IGNORED

Coleco Adam Donkey Kong Junior DDP Cassette

Trebor

As the case with the prior post, figuring some ColecoVision fans may be interested in seeing this, especially if they have never seen or known about it previously.

5 screen version of DK JR. 5th screen appears to be a baking factory. From the D(igital) D(ata) P(ack) cassette of Donkey Kong Junior for the Coleco Adam.

This is not one of the popular widely distributed hacked or hybrid versions (I.E. Super DK Junior). Rather, full DDP release featuring new additions and gameplay; containing high score recording and saving as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrHGZmvCZE8

Another great conversion for the ADAM that includes an entirely new level created by Coleco programmers. This was the version that was originally planned to be released until Nintendo stepped in and told Coleco that they couldn't take liberties with their property. BTW, DK Super Game was to have a 5th level as well, but that one never got programmed and only exists in a programmer's/artists's hand drawing.

If you haven't realized, DK Jr. Super Game for the ADAM was developed before DK Super Game.

Also, back to skill levels, Mario's Backery NEEDS to be played at skill level #2, but better at #3. There are additional Dough enemies and toast shoots out of the toaster, but can be stopped by pressing the red button above it.

Another great conversion for the ADAM that includes an entirely new level created by Coleco programmers. This was the version that was originally planned to be released until Nintendo stepped in and told Coleco that they couldn't take liberties with their property. BTW, DK Super Game was to have a 5th level as well, but that one never got programmed and only exists in a programmer's/artists's hand drawing.

If you haven't realized, DK Jr. Super Game for the ADAM was developed before DK Super Game.

Also, back to skill levels, Mario's Backery NEEDS to be played at skill level #2, but better at #3. There are additional Dough enemies and toast shoots out of the toaster, but can be stopped by pressing the red button above it.

Is there a link to those sketches?

Can you describe it then?

Wish I could, but I haven't had the pleasure to see them myself and IIRC correctly they came from former Coleco employee Paul J., who goes by another name now. I was shown some hand drawn mockups for a CV Beatles game (sorry, no pics were allowed to be taken) which was a big surprise seeing as I never saw mention anywhere that such a game was planned. Unfortunately there is so much stuff like this in the hands of people that will probably never share in one way, shape or form with the retro-community.

. Unfortunately there is so much stuff like this in the hands of people that will probably never share in one way, shape or form with the retro-community.

Not to go off topic, but is this a common thing in the Colecovision community? I know you mentioned that someone had a Ms. Pac-Man proto as well that they wouldn't allow to be released or pictures taken of. This sort of thing happens in all communities, but I figured that it wouldn't be so common in a smaller community like Colecovision collecting.

Wish I could, but I haven't had the pleasure to see them myself and IIRC correctly they came from former Coleco employee Paul J., who goes by another name now. I was shown some hand drawn mockups for a CV Beatles game (sorry, no pics were allowed to be taken) which was a big surprise seeing as I never saw mention anywhere that such a game was planned. Unfortunately there is so much stuff like this in the hands of people that will probably never share in one way, shape or form with the retro-community.

That individual and friends stopped by the Coleco booth at CGE this year, and I enjoyed a brief talk with them. Wish I had known that they were involved with the DK Super Game development, as I would've asked more questions!

Not to go off topic, but is this a common thing in the Colecovision community? I know you mentioned that someone had a Ms. Pac-Man proto as well that they wouldn't allow to be released or pictures taken of. This sort of thing happens in all communities, but I figured that it wouldn't be so common in a smaller community like Colecovision collecting.

As you mentioned, this stuff happens in all communities, but I think it becomes more of an issue in the CV community because there just aren't as many of these treasures to be had/found because the system had such a short lifespan (08/1982 to 01/1985... I know, it wasn't officially orphaned by Coleco until the summer of 1985) compared to the likes of other popular systems (2600, Inty) of the time.

Seeing as Opcode made such a tremendous version of Ms. Pac-Man (part of Pac-Man Collection) and he has released the rom image freely, the fact that the actual Atarisoft Ms. Pac-Man may never be shared with the community stings a lot less. It would still be a pleasant surprise to see it released even though it was in the very early stages of development per the info. I passed on about it a while back.

The original Joust proto with sound rom image is another that probably won't even be shared, but at least a deal was struck with Pixelboy to release it in CIB form with a proper title screen added.

While us diehards will always hold out hope that these treasures will eventually be shared at least most of what is still out there is pretty well known and who knows... we might get a chance to see it in a videogame museum one day.