentioned above was probably because by default, the programmer looks for a USB connection in order to dump debug output, so you need to have plugged into the Skunkboard and run jcp -c to get a console up for it to output to. Something like that anyway, I think the programming script is in the public archive. You can always build the upgrader to ignore the console.

• Like 1