IGNORED

TL866CS MiniPro Eprommer

atrax27407

Select TI TMS2732A from the menu and program your chip. It works fine even though the voltage is 21V instead of 25V . I haven't had one to fail yet!!!

Doesn't work when you have a bad batch of possibly-fake 2532As from China. Over-volt protection kicks in every time.

I was referring to the lack of 2532 as a natively-supported device (i.e., doesn't need an adapter). No need to bold type everything.

Chinese-produced chips are problematic most of the time. I usually uncheck the "Chip ID" box because they won't verify as real. The TMS 2532As are actually a 21V version of the TMS2532 and they work fine - as long as they are geuine TI chips. Motorola 2532s work as well. In fact, if you can find a chip that has a similar Vpp, etc. any other manufacturer will work as long as you don't check the "Chip ID" box. For example, all 12.5V 2764s will work as long as you don't check the box. As long as the specifications are the same, they will program very nicely.

• Like 1

Chinese-produced chips are problematic most of the time. I usually uncheck the "Chip ID" box because they won't verify as real.

I think these 2532As are "real", in that they were actually produced by TI, they're just damaged. I did manage to get two (out of a batch of eight) programmed using the TMS2732 scheme, but one wouldn't re-program after I erased it (to verify that I'd actually gotten a good one).

There's this (from the thread that apparently originated the CS->A hack): http://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-411-minipro-tl866-universal-programmer-review/msg804428/#msg804428

... which refers to: http://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-411-minipro-tl866-universal-programmer-review/msg693248/#msg693248

... so I'll wire in a switch to short out C22 (thus disabling the overvoltage check) and see if the "bad" ones will program anyway.

(The chipid isn't an issue here, as the check is greyed out for TMS2732 on my setup)

Edited by ckoba

• 2 months later...

I received my minipro earlier this week and I agree with Lee, it's easy to muddle your way through.

The help files are in Chinese too but there's an English version attached to this post. Just overwrite the version in the install directory.

As you've found, the latest version of the programming software is v6.1, but the program will also detect the firmware revision of your programmer and offer an upgrade when the hardware is detected.

The A revision of the hardware (apparently) has an ISP [in-Series Programming] interface and slightly revised firmware. There's an excellent (if somewhat long) thread on the EEVBLog forum. It sounds like it was Dave's disassembly video you've already seen.

Here's a link to the EEVBlog discussion of this programmer which includes links to download a firmware hack, if you feel like adding the ISP interface at a later date.

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-411-minipro-tl866-universal-programmer-review/

Hi - Was able to download the MINIPROHELP.ZIP file but the file did not open all the way - i.e. the file only showed the left side of the screen ( text only ) when clicked on a line in the left window, nothing displayed in the right window. What went wrong?

• 3 months later...

That's the programmer I use. That's probably a good price if you think you're really going to use all of those adapters. Otherwise, try this one on Amazon. There are lots of others to choose from with fewer adapters. If you don't need the ICSP, you can get it a few dollars cheaper.

...lee

• Like 2

I'm trying to burn some 2716's for an arcade game with my TL866CS. I know the data sheet calls for VPP to be 25V, and the TL866 only goes to 21V. I get an error each time I try it to program the chip.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so are there any solutions.

Thanks!

I'm trying to burn some 2716's for an arcade game with my TL866CS. I know the data sheet calls for VPP to be 25V, and the TL866 only goes to 21V. I get an error each time I try it to program the chip.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so are there any solutions.

Thanks!

You might consider the Atmel AT28C16 as a replacement.

The Spec sheet is attached for reference.

Atmel 28C16.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

My copy of the english help file only shows topic headings on the left nothing on the right?

Any Ideas.

This is my first chip programer so I would not mind reading the help file.

Specifically when I go to program a chip what does the LOCK Bit do?

Through trial and error I have found that if LOCK Bit is checked when I run the Verify command it fails. If LOCK Bit is unchecked Verify passess and the chip works.

• 7 months later...

Hello there,

Has anyone got a working copy of the Help File for the TL866A.

As mentioned by engineer626, the link on page one appears to be incomplete.

This only shows the Contents Index, and no content in the right panel.

Here is a copy of the help file in Chinglish (English translation by one whose native tongue is Chinese): MiniProHelp_EN(sortof).zip

...lee

Hi Lee,

Thank you for that.

However, when I unzip, there are 2x components.

One is the help file, but without content as before.

The other is a J Zip archive, which McAfee virus protection gives warning that it contains AdWare.

Is it safe to open?

Hi Lee,

Thank you for that.

However, when I unzip, there are 2x components.

One is the help file, but without content as before.

The other is a J Zip archive, which McAfee virus protection gives warning that it contains AdWare.

Is it safe to open?

You’re welcome.

I guess the archive saves an internet link to JZip if you don’t have it on your computer. It should be OK. And, yes, it probably is AdWare for JZip—though AdWare implies an ongoing ad campaign on your computer and I don’t think JZip operates that way.

I do not understand what you mean by “help file, but without content as before”. The file should be 2.56 MiB in size. It is an MS HTML help file. If it is not associated with the correct program, you can right-click the file, choose “open with” and select “Microsoft HTML Help Executable”.

If, in fact, the file is empty, here is the CHM file as a TXT file. You must change the “txt” extension back to “chm” for it to work: MiniProHelp_EN(sortof).txt

...lee

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Since the GQ-4x programmer will not support PLD chips, and I've received no information on how to potentially add them from the company, I'm considering getting the TL866CS for this purpose.

Can anyone verify that the TL866CS will program either of these chips?

ATF20V8B-10PC
Datasheet: h**p://www.atmel.com/Images/doc0407.pdf

GAL20v8B-10LP
Datasheet: h**p://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/pdf/243905/LATTICE/GAL20V8B-10LP.html

I know the GAL20v8B is listed on their website as being supported but I'd like to know if anyone has consistently programmed this chip with this programmer without issue....

If any of you gurus out there can figure out how to add those chips to the devices.txt in the GQ-4X that would be awesome!

I emailed their tech support (NO response whatsoever) and posted to the forums. For those curious, here is how that conversation went.

The quick version being that the GQ-4X can program the chips but a new class needs to be added and we don't know how.

Thanks.